• 74(current)
XBMC Constellation For iPad/iPhone by FSS.cc (unofficial remote)
Quote:3.) The iPhone version is getting it's GUI overhauled in an upcoming version. If you read post 478 it explains what you're overlooking.
4.) If you can either post here or PM me a list of your question on what you think should happen, etc. I can try to explain the stuff... and it'll probably give a better idea of areas to focus on when Burb and I continue to expand the Wiki article(s) about it.

Wiki Page = Here

Some thoughts regarding UI improvement, as well as some other general issues I've found:

1. Instead of making the movie interaction area a pulldown, consider adding a button to the home screen that provides this functionality, or integrate that button fully into each of the browse screens (movie, music, tv).
2. Remove any of the buttons in the default browse screen that do nothing (e.g. the movie strip, the ff, etc).
3. Consider adding an option to "kill" the app on the iPhone. I have run into numerous situations where the application tends to hang (particularly after coming out of "sleep" mode - 20-30 seconds to reconnect to xbmc), whereas if the app crashes and I restart, the connection takes no more than 5 seconds. I would like to be able to stop the app and re-start in these types of situations.
4. How does/should the gesture zone work? People shouldn't have to browse through 100+ pages of posts to discern this. There should be a built-in help screen, or at least a default like to a YouTube video demonstrating the functionality, embedded in the app.

Some issues I've found:

1. After coming out of "sleep" on my iPhone, as stated before, the application generally takes 20-30 secs to reconnect fully to XBMC. In some cases it takes over a minute.
2. Again, after coming out of sleep, when in the movie-specific pulldown, even after reconnecting to XBMC, none of the controls work. I have only tried this twice, but it has happened consistently both times.
3. Wake-on-lan does not appear to be working for me. I've configured it on XBMC per the guide, but after suspending from the app (which does work), wake-on-lan does not. Note I have not tested this from any other applications.

Overall, the application is definitely very promising, but from a UI and dependability perspective, it still needs a bit of work.

Thanks for listening to my feedback!
Ansyhrrian Wrote:Some thoughts regarding UI improvement, as well as some other general issues I've found:

1. Instead of making the movie interaction area a pulldown That area is general function and not tied just to movies, it's how you control music, tv, etc. as well., consider adding a button to the home screen that provides this functionality, or integrate that button fully into each of the browse screens (movie, music, tv). Truthfully, is there enough screen space on the iPhone to have that included in every screen?
2. Remove any of the buttons in the default browse screen that do nothing (e.g. the movie strip That's a "Trailers" button, the ff That's actual a "Resume" button, etc).
3. Consider adding an option to "kill" the app on the iPhone. I have run into numerous situations where the application tends to hang (particularly after coming out of "sleep" mode - 20-30 seconds to reconnect to xbmc), whereas if the app crashes and I restart, the connection takes no more than 5 seconds. I would like to be able to stop the app and re-start in these types of situations. That's built into iOS... Double Tap the Home button to bring up the AppSwitch bar at the bottom of the screen, press and hold the App icon and the little X will appear like you would normally delete an app and when done from that bar just kills the app instead.
4. How does/should the gesture zone work? People shouldn't have to browse through 100+ pages of posts to discern this. There should be a built-in help screen, or at least a default like to a YouTube video demonstrating the functionality, embedded in the app. When you pull down the Remote Controls all the way to display the Gesture Zone, you use that for normal (menu) navigation in XBMC, ex: swipe left, right, up, or down to move that direction in your menu

Some issues I've found:

1. After coming out of "sleep" on my iPhone, as stated before, the application generally takes 20-30 secs to reconnect fully to XBMC. In some cases it takes over a minute. That's because you have to re-establish both HTTP and JSON connections to regain control of XBMC, not Constellations fault, iOS doesn't hold those in memory
2. Again, after coming out of sleep, when in the movie-specific pulldown, even after reconnecting to XBMC, none of the controls work. I have only tried this twice, but it has happened consistently both times. No idea why that is happening to you, first I've heard of that specific issue
3. Wake-on-lan does not appear to be working for me. I've configured it on XBMC per the guide, but after suspending from the app (which does work), wake-on-lan does not. Note I have not tested this from any other applications. Did you make sure to include the XBMC Host System's MAC address and are you sure you have WOL configured properly on that system?

Overall, the application is definitely very promising, but from a UI and dependability perspective, it still needs a bit of work.

Thanks for listening to my feedback!

My comments are above in Bold.
HTPC 1: 64-bit Quad Core 3.4GHz Athlon X4 / 16GB DDR3 / (8) 2TB / 42" Vizio / Windows 8.1 (x64) / IIS 8.5
HTPC 2: 64-bit Quad Core 2.0GHz / 8GB DDR3 / 1TB / Windows 8.1 (x64) / IIS 8.5
My Personal Blog - NewsDemon | Text size doesn't seem to be working anymore for signatures?
@ Ansyhrrian

Point 3, WOL works flawlessly as far as constellation is concerned, I know from first hand experience that the magic packet is sent out every time the button is pressed, seen by wireshark.

On top of Arcigos' comments depending on your OS... I'm going to assume windows just for now, you need to open device man, and browse to properties for your network card, then under the settings tab you should find WOL if supported, you need to enable it and select magic packet from the drop down menu... Also WOL needs to be enabled in to bios, again if supported (sorry if you know/have done this already!)

Also standby/WOL is very flaky at the best of times under XP, I use it with vista, that works every time, next on my list is Linux.

