• 9(current)
Solved 10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support?
anonymlol Wrote:Hi, I'm the one behind [EightBit], I'm only re-encoding the 10bit stuff because xbmc doesn't support it yet. I watch the re-encodes myself, and decided I would share with others who need them. To distinct it from other releases, I tagged them [EightBit] And that's all I do, I'm no expert in encoding and I don't wanna spend too much time with it (if you use other subs, you would have to time them, might turn out to be a lot of hard work).

I use xbmc for mac and tried the external player (mplayer osx extended) and it didn't work for me. After clicking on an episode in xbmc it wouldn't start playing. After a few tries I eventually gave it up and started re-encoding for now.

As for subgroups, doki, ffpeeps, hatsuyuki, shikkaku, gotwoot and horriblesubs (no subgroup, just rippers) and probably some others still release in 8bit. 8bit isn't dead yet. But I hope 10bit makes it into xbmc sooner than later.

I have same issue when set external player in windows but manage to solve it.

I followed guide from Use an external player for media playback and made a few changes.

- <filename> - make sure its the path of your external player without "".
- <args> - remove /close
- rename my 10bit anime to XXX.S01E01 10bit so you could run rules.
- set rule filename=".*10bit.*"

Lastly using eventghost, I've activate media player classic plugin and re-map my PS3 bluetooth remote to the media control of media player classic.

It works brilliantly for me... only 10bit anime will run media player classic.

FYI, I download K-lite Codec Pack and the Media Player Classic came with it.

Sorry if did not work with MAC cuz I do not have any MAC ... Just might be able to give some ideas if you are allowed to use same method. ^_^
Hi. I'm a random passer-by who found this thread when researching 10-bit H.264. For what it's worth, I'll add another data point for anyone wanting to take on building stuff themselves.

I've only gotten into XBMC recently, about two months ago. Since then, I've been periodically rebuilding my copy of ffmpeg and XBMC for my Linux set top boxes. I've had no trouble using ffmpeg HEAD together with xbmc HEAD. I'm currently using xbmc git 7149274 (2011-10-11) and ffmpeg git fbb8468 (2011-10-11), but I don't see any reason why more up-to-date pulls wouldn't work together.

Originally I had tapped the ffmpeg development stream for the new multi-threaded decoder (which is much appreciated on slow-but-multi-core/thread processors). Later, I discovered this also brought 10-bit video capability as a bonus. With one exception, I didn't even realize the difference at the time. So, I suppose this gets a "Hi10 works beautifully with new ffmpeg" vote from me.

The exception is the Crystal HD decoder in one of my boxes. It doesn't support 10-bit video. I'm not sure if this is a library problem, or if the capability just isn't there in hardware. (I've got a BCM70015.) Attempting to use it results in only an audio stream; the video stays on the XBMC background image. So, I guess similar to the VDPAU bypass mentioned on #12046, 10-bit streams need to avoid going to the Crystal HD for now. Watching video on that machine means switching the device off altogether (which is unfortunate for all the footage that can be offloaded to it), or toggling it as necessary (which gets annoying very quickly).

Thanks for all the fish!
I really wish that anime encoders would stop doing the 10bit or that 10bit was somehow compatible with 8bit. It makes my vdpau pointless now >.>

As a confirmation, does anyone know if eden will support 10bit? I can wait for that lol.

EDIT:

Realized saying compatible was stupid considering it is just the fact that you lose so much information it looks like shit afterwords. CURSES!!
Last stated Eden itself won't, as the core player DVDPlayer is built off is too old, but I believe the plan is there might be an 11.1 or similar with an updated player.

Not confirmed yet though unless I'm completely wrong.
i3-2100 /w Scythe Big Shuriken Cooler, 4GB RAM, GT430 Passive, 40GB SSD boot drive, 2TB 5400RPM internal media drive, 2TB external drive, Nexus 430W PSU, Nexus case fans

Feeding Yamaha RX-V1800, Panasonic 42PZ80 Plasma, Mission 753/Quad speaker surround kit
Well that will suck if its true. In the mean time, Im just going to set up an external player (mplayer) to use for all my 10bit stuff.
I tried using dsplayer as per the instructions earlier in this thread but the picture comes out blocky verses the default player. I watch a lot of anime and so the lines are now blocky instead of smooth. Is there any way to fix this? I have tried using coreavc but it did nothing to change the blockyness.

I do not want to be forced to lose quality in order to view 10bit files it is just crazy! I do not have any restrictions on processing power btw so I am good with anything that can resolve this issue.
ZERO <ibis>' Wrote:I tried using dsplayer as per the instructions earlier in this thread but the picture comes out blocky verses the default player. I watch a lot of anime and so the lines are now blocky instead of smooth. Is there any way to fix this? I have tried using coreavc but it did nothing to change the blockyness.

I do not want to be forced to lose quality in order to view 10bit files it is just crazy! I do not have any restrictions on processing power btw so I am good with anything that can resolve this issue.

I'm going to assume you've used the LAVVideo files and DSPlayer is using LAVVideo (it'll say if you press O during playback), and this is a scaling/filtering issue, rather than a decoding issue.

The likely possibility is your scaling has defaulted badly. Play a video, go into the video options, and cycle through the video scaling options. Bicubic 0.75 or Bilinear PS2.0 would be a good place to start, as yours might have defaulted to the fastest but ugliest choice, I can't remember it's name. You want to be running Bicubic or Bilinear.
i3-2100 /w Scythe Big Shuriken Cooler, 4GB RAM, GT430 Passive, 40GB SSD boot drive, 2TB 5400RPM internal media drive, 2TB external drive, Nexus 430W PSU, Nexus case fans

Feeding Yamaha RX-V1800, Panasonic 42PZ80 Plasma, Mission 753/Quad speaker surround kit
alexrose1uk Wrote:I'm going to assume you've used the LAVVideo files and DSPlayer is using LAVVideo (it'll say if you press O during playback), and this is a scaling/filtering issue, rather than a decoding issue.

