• 41(current)
Solved 10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support?
(2013-01-28, 10:43)fritsch Wrote: @magao:
we must check something like this, to make it generic for all codecs:

if( no vdpau && no xvba && no vaapi && no mac osx hw accel && no windows hw accel && ... && ...)
give the chance to activate multithreading

Yep - this was the idea. It would be a pain to check all options (that should be centralised somewhere) but determining that "this is definitely going to use the software decoder" would then work. Shine's patch would be a good alternative which would work automatically.

Quote:Btw. i have a crystal hd card for sale, that you could plug in and happily use your Atom for everything then :-)

Bah. I'd actually put the CPU in, but then must have deleted it before posting. E2140 with GMA3000 graphics and a PicoPSU. I've previously run it with a G210 in there, but considering that nearly everything being watched on it was 720p and most 10-bit now, I removed the G210 to reduce load on the PicoPSU. Updated the previous post.
(2013-01-27, 23:17)magao Wrote:
(2013-01-17, 20:32)FernetMenta Wrote: D2700 should be fine after this patch has been applied: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/2064

Just wanted to note that this is apparently included in OpenELEC since RC1. Just tried it with RC2 and the playback improvement is amazing. I'm playing back 1080p 10-bit h.264 without dropping frames (yet) on my E2140. Just saw it with 1 core at 100% and the other at ~98% (and it dropped a single frame), so it's a little too close for comfort, but will give a lot more headroom for 720p material. As a rule, the two cores are generally within 1-2% of each other now, whereas before one was significantly more loaded than the other.

Ah - there we go. 8thSin's "A Letter to Momo" is too much for it. But it does suggest that I wouldn't need that much of an upgrade.

Hmm - still only single-threaded for 8-bit h.264 using software decoding resulting in a single core being pegged at 100% while the other is at 20% with straight Blu-Ray rips. I'm using the built-in GMA3000 graphics for a number of reasons, so VAAPI isn't feasible. I would have thought that if software decoding was explicitly being used (i.e. all hardware acceleration options disabled) multi-threaded frame decoding should be used for 8-bit as well. It seems a little bizarre that 10-bit material is playing back better than 8-bit ...

Many, many thanks for the info.

Although I am a little confused, I asked Zotac about their new model ID42 (http://www.zotac.com/en/products/product...tions.html) will support 1080p Hi10p and they answered me:

Quote:Stephen Raue, main developer and founder, OpenELEC. “We have no doubt the new 3rd Generation ZOTAC ZBOX with NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 graphics is ready for the new HD audio and Hi10P video capabilities of the upcoming XBMC 12.0 Frodo-based OpenELEC 3.0 release.”

http://www.zotac.com/news/pressemitteilu...ni-pc.html

Based on other models of this company and the specifications, I suppose the proccesor of ID42 is Intel Pentium Processor 2129Y. Like the decoding of 10 bits is by software, I think: this model is able to support 1080p 10 bits, your processor should be able.

Do you think this model will be able to process 1080p 10 bits without problems?

My idea is mount an HTPC with an Intel Celeron G1610 or G1610T. Do you think one of these will be able?

Thanks.

(2013-01-29, 14:28)momaku Wrote: Based on other models of this company and the specifications, I suppose the proccesor of ID42 is Intel Pentium Processor 2129Y. Like the decoding of 10 bits is by software, I think: this model is able to support 1080p 10 bits, your processor should be able.

Those are very very different processors. The E2140 was released in 2007 ... it's 4 (or maybe even 5) generations earlier than the 2129Y. It was one of the earliest Core 2 CPUs.

I actually have the first Core 2 - the original 1.86GHz E6300 - running in my server right now. Not to be confused with the later E6300 which was much faster.
I have a Core2Quad Q6600 and I get frame drops like crazy when playing Hi10p on XBMC.
The thing is, I downclocked it to 1.6ghz from 2.4ghz, so I can run it silent.
I get frame drops at 2.4ghz and it is downright unplayable at 1.6ghz.

MPC-HC, however, plays 10bit 1080p without dropping a single frame at 1.6ghz.
I also noticed that my CPU usage never hits 100% either.

Of course, my overpowered Core i5 laptop, and Core i7 desktop PC plays it just fine in XBMC.
But still, the Q6600 should be powerful enough to play 2 Hi10p clips at the same time without skipping a beat if I used MPC-HC.

From reading the past 10 pages or so, I'm guessing it is because XBMC disables multithreading?
Does anyone have a multithreaded patched prebuilt version of the final XBMC Frodo v12 uploaded somewhere?
Hi10p takes lots of CPU, you don't have it...
(2013-02-02, 12:36)ShocWave Wrote: I have a Core2Quad Q6600 and I get frame drops like crazy when playing Hi10p on XBMC.
The thing is, I downclocked it to 1.6ghz from 2.4ghz, so I can run it silent.
I get frame drops at 2.4ghz and it is downright unplayable at 1.6ghz.

