Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] Metropolis skin - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Metropolis (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=162)
+---- Thread: [WIP] Metropolis skin (/showthread.php?tid=99317)

- voidy - 2011-09-02

been browsing for just a few mins but im in <3

- sialivi - 2011-09-02

@Amra
This thing is so damn polished already that you pretty much have to go into pure nitpicking to find anything to complain about, so I hope you're a perfectionist Wink

[Minor Navigation Oversight]
If you press 'Left' on the Home Screen, focus is given to.. well, I don't know what it's given to.

[Cropped Scroll Nub]
The graphics for the little scroll nub looks slightly cropped at the top and bottom.

[Minor Navigation Request]
When holding down left or right arrow to quickly scroll through items, in let's say Fanart view, it would be nice if the scrolling stopped when it reached the first or last entry.

[Nitpicking - Illogical Button Animation]
Buttons change size when you hover/select it, but so does the beveled edge which makes no logical sense. Did I mention a lot of this is pure nitpicking? Wink

[Fallback Image]
Would it be possible to use fanart.jpg as a fallback when landscape.jpg is unavailable?

["Use 'landscape.jpg' for TV Shows" Inconsistency]
The "Use 'landscape.jpg' for TV Shows" setting doesn't seem to effect the Fanart viewtype, which seem a bit inconsistant. (Love love love the Fanart Viewtype with the posters on the sides, brilliant stuff)

- Japaja - 2011-09-02

Not sure what to say except f****** great. Big Grin

- Amra - 2011-09-02

Whew! I guess I shouldn't have joked about it being so quiet in here. Big Grin I'll try to answer as many comments as I can here but before I do that I want to say thank you for all the compliments, they are appreciated. Especially when they come from other forum members who have done their own skins previously. You are all very kind. Thanks!

@Rygrath
Thanks for the help on the Eden changes. It is much appreciated and I'm taking notes. Smile

otcho Wrote:In Episode-Info, the banner of the TV-Show is shown on the left side. I'll guess there should be the Season-Poster.
That's probably an oversight on my part. It sounds like you have your library set up to scrape banners instead of posters. I'll work that into the VideoInfo xml for the next release. Just an FYI to anyone wanting to use this skin, It is not absolutely necessary but Metropolis definitely works the best when scraping Posters by default and then having banner.jpg, landscape.jpg and Logo.png in each TVShow's folder.

sialivi Wrote:@Amra
This thing is so damn polished already that you pretty much have to go into pure nitpicking to find anything to complain about, so I hope you're a perfectionist Wink
I usually am if I can find the time. Big Grin

sialivi Wrote:1 [Minor Navigation Oversight]
If you press 'Left' on the Home Screen, focus is given to.. well, I don't know what it's given to.

2 [Cropped Scroll Nub]
The graphics for the little scroll nub looks slightly cropped at the top and bottom.

3 [Minor Navigation Request]
When holding down left or right arrow to quickly scroll through items, in let's say Fanart view, it would be nice if the scrolling stopped when it reached the first or last entry.

4 [Nitpicking - Illogical Button Animation]
Buttons change size when you hover/select it, but so does the beveled edge which makes no logical sense. Did I mention a lot of this is pure nitpicking? Wink

5 [Fallback Image]
Would it be possible to use fanart.jpg as a fallback when landscape.jpg is unavailable?

6 ["Use 'landscape.jpg' for TV Shows" Inconsistency]
The "Use 'landscape.jpg' for TV Shows" setting doesn't seem to effect the Fanart viewtype, which seem a bit inconsistant. (Love love love the Fanart Viewtype with the posters on the sides, brilliant stuff)
First off, thank you for the helpful observations. I renumbered them for easier response.

1. Do you have recently added or random items turned on? When either is on, pushing left should go to that. There is probably a way for me to change the xml so that that won't happen when they are not turned on. I will look into it & add that to my to-do list.

2. Yeah, I think all the scroll bars probably need some love. I don't use them so I accidentally overlooked the Horizontal one before posting the Alpha. Added to the to-do list.

3. Is this just a case of using a Fixed versus Wraped list? I tend to like wrapped lists but I am not adverse to using a Fixed list. Just gotta make a decision, I guess.

