• 24(current)
XBMC Constellation For iPad/iPhone by FSS.cc (unofficial remote)
leafnode Wrote:Few words for FSS, developer of Constellation.

As we all noticed, almost every version that fixes one thing, breaks some other. We, the users, are your beta testers - what is fine as long as it's voluntary, it's useful, and it's possible to revert to some useful version.

From above:
1. There's no "stable" version
2. There's no possibility to provide any useful input (app crashes without any notification)
3. Release process it slowed down by Apple, without possibility to go back to previous version.

Right now I have a useless application, crashing right after start, and no way to go back to previous version. I have to wait till no one knows, when Apple accepts your release, and it appears in Polish Appstore.

Apple allows up to 100 devices to be bound as development devices, skipping appstore, by what you could have a normal beta program, with people signing up voluntarily. Maybe you should consider that way?

I do not understand, because here the program functions normally
Works for me too, minus the odd crash and small issue it's excellent thus far!
Archigos Wrote:I tried for about an hour or so to see if I could give more details, couldn't reproduce it either.
Heh, sorry about that. Didn't I say it's an elusive bug? Smile I could reproduce it a couple of times yesterday, but as soon as I took my phone and tried to get the issue on video, well, you can guess what happened (or didn't happen). Will try again later!
Friends,
I only have one word for this program: incredible
leafnode Wrote:Few words for FSS, developer of Constellation.

As we all noticed, almost every version that fixes one thing, breaks some other. We, the users, are your beta testers - what is fine as long as it's voluntary, it's useful, and it's possible to revert to some useful version.

From above:
1. There's no "stable" version
2. There's no possibility to provide any useful input (app crashes without any notification)
3. Release process it slowed down by Apple, without possibility to go back to previous version.

Right now I have a useless application, crashing right after start, and no way to go back to previous version. I have to wait till no one knows, when Apple accepts your release, and it appears in Polish Appstore.

Apple allows up to 100 devices to be bound as development devices, skipping appstore, by what you could have a normal beta program, with people signing up voluntarily. Maybe you should consider that way?

While it's true that every app is at the mercy of Apple's release policies. FSS does have beta testers (I'm one of them) and with the current version (from the AppStore) I get the occasional drop back to the springboard, but I would still consider this version stable as I've used other apps (beta testing or official) that crash SO much more and are practically useless. Sadly Apple has been giving certain developers 'problems' while trying to set up beta users recently.

If you think there was a specific version that worked better for you, you could try to PM Dawid or one of the others and nicely ask if they still have that versions *.ipa laying around to send you. But my suggestion would be to try a few things to get the current version to work.

If you're Jailbroken: (most of this isn't 'needed' but can't hurt either)
Uninstall whatever copy of "AppSync" you have installed (temporarily) and uninstall Constellation. Reboot the iDevice and once back to the Springboard, resync Constellation back over (don't open it yet) and reboot again. Back on the Springboard, open Constellation and under the settings click "Remove Database", confirm, then "Flush images cache", confirm, (this makes sure that it doesn't somehow pick up 'old' files from previous installs). Now under the Connection settings, configure like normal and after clicking "Test" at the bottom, hit back, select the host you just set up and don't touch anything for at least a minute or two. At this point the app may take awhile and drop back to the Springboard. If it does, reopen it and don't touch anything for a few minutes. (Repeat each time it drops back to Springboard) After it's been a good 5 minutes of running without being touched, tap the Movies/TV Shows tab to see that it starts filling that in... (slowly) scroll down through those as it updates with pictures until you reach the bottom, then do the same for the opposite (followed by Music if you use it). Once it appears everything is in there and the images work, force close Constellation (make sure it's not running in the AppTray) and you can proceed to reinstall AppSync. At this point, you should have a fine (and stable) version running.

If you're NOT Jailbroken:
Follow the above, just ignore the AppSync parts.

You also mention "I have to wait till no one knows, when Apple accepts your release" if FSS did expand the amount of beta testers between versions, you'd have an even longer wait before the 'good' ones hit the AppStore.
HTPC 1: 64-bit Quad Core 3.4GHz Athlon X4 / 16GB DDR3 / (8) 2TB / 42" Vizio / Windows 8.1 (x64) / IIS 8.5
HTPC 2: 64-bit Quad Core 2.0GHz / 8GB DDR3 / 1TB / Windows 8.1 (x64) / IIS 8.5
My Personal Blog - NewsDemon | Text size doesn't seem to be working anymore for signatures?
I like this app a lot, I see it as having great potential. Even though it isn't quite as polished as I would like, I've bought the pro version to encourage you guys to progress.
I also use XBMC Commander as it is stable enough for the missus and kids to use, and it has movie set support without resorting to nightlies. I tried a nightly XBMC and it broke a few things for me, sadly.

So keep up the good work guys, I'm sure I'm not your only fan.
Nacmacfeegle Wrote:I like this app a lot, I see it as having great potential. Even though it isn't quite as polished as I would like, I've bought the pro version to encourage you guys to progress.
I also use XBMC Commander as it is stable enough for the missus and kids to use, and it has movie set support without resorting to nightlies. I tried a nightly XBMC and it broke a few things for me, sadly.