The likely possibility is your scaling has defaulted badly. Play a video, go into the video options, and cycle through the video scaling options. Bicubic 0.75 or Bilinear PS2.0 would be a good place to start, as yours might have defaulted to the fastest but ugliest choice, I can't remember it's name. You want to be running Bicubic or Bilinear.

In an attempt to fix it I tried using coreavc which did not help and then tried using ffdshow. I was able to improve the quality slightly in ffdshow but I can not get it to look anywhere near as good as with the old stock player. I will see if I get that option anyways and post back.

I am willing to use anything required to output the best quality I just need to know what to use and which options to set Wink
omg I found the options, I feel so stupid now I literally spent hours messing around with various filters... rofl

Well I guess I will turn coreavc back on b/c I assume that is the best.

Any recommendations for the best audio filter currently I am using:
haali media splitter
ffdshow video
ffdshow audio

I will now change ffdshow video to coreavc

Awesome, I was able to use bicubic 1 and turn on deinterlacing and post processing! I feel so stupid for forgetting about those options on the xbmc side.
Glad you found the option I meant, hope the scaling options rectified the issue (IIRC the terrible one is called Next Neighbour or something similar). Personally I slightly prefer Bicubic 0.75 as it gives a nice balance between sharpness and 'blur', although there's not much of a difference. Bilinear PS2.0 should be marginally faster if you find your system struggling at all with Bicubic.

In regards to filters; well, I wouldn't bother with CoreAVC, it was only really ever worthwhile in use for marginal systems and it's not really that much better than the alternatives like LAV and FFDShow these days -it's actually meant to be worse for Hi10p, which frankly is where the speed actually matters as we can't apply GPU accelleration.

In terms of audio filters, I'm also going to say LAV. FFDShow audio is pretty good and offers you (a lot) more configurable options, HOWEVER LAV is more reliable IME (and reputation) when it comes to bitstreaming HD Audio (DDTHD and DTSMA). If you don't bitstream either of these though, then the choice is yours.

Splitter wise, then any of the usuals is a decent choice, they've all got a bug or two haha
Haali supports Ordered Chapters, but has some bugs with some audio tracks IIRC
LAV has less bugs in regards audio feeds, but doesnt support ordered chapters Big Grin

(Disclaimer: Last I read around)

I only use 3% cpu playing 1080p so I have no limits. Interesting, you say that I should maybe switch back to ffdshow for video? Is there any filter options I should set or just leave everything alone?

As far as audio I notice that ffdshow audio likes to output everything as Dolby digital vs how it was before where things would output as PCM 96 PL. However in testing it correctly set dts when that was the bitscream although I have not tested with ac3 yet. Am I beater leaving audio to raw output as PCM 96 PL or should I switch my audio to something else or adjust an option?

I must say that I really am loving the options that this dsplayer build brings to the table. I just hope there will be something similar for the next xbmc release.

On another note has anyone had issues with the screensaver? Mine will start up but then stop randomly which is a big problem as I am using a plasma. I have already had to run the white bar twice to remove burn in caused by this.

Also for anyone wondering about why such low cpu usage, my tv computer is also a backup for my main system and is thus way over powered. It runs an i7 920 with a 60gb ssd along with a Nvidia 200 series card (i forgot the exact model but it is above 220 and below 260)
ZERO <ibis>' Wrote:I only use 3% cpu playing 1080p so I have no limits. Interesting, you say that I should maybe switch back to ffdshow for video? Is there any filter options I should set or just leave everything alone?

As far as audio I notice that ffdshow audio likes to output everything as Dolby digital vs how it was before where things would output as PCM 96 PL. However in testing it correctly set dts when that was the bitscream although I have not tested with ac3 yet. Am I beater leaving audio to raw output as PCM 96 PL or should I switch my audio to something else or adjust an option?

I must say that I really am loving the options that this dsplayer build brings to the table. I just hope there will be something similar for the next xbmc release.

On another note has anyone had issues with the screensaver? Mine will start up but then stop randomly which is a big problem as I am using a plasma. I have already had to run the white bar twice to remove burn in caused by this.

@Video - you could indeed, I'm more of a "leave well alone as long as it looks fine and is working properly" man, so I don't tend to fiddle around too heavily with FFDShow etc, some filters can do more harm than good! All I'll say is if you're fine with the picture quality with Bicubic and the default decoder settings, you may as well leave it be, unless you know what you want to achieve Smile

@ Audio - what it outputs will 100% be down to your audio configuration. FFDShow audio has a lot more configurable options and you can tinker a lot more; LAV is more of 'WYSIWYG' audio filter, that passes the original audio correctly, and does minimal amounts of tweaking to it; which is probably WHY it's more reliable when it comes to bitstreaming Smile

One day hopefully DSCodec or similar players will come to the fore; it is with continuing sadness I look back and see how close DSPlayer was to completion before the project was scrapped.

I haven't had any issues with the black screen screensaver, as long as I dont knock the mouse/keyboard/remote etc. You might have something else that's waking the PC, or alternatively could you be vibrating/knocking the mouse etc slightly?

who would have thought people actually watch anime.... I only though that was for losers and little kids. hmm.
compcentral Wrote:who would have thought people actually watch anime.... I only though that was for losers and little kids. hmm.

you lie.

anime is awesome and you know you love it.
nah. I stopped watching cartoons when i was like 10... now why would I want to watch the subtitled variety as an adult? I guess I just don't get it, but I suppose some of you never got to watch cartoons as a kid or something.... to each their own I suppose.
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support?7