4. I was trying to go for an animation that would look like you were pressing an actual button, didn't take into consideration the beveled edges of the icon. I'm still learning what animations work best where so I'll have to play around with some different ones to see what looks best. It won't necessarily be changed but "I'll add it to the to-do list". Big Grin

5. Don't know but that is a good idea. Added to the to-do list.

6. That's an oversight on my part & I'll add it to the list. I'm glad you like the Fanart view. I personally can't decide if I like the segmented or full frame better. Most of the time, the segmented will look really cool but then there is always an occasional fanart where the break is in the middle of someone's face, for instance. Whattayagonnado?

- Amra - 2011-09-02

Japaja Wrote:Not sure what to say except f****** great. Big Grin
Thanks & I'm glad the censors kicked in there. Eek Laugh

- sialivi - 2011-09-02

Amra Wrote:1. Do you have recently added or random items turned on?

Ah, I have neither turned on.

Amra Wrote:4. I was trying to go for an animation that would look like you were pressing an actual button, didn't take into consideration the beveled edges of the icon. I'm still learning what animations work best where so I'll have to play around with some different ones to see what looks best. It won't necessarily be changed but "I'll add it to the to-do list". Big Grin

Could probably be done by having the beveled edge as a separate image, behind the button. It's obviously really low-priority stuff, but now that you know it's there, you will probably always see it Wink

Amra Wrote:6. That's an oversight on my part & I'll add it to the list. I'm glad you like the Fanart view. I personally can't decide if I like the segmented or full frame better. Most of the time, the segmented will look really cool but then there is always an occasional fanart where the break is in the middle of someone's face, for instance. Whattayagonnado?

It's a very unique look and looks good with ideal images. Landscape images with text on them, like the ones I use for tv-shows, are not ideal though. Missing letters can cause undesired results Wink

- Amra - 2011-09-02

sialivi Wrote:It's a very unique look and looks good with ideal images. Landscape images with text on them, like the ones I use for tv-shows, are not ideal though. Missing letters can cause undesired results Wink
Yeah, right now the Segmented frame is the default with an option to use a full frame instead. I may end up reversing that in a future release.

- cainecollin - 2011-09-02

Just got it on, Loving it so far. Big Grin Keep up the great work.

Only one request (well 2 for the same area)
Would it be possible to have "Music Videos" as an optional link much like movies/tv shows

and any plans for Views for music videos?

- Amra - 2011-09-02

cainecollin Wrote:Just got it on, Loving it so far. Big Grin Keep up the great work.

Only one request (well 2 for the same area)
Would it be possible to have "Music Videos" as an optional link much like movies/tv shows

and any plans for Views for music videos?
Eventually I hope to have customizable home menu items but I can always look into adding an item specifically for "Music Videos". I've also seen other skins with an "HD Movies" menu item & I would like to add that if possible too.

When I do the Music section I will be working the music into as many existing views as possible and would like to do the same for Music Videos. I have a few dozen that I have never added to my HTPC yet so maybe that will give me a little push to do so. Wink

- voidy - 2011-09-02

hey Amra

what an amazing skin already Big Grin i do however see 1 major issue (and thats my problem Big Grin) is that i <3 all of the different views i cant decide to pick landscape or logo or banner/poster etc etc Big Grin all of them look amazing

i was wondering and i have no knowledge of code or what so ever and prio no1 should be bugs etc etc Tongue

but a random view is that something thats doable ? and maybe a couple of favorites that cycles around everytime u open tv-shows for example

- sialivi - 2011-09-02

@Amra

Immediately thought of Metropolis when I saw these. Just some inspiration for what the trailer image could look like...

...and then if you could find a way to create a movie pause screen that looks something like this...

Wink

- sialivi - 2011-09-02

@Amra

[TV - Low List]
When browsing "All Seasons" in Low List view, the poster on the left side shows the season 1 cover for all episodes.

[TV - Landscape]
Landscape view with landscape.jpg enabled doesn't have a fallback image. (Would be nice to use fanart.jpg as fallback if possible)

[Movies - Fanart View]
The posters for my Movie Sets doesn't show up and there's no fallback image either. They do show up in the Files viewtype though.