So keep up the good work guys, I'm sure I'm not your only fan.

Ironically, Nightly builds break the touch part of the XBMC Commander interface (part of the reason I made the full switch to Constellation instead of jumping back and forth).

Certain versions of Nightly builds have given more than a few users issues, but that's why they warn users that those are Beta (almost Alpha). There's nothing wrong with using 10.1 still, but if you feel adventurous, give a new(er) Nightly build a try, they're always adding/fixing things. I had a few builds practically screw my system (hardcore lockup) but just wait a few days, grab a later build and normally you're good to go. (If I remember correct, I'm currently using the Aug. 23rd version with no real issues)
HTPC 1: 64-bit Quad Core 3.4GHz Athlon X4 / 16GB DDR3 / (8) 2TB / 42" Vizio / Windows 8.1 (x64) / IIS 8.5
My Personal Blog - NewsDemon | Text size doesn't seem to be working anymore for signatures?
"Ironically, Nightly builds break the touch part of the XBMC Commander interface (part of the reason I made the full switch to Constellation instead of jumping back and forth)"

I didn't realise that, thanks for the pointer.

"I had a few builds practically screw my system (hardcore lockup) but just wait a few days, grab a later build and normally you're good to go. (If I remember correct, I'm currently using the Aug. 23rd version with no real issues)"

Again thanks for the pointer, I did try a build from around 18th or so, but it caused me some pain. I'm relatively new to XBMC so potentially something I did screwed up a few things.

I'll have another play with all this over the weekend, thanks again for all the great works on this. Constellation really is a nice interface and has some distinct advantages (for my usage anyways) over Commander, which is also very good.
Nacmacfeegle Wrote:Again thanks for the pointer, I did try a build from around 18th or so, but it caused me some pain. I'm relatively new to XBMC so potentially something I did screwed up a few things.

Don't remember which days exactly, but the beginning of the month (Aug. 2-5 range) and middle of the month (Aug. 12-17 range) gave me more than a few headaches.
I have noticed this murders the battery, my iPad used to last days, now it last 1 day with this app running...

Any idea on a fix for the media flags?
Archigos Wrote:While it's true that every app is at the mercy of Apple's release policies. FSS does have beta testers (I'm one of them) and with the current version (from the AppStore) I get the occasional drop back to the springboard, but I would still consider this version stable as I've used other apps (beta testing or official) that crash SO much more and are practically useless. Sadly Apple has been giving certain developers 'problems' while trying to set up beta users recently.

Maybe I'm overreacting, because it's the first time I use (and really like!) software for which each build introduces new (quite annoying) bugs, and for some (like me) it renders the application useless Wink I'm just trying to be helpful and find some new ways of proceeding, so in the future there won't be situations like I have.

Archigos Wrote:But my suggestion would be to try a few things to get the current version to work.
(...)

Thanks, I'll try that. My devices are not jailbroken, BTW.

Archigos Wrote:You also mention "I have to wait till no one knows, when Apple accepts your release" if FSS did expand the amount of beta testers between versions, you'd have an even longer wait before the 'good' ones hit the AppStore.

Oh, I didn't know that. Too bad :/

Thanks for your input.
@leafnode
I don't see it as over reacting, in fact you've got a valid point. The problem is that in the computer world, there's bound to be bugs in almost anything. But the main thing, is that 'yes, we're at the mercy of Apple' and the supposed 'release schedule' averages 2 weeks from the time an app is submitted to the time it shows on the AppStore.

This leaves most developers two options: Release on completion and hope there aren't any outright critical bugs (which Apple can pull versions on request for that... although they're sometimes dicks about it) or a more rigorous beta schedule.

Even in a good week, there would be extra time added when the testers and developers have to attempt reproduction of bugs etc. which adds to the researching and removal of those bugs, yadda yadda... so your 2 week wait gets extended. Sad

(I just realized I probably shouldn't post while on my medications... the above is NOT supposed to sound 'dick-ish' in any way and hope it's easy to understand. I'm going to attempt some programming for another project and probably wonder how three hours of works breaks on a missing ; that I can't find. Laugh )
Hi,
I have two more suggestions (music related)
1. Compilation albums (or albums of one artist where he cooperates with others on some songs) are not handled correctly. The way iTunes does this works fine for me.
2. Albums with more than 1 cd are displayed incorrectly; songs are sorted by track number, this results in: track 1 of disk 1, track 1 of disk 2, track 2 of disk 1, track 2 of disc 2, etc.
Friends, again I ask no provision for invoking the functionality of xbmc? xbmc that is open via a button?
iorifly Wrote:Friends, again I ask no provision for invoking the functionality of xbmc? xbmc that is open via a button?

Since I can't edit his post, just wanted to note to others that this was talked about off forum.

To clarify for others, he was asking about a button in Constellation that will open XBMC on the host machine if it wasn't already running. As far as I know this feature is not planned for the immediate future, but should not be ruled out as something possible later on. If this is not the case, I'm sure Dawid will comment about it on next visit to the forum and I will edit this message.

Reminder, I'm not affiliated with FSS or Constellation other than a beta tester and supporter.
  • 24(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Constellation For iPad/iPhone by FSS.cc (unofficial remote)5