• 36(current)
Solved 10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support?
(2012-07-04, 09:48)jpsdr Wrote: Some fansub teams are doing only 10bit for HD release (720p & +), while others are doing both. If you're targeting a specific team because you know they used to have a good quality (spelling and translation), if this team do only 10bits...

Then you grab their sub file and slap it in a good quality "8-bit" release. You can have your cake and eat it too.
Well, i've personnaly no issue with 10bits, because i've build my PC to be not noisy and largely enough for it (i7@870), but what you suggest may require "skills" and time that not everyone may have or are willing to :
- Extract SSA from mkv. Fortunaly, hard subtitles are almost inexistant.
- Problably re-adjust timing with Aegisub because it will be luck if the new file has the exact same timing.
- Re-mux the mkv with re-timed SSA, new video and old mkv (don't forget to take back the fonts !).
So, it may be not so easy, but if you're lucky and not need timing adjustement, it's indeed simple.
However none of this should detract from the fact that it would be best for XBMC to support 10bit h.264 with multithreading. One of the major selling points of XBMC is that it should play just about everything you throw at it. I understand that full functionality will take time but the 'anime' thing is rather revent to a good sized portion of XBMC users.

Afterall, we shouldn't need to hunt and peck to find the 'compatible' video file with XBMC, should we? It's not like ffmpeg can't do the job, it's just getting that version of ffmpeg working nicely inside XBMC.
When I don't want to wait for a re-encode group and am willing to watch a show on my laptop, XBMC has played my Hi10P downloads without issue on my 2009 MBP (core2duo). The single thread for video decoding hasn't given me much issue on this system. Although, yes, it would be best to have XBMC be able to use all the resources the computer has.
(2012-07-04, 09:56)jpsdr Wrote: This is the "safest" and easy and quick way i've found, as the biggest problem is to not enable MT with DXVA.
There is apparently others issues than DXVA with MT, but i've not encounter them until now. This is at least working fine for me.
Disable DXVA2 to have MT with the modification i've posted, and no need of course if you're under XP, because DXVA2 is not supported.

Would that mod work in Linux too? My HTPC is on Linux and that's where I have problems. Compilation with an external ffmpeg (MT) fails...

(2012-07-04, 20:24)Ned Scott Wrote: XBMC has played my Hi10P downloads without issue on my 2009 MBP (core2duo). The single thread for video decoding hasn't given me much issue on this system.

On Win7 I can play 1080P/10bit without problems with a 2x2GHZ, the same files can't be played without hiccups on a 3x2.5GHz XBMC/Linux PC.

Sorry, i personnaly don't know the answer to your question.
Wow, those Kara effects of UTWoots' Sword Art Online 01v2 kill the latest build. First time that I noticed it that much.
The v1 of that episode didn't have any Kara, so the OP playing at the end played fine without any framedrops.
(2012-07-11, 01:00)boingman Wrote: Wow, those Kara effects of UTWoots' Sword Art Online 01v2 kill the latest build. First time that I noticed it that much.
The v1 of that episode didn't have any Kara, so the OP playing at the end played fine without any framedrops.

I haven't got around to trying it yet with my E2140, but looks like I might need to swap around some CPUs. I have an E7500 in my main HTPC ... which doesn't ever play back 10-bit, and my server has an E6300 (the original 1.83GHz, not the later much faster one).

Subtitle effects should be able to use the second core even if the h.264 decoding doesn't.
...I wonder if XBMC is smart enough to give ffmpeg it's own core and to keep everything else on the other core(s) to ensure that one core it can use is used as best as possible...
Each OS will prevent this. Because there are more processes/threads running then cores are available the ffmpeg thread and even the whole XBMC process are very likly to get moved off the CPU by the task scheduler.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Well, I installed yesterday's nightly and now UTWoots' Sword Art Online episodes play perfectly, including OP and ED with no slowdowns, so either something was wrong with my system or some more progress was made in those 12 days regarding the subtitle engine of XBMC.
Other releases of UTW, such as Kono Naka still have problems when it comes to heavy kara effects, though.
I haven't had any problems using ericab's OpenELEC built on the 17th for SOA on my E2140 - sits around 30% on each core during the kara effects.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5n2oq4v8xivv1...%5D/Latest

BTW, it looks like 10-bit is completely broken on OpenELEC 2.0 RC5 - if I try to play any 10-bit video, XBMC crashes. But the Frodo builds are going very nicely for me (they used to freeze sometimes esp. after resuming, but that seems to be fixed).
Does it mean DVDPlayer in frodo has combine or inside LAV filter? I'm confuse why people always discuss DSPlayer with hi10p instead of DVDPlayer?
Is DSPlayer the original default player in XBMC? why it replaced with dvdplayer?

(2012-07-24, 01:49)magao Wrote: I haven't had any problems using ericab's OpenELEC built on the 17th for SOA on my E2140 - sits around 30% on each core during the kara effects.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5n2oq4v8xivv1...%5D/Latest

BTW, it looks like 10-bit is completely broken on OpenELEC 2.0 RC5 - if I try to play any 10-bit video, XBMC crashes. But the Frodo builds are going very nicely for me (they used to freeze sometimes esp. after resuming, but that seems to be fixed).

XBMC uses what we call DVDPlayer, it's our internal video player.
Out of curiosity, am I correct that with the current cleverness in hardware decoding, a file that has all these latest encoding tricks will be partially hardware-accelerated (for example I assume that the DCT's and motion compensation stuff can still be done by the GPU) and the rest will have to be done by the CPU? Or will GPUs basically do all-or-nothing when it comes to format support?
  • 36(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support?7