[Leather Theme]
This probably varies from person to person, but I noticed a slight eye-strain from reading text on top of the dotted pattern in the lower part of the screen.

- Mikesch - 2011-09-02

Really great work, i love it! Laugh The home menu is just soooo beautiful when you choose the icon theme.

Two small things though, as I'm using this with german speech settings:

1.) "Movie set" shouldn't be translated to "Film einstellen" as that means to change the settings of a movie. Laugh The correct translation would be "Film-Reihe", but I guess you could just use movie set, too.

2.) The font used when playing movies which shows the state of the movie (i.e. paused, playing, forward, rewind...) in the top right corner doesn't display umlaute (ä,ö,ü) but instead an ugly box. I guess you could just change the letters to ae, oe, ue.

Both things are of course only minor problems and of no urgence. But I hope you'll note those down to fix them somewhere in the future, as it would bring your awesome work a little bit more near perfection. Wink

- Japaja - 2011-09-02

Amra Wrote:Thanks & I'm glad the censors kicked in there. Eek Laugh
Haha. No actually that was me. Didn't test if there's an automatic censor feature (yet!). Laugh

- Amra - 2011-09-02

voidy Wrote:hey Amra

what an amazing skin already i do however see 1 major issue (and thats my problem) is that i <3 all of the different views i cant decide to pick landscape or logo or banner/poster etc etc all of them look amazing

i was wondering and i have no knowledge of code or what so ever and prio no1 should be bugs etc etc Tongue

but a random view is that something thats doable ? and maybe a couple of favorites that cycles around everytime u open tv-shows for example
Sorry to give you TOO many views to choose from. Laugh I've never seen another skin do a random view but I would have to guess that it would involve some python programming. Not really something I want to try. Eek

sialivi Wrote:[TV - Low List]
When browsing "All Seasons" in Low List view, the poster on the left side shows the season 1 cover for all episodes.
By design, it should show the main TV Show poster when the view is flattened. I'm not sure if it is an XBMC bug or not but when viewing episodes in Low List normally (not flattened) it will show the current season thumb on the left just fine. When I flatten a show then the season thumb does not show, there is just an empty space. So in order to have an image there when a show is flattened I added the TVShow's poster. At least that's how it works on my computer.

RE: The trailer image, I'll look at that and see what else I can find. Still not sure if I am changing it though. Wink

mikesch Wrote:Really great work, i love it! Laugh The home menu is just soooo beautiful when you choose the icon theme.
Thanks and for the record, I still want to do a little more with that home style such as adding the optional recently added or random items. just didn't get to it yet.

mikesch Wrote:Two small things though, as I'm using this with german speech settings:

1.) "Movie set" shouldn't be translated to "Film einstellen" as that means to change the settings of a movie. Laugh The correct translation would be "Film-Reihe", but I guess you could just use movie set, too.

2.) The font used when playing movies which shows the state of the movie (i.e. paused, playing, forward, rewind...) in the top right corner doesn't display umlaute (ä,ö,ü) but instead an ugly box. I guess you could just change the letters to ae, oe, ue.

Both things are of course only minor problems and of no urgence. But I hope you'll note those down to fix them somewhere in the future, as it would bring your awesome work a little bit more near perfection. Wink
1. Sorry. I only speak English (live in USA) so I just combined a couple strings I had found ("movie" + "set"). I will take note of this though for the next release. Thanks.

2. I will probably need to change the font to the primary one used for the plot, dialogs, etc. If you want to test it now, it is a simple change in the font.xml file.

Just change:
Code:
<font>
            <name>METF_OSDPlayerStatus</name>
            <filename>[b]MET_Bebas.ttf[/b]</filename>
            <size>48</size>
        </font>
to:
Code:
<font>
            <name>METF_OSDPlayerStatus</name>
            <filename>[b]MET_UbuntuRegular.ttf[/b]</filename>
            <size>48</size>
        </font>
You may need to change the size number also if it is too big or too small. Also if that works and you want a bolder font, then use "MET_UbuntuBold.ttf" instead of "MET_UbuntuRegular.ttf" in the above code.