MPC-HC, however, plays 10bit 1080p without dropping a single frame at 1.6ghz.
I also noticed that my CPU usage never hits 100% either.

Of course, my overpowered Core i5 laptop, and Core i7 desktop PC plays it just fine in XBMC.
But still, the Q6600 should be powerful enough to play 2 Hi10p clips at the same time without skipping a beat if I used MPC-HC.

From reading the past 10 pages or so, I'm guessing it is because XBMC disables multithreading?
Does anyone have a multithreaded patched prebuilt version of the final XBMC Frodo v12 uploaded somewhere?

I don't know if multithreading is the only thing needed, in MPC-HC I have zero framedrops on my E350, which is an extremely low-end CPU with an integrated adequate GPU. I tried a build from for windows from this thread, but I still had framedrops with those exact same files that have no framedrops in MPC-HC in combination with the lav filters. Multiple people, even devs state that you need a lot of oomph in your PC, but I don't get it. Why can MPC-HC play my 10bit files without issues?

CoreElec on a tn95 (s905x). Onkyo NR-656. Canton Movie CD-1000. LG 55B6V.

If it ain't broke: break it, fix it, repeat
(2013-02-02, 15:08)Raytestrak Wrote: I don't know if multithreading is the only thing needed, in MPC-HC I have zero framedrops on my E350, which is an extremely low-end CPU with an integrated adequate GPU. I tried a build from for windows from this thread, but I still had framedrops with those exact same files that have no framedrops in MPC-HC in combination with the lav filters. Multiple people, even devs state that you need a lot of oomph in your PC, but I don't get it. Why can MPC-HC play my 10bit files without issues?

Sorry man, but I'm still skeptical of this claim. *shrug*
@ShocWave and Raytestrak.

Try this here.
Notify me as soon as you've downloaded it.
You have to disable dxva2 to enable multi-threading.
(2013-02-02, 20:44)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2013-02-02, 15:08)Raytestrak Wrote: I don't know if multithreading is the only thing needed, in MPC-HC I have zero framedrops on my E350, which is an extremely low-end CPU with an integrated adequate GPU. I tried a build from for windows from this thread, but I still had framedrops with those exact same files that have no framedrops in MPC-HC in combination with the lav filters. Multiple people, even devs state that you need a lot of oomph in your PC, but I don't get it. Why can MPC-HC play my 10bit files without issues?

Sorry man, but I'm still skeptical of this claim. *shrug*

That's okay, I'm sure there's a lot of difference in 10p files, but with the files I've tested, performance in MPC-HC is flawless on points where I see framedrops with xbmc. I still love xbmc Wink

(2013-02-03, 11:11)jpsdr Wrote: @ShocWave and Raytestrak.

Try this here.

What is it? xbmc 12 with multithreading? Just want to make sure I know what I'm installing ...
CoreElec on a tn95 (s905x). Onkyo NR-656. Canton Movie CD-1000. LG 55B6V.

If it ain't broke: break it, fix it, repeat
It's a build from master branch of the 21/01. It's not exactly xbmc12, and i don't know from which day xbmc 12 is, but if not 100% v12, it's probably more than 99.99%.
(2013-02-03, 11:11)jpsdr Wrote: @ShocWave and Raytestrak.

Try this here.

(2013-02-03, 18:06)jpsdr Wrote: It's a build from master branch of the 21/01. It's not exactly xbmc12, and i don't know from which day xbmc 12 is, but if not 100% v12, it's probably more than 99.99%.

Thank you! Downloaded and installed the recommended file.
The videos now play flawlessly, no frames dropped for h10p 50 MB/s peak anime file. Average cpu use for core 2 quad 2.66 GHz is 56%. Deactivating dxva2 worked like a charm.
Great coding!
hi like alot of people im having playback issues with h10p anime...i have a zotac id41 is it just not capable of handling it....or do i need to change some setting i am currently running xbmc12 buntu would the windows version run smoother? If i do need a new machine which one would you recommend. I was looking at the id42,id82, or id85. Thanks in advance
You need big iron for h10p, those that encode this way really did a disservice to all. They should be lined up and ponked with trout.
@DeathScyther : Good it solved issues for you, and thanks, but, i must said it's not a great coding, but only a very quick and easy patch, and probably not the best/good solution, otherwise, it would have been already done since.

I'm using this for months and haven't seen any issues, but it doesn't mean others configurations may not have issues.
@ jpsdr : I understand what you're saying, I did wonder why the (gem) patch didn't get the feature presentation.

I'm not in the coding business so I don't question it, I just appreciate XBMC dev's and everyone involved hard work and hope for it to succeed.

Anime encoders really push hardware/software optimization ahead of its time and completely disregard industry standards but isn't the next big thing on everyone's mind?

I'm gonna get some friends in Japan just to have an excuse to go there and watch broadcast tv in glorious 4k in 2014!
  • 41(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support?7