• 7(current)
Solved 10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support?
davilla Wrote:1) your assumption is wrong...

2) Be little to no work? you have to be kidding right ? I suggest you subscribe to the ffmpeg/libav mailing lists to see what goes on.

if you are going to die if you don't get hi10, then run xbmc with an external player of your choosing and be done with it.
No need to be aggressive, I was just asking a question. I know that several projects decide to stay with versions of external libraries that are known to work, even if switching to the bleeding edge wouldn't be much work in itself (I don't imply laziness, I'm talking about keeping things stable).

And I certainly could wait, but if it's not too much work to hack this stuff together, I would simply do it myself. That's why I was asking. You tell me it is, so I'll give it a spin and waste a few hours and probably give up because I don't have the time, but at least I know what I'm dealing with now. That's all I wanted to know.
magao Wrote:This is the approach I've been wanting to try. A wiki would really help. Once that's done I've just got to work out how to integrate it into OpenELEC ...

A couple months ago I tried to build 10.1 with an external ffmpeg (the version included in mplayer2) but the APIs were pretty dramatically different, due to several ffmpeg updates. I concluded it was a significant amount of work.

Sorry for being the one spreading optimism, but it was awhile ago when I read a ticket in trac for 11.0 mentioning an ffmpeg upgrade; and I believe it was davilla who said in another thread that they had no intention of ripping out multithreading work when merging in the next ffmpeg, so I kinda figured a new ffmpeg was on the agenda for 11.0.

Considering the API changes, it seems like it's going to be a lot of work. It would be nice though if there could be a point update with a new ffmpeg, though point updates are pretty rare for XBMC.
I got Hi10p working in linux last night using an external ffmpeg. Expect a posting around 19:00 Eastern with a link to trac, which will have a patch that will turn off VDPAU automatically (I don't use VAAPI or other hardware acceleration, so others will have to adapt patch and test).
kodi from https://github.com/eternalsword/xbmc/tree/delta, transparency 7.1.5, funtoo kernel 3.18.0
Excellent. Do you have a public git repository with the patch applied? I'll have to see if I can get OpenELEC compiling and point it at your changes.

Unfortunately due to a number of factors (sick, building a new computer to replace my parent's dying one, job interviews) I haven't had any time to look at this so far this week.
magao Wrote:Excellent. Do you have a public git repository with the patch applied? I'll have to see if I can get OpenELEC compiling and point it at your changes.

Unfortunately due to a number of factors (sick, building a new computer to replace my parent's dying one, job interviews) I haven't had any time to look at this so far this week.

I do not have a public repository at this point in time. I did create a ticket on trac for this issue (#12046) and have attached a patch there.
kodi from https://github.com/eternalsword/xbmc/tree/delta, transparency 7.1.5, funtoo kernel 3.18.0
Today I facepalmed something fierce. Eclipse is temporarily back for the final series of Shakugan no Shana and what do they release? SD XviD & 720 Hi10P. Even the dead groups are doing it. >.> I'm half-expecting Dattebayo to suddenly pop back up just so they can join in the fun.
While doki is also doing the series and one of the few groups left encoding in 8bit, Eclipse is obviously the group to go. So another series for which we'll have to rely on someone doing a reencode. Hopefully not for too long.
Doki as a group are actually quite reasonable, as I've mentioned earlier in this thread when the whole 10bit topic came up they actually made a post asking their userbase what they thought of the whole thing instead of taking the "gtfo if you don't like it" route that several other groups such as Commie did. Now we just have to hope they don't drop it due to oversubbing. :p
GG has fallen too, but they didn't label or mention it at all. Not that it matters much; they've dropped almost every show they picked up. Ironically the ones they did release were no smaller for file size (more quality per meg, maybe, but come on).

I noticed a group called EightBit is releasing a lot of other groups subs using 8-bit (h.246 High Profile) video. I'd love to get in touch with them and help out, as I was thinking of making some normal "8bit" encodes with multiple (when applicable) sub tracks (from raws, that is. None of this transcoding 10bit to 8bit sillyness).

I'm still trying to make a wiki page for the brave who want to get an external player working with XBMC, but until I do it myself I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. If anyone has gotten it to work and wants to share the steps they've taken, feel free to share it here and I'll throw it up on the wiki.
Oh, and what's with groups dropping 8-bit h.264, but still holding onto divx?
Turns out Eclipse is releasing both 8-bit and 10-bit. The 8-bit came a couple of days later. However, the 8-bit are smaller, which means either lower quality, or much higher encode times (or both).

My 8-bit transcodes are generally smaller than the 10-bit releases with essentially imperceptible differences (SSIM >0.99, most ~0.995) but some (including my transcode of Eclipse's Shana) end up being larger. I'm using CRF 20 with pretty aggressive encoding options and most shows are going at about 30 FPS on my i7 860 (4 cores/8 threads) running full-bore.
Ned Scott Wrote:Oh, and what's with groups dropping 8-bit h.264, but still holding onto divx?

Essentially the attitude is, "If you're too stupid/lazy to upgrade or have a plastic toy [media player], you should be happy with 480p. Put an HDMI cable between your computer and your TV".

They justify it by saying "480p XviD plays on everything so stfu noob".

I think they're being deliberately obtuse. I have never seen a response to someone (including myself) who has posted about their separate HTPC and gaming/work machines.
magao Wrote:Turns out Eclipse is releasing both 8-bit and 10-bit. The 8-bit came a couple of days later. However, the 8-bit are smaller, which means either lower quality, or much higher encode times (or both).
I hadn't noticed that it was themselves who had released that version since it was named differently. Anyways, really considerate from them and quite different from the STFU reactions of other groups.
@ned
I'd be happy to set you up a brief guide for DSPlayer/10bit, the only thing is DSPlayer itself (as far as I know) excludes the ability to switch audio stream, and also there seems to be a bug with the subtitle engine which can cause frustrating crashes when combined with *some* subs embedded into MKV (possibly complicated ASS ones but I've not worked out the exact pattern).

I'm hoping this will be fixed potentially even though the DSPlayer project is officially dead (Blinkseb has said he *might* have time to take a look), but that does make me wonder whether you want to include it.

It's a way to deal with the issue for now if they're on the Win platform, but until/if that sub bug gets fixed, it's not perfect.
i3-2100 /w Scythe Big Shuriken Cooler, 4GB RAM, GT430 Passive, 40GB SSD boot drive, 2TB 5400RPM internal media drive, 2TB external drive, Nexus 430W PSU, Nexus case fans

Feeding Yamaha RX-V1800, Panasonic 42PZ80 Plasma, Mission 753/Quad speaker surround kit
alexrose1uk Wrote:@ned
I'd be happy to set you up a brief guide for DSPlayer/10bit, the only thing is DSPlayer itself (as far as I know) excludes the ability to switch audio stream, and also there seems to be a bug with the subtitle engine which can cause frustrating crashes when combined with *some* subs embedded into MKV (possibly complicated ASS ones but I've not worked out the exact pattern).

I'm hoping this will be fixed potentially even though the DSPlayer project is officially dead (Blinkseb has said he *might* have time to take a look), but that does make me wonder whether you want to include it.

It's a way to deal with the issue for now if they're on the Win platform, but until/if that sub bug gets fixed, it's not perfect.

Yeah, I keep seeing that setting up the external player is turning into just one step in the process. The next is getting that external player to actually work correctly! Feel free to wait for a bug fix or to post something now, or whatever. DSPlayer is kind of a dead end due to no one actively developing it.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support?7