• 23(current)
Solved 10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support?
ashlar Wrote:This is the feature suggestions board, not the development one. Code welcome is worth zero here, in my opinion.

The guy is raising a valid point. Let's say that iOS for whatever reason gets stuck with obsolete ffmpeg (or whatever else) for a couple of years. Would it be fairer to make all other platforms obsolete to wait for iOS to catch up?

Bear in mind that I am an iPad and iPhone user. While I respect the choice of heavily supporting multiplatform development, I have some doubts that leaving a significant majority with outdated codecs would be the best road to follow.
Valid point or not, the sense of entitlement is still there.
Quote:If development is going to wait for things to play nice with apple before moving forward we might as well give up on all media player aspects of this project. Unfortunately last I checked the point of this project was to be a media player.

Last I checked, XBMC is a media player, and a damn fine one at that. Please, show me a better, more feature-packed, extensible, cross-platform media front-end that's both free, and, for the most part, pretty user friendly. I'll be waiting.

As much as people want to bitch and moan and whine about their pet/niche feature being included, they want to do very little to actualize it, except complain. And yes, 10b h264 support is still niche. Show me where, other than anime rips, it's used extensively. It may be where things are moving, but it's not where they are currently, therefore it's not really needed in a mainstream release. And the current version of ffmpeg included is hardly obsolete.

Oh, and just because it's a feature request doesn't mean that code can't be contributed for it, so no, it's not pointless. Since the feature would require change/addition to source, it's more than welcome.
pumkinut Wrote:Oh, and just because it's a feature request doesn't mean that code can't be contributed for it, so no, it's not pointless. Since the feature would require change/addition to source, it's more than welcome.
It's pointless as a rebuttal in an argument about the legitimacy of a request. And I think you know it, honestly. It's the catch-all answer to win an argument on what XBMC should/should not do.

I'd also be curious to see how niche is 10bit compared to iOS XBMC (jailbreak only).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Memphiz Wrote:Nice egoistic point. Which plattform do you use? Now imagine it wouldn't build on your plattform but on all others. Then we just would bump version for all others but not for your plattform and then just ignore it - just for keeping all other users happy. I bet you would hate this aswell right?

Who am i talking to ...Stare

Which platform works on the highest % of systems again?

Also if it was bumped for all other platforms and mine was also the platform with the lowest amount of support I would ditch my platform because it sucks.

A platform that holds nothing is not a platform it is wasted space.
ZERO <ibis>' Wrote:Which platform works on the highest % of systems again?

Also if it was bumped for all other platforms and mine was also the platform with the lowest amount of support I would ditch my platform because it sucks.

A platform that holds nothing is not a platform it is wasted space.

Could be a platform that is currently the mold for future ARM work, including countless new platforms. But I guess people don't want sub $100 1080P XBMC systems...
ashlar Wrote:It's pointless as a rebuttal in an argument about the legitimacy of a request. And I think you know it, honestly. It's the catch-all answer to win an argument on what XBMC should/should not do.

I'd also be curious to see how niche is 10bit compared to iOS XBMC (jailbreak only).

10bit won't work on any current iOS device. Not enough CPU power, and no consumer hardware decoders exists for Hi10P. The ffmpeg bump gives far more than just 10bit support, though.

EDIT: misread your comment. Most likely there will be more iOS XBMC users than Hi10P users, by a wide margin. I say this being a total anime nerd myself. Anime itself is a small percentage of HTPC/online video users.
davilla Wrote:Perhaps you should pay attention to someone who does Smile Python is not a problem because we will be targeting 10.6SDK, NOT 10.7SDK. Now if that does not mean something, then you should not be playing in this sandbox.

I was - that's why I went back, checked the exact situation, and clarified what I'd posted (so I wasn't posting misinformation that "Python wouldn't compile").

However, my original question was whether or not there could be a related issue for XBMC, and it sounds like the answer (at least for the time being) is "No". Python was being used as an example of something that had issues on a related platform.
ashlar Wrote:I also have to say that some decisions with regard to the development roadmap could use better communication. I still fail to understand, for instance, why the patch that has been developed (so it's not a matter of "code welcome") for fixing the audio delay won't be in Eden, considering the need for it is most certainly a bug.

Mainline code (aka Eden) is in Code freeze, GUI freeze, GUI strings freeze... Notice the common theme? We will never get out Eden if we keep making exceptions for this and that. A line HAS to be drawn somewhere.
davilla Wrote:Mainline code (aka Eden) is in Code freeze, GUI freeze, GUI strings freeze... Notice the common theme? We will never get out Eden if we keep making exceptions for this and that. A line HAS to be drawn somewhere.
davilla, I *know*, I swear. But still that's a bug fix. Isn't beta for fixing bugs? You have a mean to correct a bug that's been haunting XBMC for years... why not fixing it? It's a workaround, ok. But for the time being, I'm sure it would be good enough for a lot of people.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
ashlar Wrote:davilla, I *know*, I swear. But still that's a bug fix. Isn't beta for fixing bugs? You have a mean to correct a bug that's been haunting XBMC for years... why not fixing it? It's a workaround, ok. But for the time being, I'm sure it would be good enough for a lot of people.

10-Bit is a FEATURE, not a BUG.

FEATURE FREEZE = 10-Bit no can Do.
isamu.dragon Wrote:10-Bit is a FEATURE, not a BUG.

I think he was referring to an audio delay bug; something completely unrelated to 10-bit.
jwcalla Wrote:I think he was referring to an audio delay bug; something completely unrelated to 10-bit.
Yes. And I know it's off-topic, it's just that it was somehow roadmap related.
isamu.dragon Wrote:10-Bit is a FEATURE, not a BUG.

He's talking about the audio lag bug, not 10-bit.

EDIT: Aaaand I'm slow. Big Grin
Any chance of a new build of the windows XBMC with hi10 support that was made earlier in this thread or a repost of the latest version of it? On the wiki http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Hi10P_playback it states the link is dead to the latest version. I am hoping an update from the original version my fix a few of my hi10 playback issues Smile
The link appears to work seer tenedos, despite the fact that it states link dead next to it.

My concern would be does this actually resolve the quality of 10-bit or does it simply allow it to play. As is the current official release plays 10-bit files that I would otherwise receive a green screen when attempting to play through VLC (Plays fine though MPC, of course).

I'm not looking for a partial fix, where the file will play but at a decrease in quality. I'm looking for a way to play a 10-bit file that plays at the same quality as it would through MPC. Is that achieved through the version of XBMC in the first post of this thread?
I think mine is the second version though quite old and yes generally it seems to play the same as an external player apart from 2 things.

1. It only seems to use 1 core of my cpu.
2. 1080P and a few files lag and get jump because of it. This is caused by point 1 i think as the external players work but use more than 1 core to play the file.

I remember in a past that my version was meant to have multi core support but then posts said it did not work and later on there was a release to fix that but at the time my videos were not high enough quality for it to show as an issue.

I will give the link a go and see if that version fixes the multi core issue. Running it on an old first edition quad core so the per core speed is a little low for some HI10 but with the multi core it is fine.

----- EDIT -----
Just tested and the new version seem to fix my issue from my quick tests or at least it is efficient enough for it to no longer jump in the tests i did.
  • 23(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support?7