Kodi Community Forum
Macroblocking with new sandy bridge build, dxva2 enabled. - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Macroblocking with new sandy bridge build, dxva2 enabled. (/showthread.php?tid=98037)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

- tboooe - 2011-08-19

XBMCRocksMyBoat Wrote:I've tried the new Nightly Build yesterday and it worked perfectly. I've only tried h264 (no VC-1 yet). I'm happy. I will remove my discrete video card.

Hold the phone!!! Do you have before and after CPU usage? If this is true there is nothing stopping me from building my i3-2105 system.

- XBMCRocksMyBoat - 2011-08-20

tboooe Wrote:Hold the phone!!! Do you have before and after CPU usage? If this is true there is nothing stopping me from building my i3-2105 system.

I've tried a lot more material now. Everything plays fine using dxva2. Except XBMC doesn't use dxva2 when playing VC-1 stuff.
It uses the software codec.

I don't know what you mean by 'before and after'. But I've a CPU usage of around 1% on my 2100T when playing h264 mkv's. And around 1.5% when playing the heaviest h264 sample I know of (42Mbs birdscene) and no frame drops. But that CPU usage is probably mainly caused by streaming this stuff via the network.

I've also tried the BluRay of Avatar, and it works perfectly, because it doesn't use VC-1. It uses h264. I guess there aren't much BD's that use VC-1.

- highko - 2011-08-20

I am using the 08/19 nightly and it does not work for me.

I am using a Pentium 620, which might be the problem, but MPC-HC works fine using DXVA2.
I have to use the Intel drivers from march, since the april driver does crash on me if I attach an hdmi TV.

I tested some material and only a single 720p file worked.
All tested 1080p and 1080i and BluRay rips do not work. -> XBMC crashes

I tried around with different settings like syncing video to framerate, VSync, DebugMode and sometimes XBMC will not crash, but simply not play.

I also tried reinstalling XBMC into another folder -> same problem.

Shortform:
XBMC: Nightly 08/19
Windows: Windows Server 2008 R2 (Aero active)
Works: No
Effect: XBMC crash
CPU: Pentium G620
Driver: March release

Please post your details in either case so we might glimpse a common problem.

- JohnVee - 2011-08-21

Hey guys, just wanted to chime in here and say that I am no longer getting dropped frames or any macroblocking with DXVA2 enabled, using a Pentium G620!! Works flawlessly on all 1080p, H264 material I've tested. Fast forward and rewind is also instantaneous now, whereas before it would have a delay to resume. I'm very happy this finally got fixed!

Here is my setup:

Windows 7 64
Nightly build from 8/20
Pentium G620 (using driver from 4/10)

Hope this info helps...

- wickchucker - 2011-08-22

what is the best way to try out a nightly build without it overwriting my current Dharma install? I want to try the nightly with the option to go back to the way I have it now. I am on Windows 7.

- XBMCRocksMyBoat - 2011-08-23

wickchucker Wrote:what is the best way to try out a nightly build without it overwriting my current Dharma install? I want to try the nightly with the option to go back to the way I have it now. I am on Windows 7.

You can do one of two things:
1. Export your library, then install new version. If you want to return to the old version. You uninstall everything (including the database), and install the old version. Then you import your library backup.

2. Just install the new version to a different location, and start it in portable mode. (start XBMC.exe with the -p parameter).

- pjneder - 2011-08-23

I just built a G620 based HTPC and was about to order a discrete card. I was bummed to have to spend the extra $50. After reading this thread I canceled the just placed NewEgg order. I haven't been trying for very long so better to throw a little more time rather than money.

I see people referring to the 4/10 Intel drivers. Can someone comment on which version that is? When I look here http://wikidrivers.com/wiki/Intel_GMA_win6x I'm not sure which one is the "4/10" pack.

I'll gladly give nightly builds a try instead of Dharma 10.1 to see if I can get my G620 to stream blu-ray backups.

Thanks!

- JohnVee - 2011-08-24

pjneder Wrote:I just built a G620 based HTPC and was about to order a discrete card. I was bummed to have to spend the extra $50. After reading this thread I canceled the just placed NewEgg order. I haven't been trying for very long so better to throw a little more time rather than money.

I see people referring to the 4/10 Intel drivers. Can someone comment on which version that is? When I look here http://wikidrivers.com/wiki/Intel_GMA_win6x I'm not sure which one is the "4/10" pack.

I'll gladly give nightly builds a try instead of Dharma 10.1 to see if I can get my G620 to stream blu-ray backups.

Thanks!

I believe that's the current driver for the on board video of the G620. Running Windows update should load it for you automatically.

- art76 - 2011-08-24

Just to add, built a new H67/i5 2400 PC and tested nightly XBMC with DXVA2 enabled and works a treat. CPU usage went from 17% doing software decode to 5%.
Bummed that I not long ago purchased hardware with nvidia graphics on board for my HTPC but also very happy to know that integrated intel graphics now work as my next HTPC will be cheaper so I can put the money saved to a SSD or something.

Again thanks to all teh XBMC devs for making life better yet again! Big Grin

- phanos - 2011-08-25

Hi,

so does the latest nightly build has solve the macroblocking issue with i3/i5 core cpus?

- tboooe - 2011-08-25

art76 Wrote:Just to add, built a new H67/i5 2400 PC and tested nightly XBMC with DXVA2 enabled and works a treat. CPU usage went from 17% doing software decode to 5%.
Bummed that I not long ago purchased hardware with nvidia graphics on board for my HTPC but also very happy to know that integrated intel graphics now work as my next HTPC will be cheaper so I can put the money saved to a SSD or something.

Again thanks to all teh XBMC devs for making life better yet again! Big Grin

Great to know!!!! I am stoked to build my new HTPC now.

- XBMCRocksMyBoat - 2011-08-25

phanos Wrote:Hi,

so does the latest nightly build has solve the macroblocking issue with i3/i5 core cpus?

Yes. But XBMC doesn't use DXVA2 for VC-1 codec, it uses software decoding instead. However, that is not a big issue, since there is very little VC-1 stuff out there.

- RXP91 - 2011-08-26

Is anyone else having issues with randomly dropped frames on the latest nightlies using DXVA? I'm on an Ion box, never had issues in Dharma but Dharma didn't work with Web DL's which kept falling out of sync Sad

- XBMCRocksMyBoat - 2011-08-26

RXP91 Wrote:Is anyone else having issues with randomly dropped frames on the latest nightlies using DXVA? I'm on an Ion box, never had issues in Dharma but Dharma didn't work with Web DL's which kept falling out of sync Sad

I don't have random frame drops, but I do notice that XBMC won't maintain a framerate of 23.976 FPS. If I restart XBMC it does maintain 23.976, but after I have watched an episode of a serie (45 min.), and start the next, it doesn't. Then it will be something like 23.95 or 24.00 (not fluctuating, its steady).

I've also noticed this behaviour after the HTPC wakes up after a sleep.

A restart of XBMC always fixes it (for a while).

- RXP91 - 2011-08-26

I've noticed that too, it's rarely a constant fps. I've read that all DXVA has a 23.976 frame bug where it just goes up to 24fps. I did upgrade my drivers to the latest Ion ones so I'll try a roll back and see if that effects the varying frame rate and dropped frames.