• 42(current)
Solved 10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support?
(2013-02-03, 11:11)jpsdr Wrote: @ShocWave and Raytestrak.

Try this here.
Notify me as soon as you've downloaded it.
You have to disable dxva2 to enable multi-threading.

Didn't do an extensive run, but I tried Angel Beats (Doki) and Sword Art Online (Commie) with multithreading. AB had zero dropped frames, SWA dropped 15 during the opening sequence. MPC-HC doesn't drop frames, but truth be told, it does jitter here and there in SWA. CPU swings between 40 and 90% cpu load on two cores. Ofcourse, all my 1080p material won't work with dxva disabled, but toggling doesn't take long. I hope multithreading makes it into an official build someday.

Retried official Frodo: 60 dropped frames before the intro song on AB was over.
CoreElec on a tn95 (s905x). Onkyo NR-656. Canton Movie CD-1000. LG 55B6V.

If it ain't broke: break it, fix it, repeat
(2013-02-04, 18:04)Raytestrak Wrote:
(2013-02-03, 11:11)jpsdr Wrote: @ShocWave and Raytestrak.

Try this here.
Notify me as soon as you've downloaded it.
You have to disable dxva2 to enable multi-threading.

Didn't do an extensive run, but I tried Angel Beats (Doki) and Sword Art Online (Commie) with multithreading. AB had zero dropped frames, SWA dropped 15 during the opening sequence. MPC-HC doesn't drop frames, but truth be told, it does jitter here and there in SWA. CPU swings between 40 and 90% cpu load on two cores. Ofcourse, all my 1080p material won't work with dxva disabled, but toggling doesn't take long. I hope multithreading makes it into an official build someday.

Retried official Frodo: 60 dropped frames before the intro song on AB was over.

For me it was from 184 frames dropped with official Frodo to 0 with the patched version, during OP for Hyouka 1080p (Coalgirls).
(2013-02-04, 12:46)DeathScyther Wrote: Anime encoders really push hardware/software optimization ahead of its time and completely disregard industry standards but isn't the next big thing on everyone's mind?

I'm gonna get some friends in Japan just to have an excuse to go there and watch broadcast tv in glorious 4k in 2014!

Typically, the 'industry' makes everything backwards compatible for enough time for everyone to upgrade, its not like Japan is going to say 'Hey, 4K Broadcast in 2014. Don't have a 4K TV? Well then you can't watch TV anymore." The Anime encoders don't care about backwards compatibility, you can either play the newest and 'best' non-standard formats or you're out of luck. And 10bit was not 'the next big thing on everyone's mind', h.265 is and its behind handled already to NOT give customers issues in the future, which the encoders are disregarding.
I've read somewhere that 3D was considered 'dead' just to hype upcoming 4K tv sets. I actually skipped 3D, maybe I should skip 4K too and go straight to 8K UHD with HEVC...

I was actually considering buying Zoom Player on account of madvr performance. The only reason I didn't is that xbmc is that kind of a pearl for the htpc.

Most people don't care about their codecs, just if the whole thing they're using 'works or not'. If it doesn't they'll just buy something that does. Multimedia HDDs and AVCHD players are a hit but most people are afraid of firmware upgrades and just buy something else.

Blu-ray movies are STILL being bought today by people who think it will work on DVD players. When Blockbuster introduced BD rental flicks a lot of customers complained it didn't work and asked for refunds. That's the typical customer, way misinformed of the industry status. Anime encoders are definitely not the industry nor they try to be.
I'm waiting for laser inject right into my eyes.
My question is, is XBMC going to see the same multi-threading issues with the h.265 decoder once it exists? We'll see software implimentations on a lot of hardware long before we'll see hardware implimentations. Even on my A8-3670K running at 3.3ghz, it's not enough for single threaded decoding of 10bit in a few cases (Mostly where noise or static like effects occupy the whole frame of the video). Without multi-threading I don't see even flawless 1080p h.265 being possible on a huge portion of hardware and 4k will just flat out not happen at all.
i noticed the build listed above.....does this have to be loaded on top of windows or will this install like xbmc buntu, and on that note is it an amd or intel build or simply just a patch that gets loaded into an existing build. Thanks for any help
Okay, so what's a good CPU to play the 10-bit animes under linux/frodo?
I got a better idea, let's just ignore 10-bit animes and maybe those idiots will stop encoding using it.
+1 @davilla's idea.

uNi
My first contact with h10p was with some version of "The Avengers", actually. I thought something was broken with xbmc or catalyst driver for Win7x64 'cause of the artifacts and tried to watch it with vlc (almost felt dizzy 'cause of several render windows?). Then installed a frodo rc and could watch it properly and only then did I found out about how h10p was messing things up. The picture was perfect but still...
Anyway, all of my blu-rays are High@L3 or [email protected] so that were news flash to me.

The only complain I have about the industry is that with my recent blu-ray purchase I got the (never before seen) message from Cyberlink's Blu-ray Player 8 and 10 (both oem versions) that HDCP was blocking my "old" epson projector via vga (the one I used to watch videos on xbmc) and that I could only watch the BD via hdmi. I watched via hdmi but I was not happy. And later I found out that anydvd would let me watch it via vga if I bought it and "legally" unprotected it...?

Something similar happened with a purchased game that displayed the bsod each timeI launched it because of securom outdated file (promptly updated with issue resolved). Just like with rooted or unrooted smartphones work better or not depending of the user's opinion, the industry also pushes the consumer to an educated choice of purchases. I really freakin' hate have to put the dvd in the tray every time I want to play the damn games...

In the end davilla's right of course and I just hope h10p doesn't spread outside animes.

I googled 10 bit hardware and found out some aussie broadcast company using 10-bit signal processing for decoders and encoders? Must read more about it...
removed to not feed the trolls
@ mmstick : I'm not gonna throw away my vga projector just because it is old. Xbmc used dxva with my old ati 5670 and old hdmi 1.3 cable and everything was perfect. I burn dvds and blu-rays alike because people still use that old tech. It's great to use the new but if the industry killed the old the consumer world would go anarchic.

Of course I use hdmi and full hd and used progressive before that but a projector gives that theatre feeling even if doesn't get the cutting edge eye candy.

Stores still have a boat load of dvds and they sell blu-ray with digital copy and/or dvd versions. They aren't planning to put massive quantities of usb pens or ssds with Hi10P versions any time soon...

I purchased dvd anime and they all had something in common: awful subtitles and dolby 2.0. but I still dug it.
Long live grandparents and vga cables. Best of luck to anime too.
It's not even worth bothering with someone like him. The amount of nonsense he was spouting was so horrible that I felt it necessary to delete his posts and ban him from the forums as a trolling account.
(2013-02-10, 02:31)davilla Wrote: I got a better idea, let's just ignore 10-bit animes and maybe those idiots will stop encoding using it.

[rant mode]
Unfortunately, they won't. It's history repeating - they are LOOKING for codecs that are incompatible with anything the average watcher is using (and/or require more CPU power to decode than any mainstream box currently has), in order to arrogantly tell everyone to "get a better PC" and "don't complain, it's free".

Just wait for the first, completely broken alpha versions of h.265 encoders. Bet on it, anime encoders will be the first idiots to start using those.
[/rant mode] :-)
  • 42(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support?7