• 33(current)
Solved 10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support?
As of OpenELEC beta 4, 10-bit support is in. Stephen pulled in the version of FFMPEG that Frodo uses to fix another bug, and as a "bonus" 10-bit support got added.

Announcement: http://openelec.tv/component/k2/item/244...4-released
Downloads: http://openelec.tv/get-openelec

People are reporting some issues with beta 4 on ION (not related to 10-bit, but quite possibly to the ffmpeg change). Nonetheless, it's likely now that there will be a supported version of OpenELEC with 10-bit video.
I seriously doubt that openelec users will be using high end systems, so it's pointless adding it anyway. It would be a complete waste of a high end system to use as a HTPC alone.

Just face it, us ION users will never be playing 10bit. So forget those hipster anime groups and wait until you can buy it on blu-ray. At least then we can play it. (I still can't fathom the reasons for using 10bit, not even blu-rays use it. They claim that 10bit files are smaller. they are not. They have claims about colour bleeding, but I doubt they even know what they are talking about. I declare BS on the whole thing, it's just hipster elitist crap again, they really don't want anime going main stream. They did this when they switched from divx to h264 about 3 years before everyone could play the format.)

Indecently: not sure if it was on here or some other place. This guy claimed he gave his sister an old athlon 1.2ghz system, and it played 10bit fine. I have an old system with a better spec that what he was describing and it can't even play standard 1080p video. Some folk are clueless.
HTPC: Motherboard: Asus F2A85-V, CPU: AMD A10 6800K, RAM: Kingston XMP BEAST 16GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, LG CH12NS30 Blu-Ray drive, Samsung, and WD various 2 and 3TB for storage, Windows 8.1, one for all remote/FLIRC, Logitech z906 surround system.
A lot of OpenELEC users are using the Generic release on reasonable (though often obsolete) hardware. For example, I run on an E2140 (early low-end dual-core Core2 system) with an nVidia G210. That system can play back 720p 10-bit anime just fine (though not 1080p). It's not the lowest-power machine around (using around 60W) but it's not bad, and I have it sleep when I'm not using it.

No matter what your feelings about 10-bit (and I'm on the record regarding my opinion that there's little benefit to it compared to a well-encoded 8-bit file) the facts are that the anime fansub groups are nearly universally releasing in it; they won't be changing back (though they will change to the Next Big Thing that gets playback support in Windows - probably HEVC/h265); and 10-bit playback support is of great benefit to those of us who watch fansubs and have sufficient hardware to play it back. For me personally it means that I don't need to transcode everything to 8-bit before watching it.
(2012-05-20, 01:06)Death-Axe Wrote: I seriously doubt that openelec users will be using high end systems, so it's pointless adding it anyway. It would be a complete waste of a high end system to use as a HTPC alone.

I've got an ion, an e350 fusion, an i3 and a quad core phenom w/gt220, all of which run openelec. They are all standalone htpcs, the two desktop-class machines are used simply because I already have them (and I feel the xbmc experience is much nicer on a beefy cpu, even if media plays 'just fine' on low powered machines). I suppose I could argue that if I'm running xbmc it's "a complete waste of time" having a desktop os/software running behind it, I could always dual boot.

If I was building a bespoke htpc for myself, I'd certainly be using a desktop cpu and running an embedded os with xbmc like openelec.

edit: I don't have any media that is 10bit

(2012-05-20, 01:06)Death-Axe Wrote: I seriously doubt that openelec users will be using high end systems, so it's pointless adding it anyway. It would be a complete waste of a high end system to use as a HTPC alone.

You call a Intel Core2 E8400 a low-end openelec machine?
Let users themselves decide what to do with a high power pc

Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I am not deciding for anyone, just saying that people that have paid out the money for a high end system will probably use it for more than just xbmc. That is unless they have money to throw around, which most people don't.
HTPC: Motherboard: Asus F2A85-V, CPU: AMD A10 6800K, RAM: Kingston XMP BEAST 16GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, LG CH12NS30 Blu-Ray drive, Samsung, and WD various 2 and 3TB for storage, Windows 8.1, one for all remote/FLIRC, Logitech z906 surround system.
is there a build built off eden v11? instead of frodo v12? my other boxes are all openlec eden v11, however I really want strong 10bit playback on my main windows machine.

(for mySql concerns)
No. To big a change with getting that in
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2012-04-28, 14:45)Shine Wrote: I've created a new build using an approach similar to maruchan's idea.

This new build is based on the current master (2012-04-29, rev. d2ac454556).

In addition, it contains the following changes:
This should be the best of both worlds:
  • software decoding incl. Hi10P playback with full (frame and slice) MT enabled
  • DXVA decoding working and limited to slice threading like in the current nightlies
The playback delay penalty introduced by pre-checking the files is between 0.1 and 0.3 seconds per file, ie. barely noticable.

The build is here: http://www.mediafire.com/?6cx2ndk11q7q4v8

Test&Enjoy.

I'm using the ZBOX AD03, the Hi10P playback still doesn't work well enough to watch, is there ever going to be a way to get fluid playback of these files on the Fusion E-350?
(2012-05-24, 19:56)lianthus Wrote: I'm using the ZBOX AD03, the Hi10P playback still doesn't work well enough to watch, is there ever going to be a way to get fluid playback of these files on the Fusion E-350?

I don't know much about AMD chips, but I believe that it's using AMD's equivalent to the Intel ATOM processor. Such processors don't have the raw power needed for Hi10P playback. Try it with a build/release of VLC or MPlayer that can do Hi10P and see if it works. Those players will have less overhead than XBMC and will give you a good idea if it is even possible to do playback itself.
again, this time with big letters and retard english: DESKTOP LEVEL HW OR NO WORKIE!
(2012-05-24, 20:20)spiff Wrote: again, this time with big letters and retard english: DESKTOP LEVEL HW OR NO WORKIE!

And this is exactly why my latest XBMC build is an AMD A6-3500, tricore at 2.1ghz. :X

Quote:And this is exactly why my latest XBMC build is an AMD A6-3500, tricore at 2.1ghz. :X

The same here, I built the A6-Pack in The Antec Case: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=128009

I use W7 and the nightlies release from 06-05-2012 (haven't tried any of the newer rleases)
(2012-05-25, 13:39)s1l3nc0r Wrote: The same here, I built the A6-Pack in The Antec Case: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=128009

I use W7 and the nightlies release from 06-05-2012 (haven't tried any of the newer rleases)

I'm still holding off on trying a nightly of v12. I look forward to 10bit support, but at the same time I'm thinking 'I don't wanna upgrade to an Alpha... I'll wait till at least a beta or an RC. Sad'
(2012-05-06, 23:59)elupus Wrote: For you guys that have subtitle performance issues, would be nice with some feedback on: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/942

You have some feeback here ! Wink
  • 33(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support?7