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but both myself and Archigos are working on a wiki page when we have time to try to answer most of the questions you have been asking, as this is a spare time project for us and we are not part of FSS progress is slow, please PM me if there is anything you would like to see or have anything to add to it.
The specific forum for Constellation can be found Here.

If anyone is looking for a usenet account try here, great unlimited service!
Angrydog Wrote:My issue is adding a standard key. For instance, I wanted to add a button to bring up the debug screen (O) or the context menu © but when I add those nothing happens when I press them. Seems like all keyboard function isn't working. More than likely I am not doing something right so if anyone can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

I have the same problem. I can see XBMC drops out of screensaver mode but the commands are not executed. I'm curious if everyone has this problem, or perhaps some keyboard xml file must be set up for XBMC?

I run:
XBMC PVR Windows Binaries - Eden-pvr Beta1 - build 59 - git rev. 007a341
Constellation for iPad 1.9.1
Eriol Wrote:I have the same problem. I can see XBMC drops out of screensaver mode but the commands are not executed. I'm curious if everyone has this problem, or perhaps some keyboard xml file must be set up for XBMC?

I run:
XBMC PVR Windows Binaries - Eden-pvr Beta1 - build 59 - git rev. 007a341
Constellation for iPad 1.9.1

those are vKey commands(text box only) if you i.e. hold down the shift key on iDevice and pres O you will get the debug while playing a movie....
Would you like to join our beta testing team ? PM me :)
XBMC Constellation on Facebook
Thanks, all, for the feedback. I think the upshot is that the iPhone app definitely needs work. As it relates to the specific issue that has been heretofore unreported, I'll do additional investigation and provide detail around reproducibility later on.

Also, I'm running XBMCLive on Ubuntu.
More feedback for the best app on my iPad : )

Is there a way so when I open constellation it open xbmc?
I would also like to be able to browse movie by genre and other sorts of things.
Maybe in the future there can be skins of some sort or a way to browse by fanart ect,
Also a skip ahead 5min thing like when you press up when in xbmc.

Great app guys
nicknacc Wrote:More feedback for the best app on my iPad : )

Is there a way so when I open constellation it open xbmc?
I would also like to be able to browse movie by genre and other sorts of things.
Maybe in the future there can be skins of some sort or a way to browse by fanart ect,
Also a skip ahead 5min thing like when you press up when in xbmc.

Great app guys

It might not be an easy issue to solve, opening of xbmc on app start as the start command would be OS specific, I guess.

You can browse movies by genre by using the filter button in the top right of The movies screen, there you can set to browse by name genre resolution etc,

What about the slider on the remote page, there you can skip forward or back to any point in the movie, and not just specific time intervals... Also you should be able to add a custom command for skip functions if you want to, not done this myself though.

any plans on an Android release :/ ??

thanks!!
eskro Wrote:any plans on an Android release :/ ??

thanks!!

This has been asked and commented on a few times already in this thread... A simple search would have shown that they made a comment about early-mid 2012... (I think the actual comment was about Quarter 2 of the year)... I'd actually search for you, but I'm getting ready to leave for a couple days for medical testing/treatments and probably wont be around much.
HTPC 1: 64-bit Quad Core 3.4GHz Athlon X4 / 16GB DDR3 / (8) 2TB / 42" Vizio / Windows 8.1 (x64) / IIS 8.5
HTPC 2: 64-bit Quad Core 2.0GHz / 8GB DDR3 / 1TB / Windows 8.1 (x64) / IIS 8.5
My Personal Blog - NewsDemon | Text size doesn't seem to be working anymore for signatures?
Is it possiblke to add custom commands in the iPhone version. If yes where is it located?
eskro Wrote:any plans on an Android release :/ ??

thanks!!

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=971791

I cannot get this app to work on my Windows 7 Desktop running XBMC 11. I have the settings configured as per the video instructions and I'm setup to use Library mode in XBMC.

The app is able to autodiscover my PC with no problem, and the popup appears in XBMC, however none of my videos show up in the app. I haven't had a chance to test play/pause yet or other functions as I spent the majority trying to get this portion to work. I am having the same issue with my ATV2, however the odd thing is that I was able to view my Movie Library, however after a restart I'm no longer able to.

Is there any sort of log or debug information I can provide for you? I am going to mess around with it more when I get home, and I'll also test it out with the iPad version. The app looks great, I'm definitely going to buy once I get it working.

Error I'm getting is:

Code:
00:57:36 T:118853632  NOTICE: ES: Incoming connection from XBMC Constellation
00:58:37 T:118853632  NOTICE: ES: Client XBMC Constellation from 10.0.0.41 timed out
01:09:05 T:118853632  NOTICE: ES: Incoming connection from XBMC Constellation
01:09:06 T:113709056   ERROR: WebServer: Failed to open (null)icon.png
01:10:06 T:118853632  NOTICE: ES: Client XBMC Constellation from 10.0.0.41 timed out
01:10:52 T:118853632  NOTICE: ES: Incoming connection from XBMC Constellation
01:10:53 T:113709056   ERROR: WebServer: Failed to open (null)icon.png
01:12:53 T:118853632  NOTICE: ES: Client XBMC Constellation from 10.0.0.41 timed out
Have you Opened the ports in your windows firewall for in and out access for xbmc? And/or port settings in your router?

As for atv, constellation refreshes on connection and because of atv's limited resources it takes time, try leaving it to refresh, it can take up to a minute.

Burbulence Wrote:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=971791

thats great!! thx alot guys
  • 74(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Constellation For iPad/iPhone by FSS.cc (unofficial remote)5