• 12(current)
Solved 10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support?
So, it will take 14 months before XBMC actually supports Hi10P?
Mailia Wrote:So, it will take 14 months before XBMC actually supports Hi10P?

The next official and stable release will hopefully take less than a year. The devs are interested in and are looking at shorter release cycles, but there are no promises. An update to FFmpeg might not even be a full release; it could be a .1 or a .5 type release. It all depends on what the devs decide.

That being said, even if the official/stable release takes longer, that in itself does not mean it will take a year to get Hi10P support. Lots of people will run the nightly builds to get faster access to the bleeding edge features, and it's possible for anyone to make their own branch/build of XBMC with an updated FFmpeg library.

On linux (such as using XBMC Live) one can use an external FFmpeg library, so you don't have to wait for XBMC itself to be updated (I'm working on getting some easy-to-use how-to's made for this, but haven't had a lot of time lately. I will try to make this a priority.)

(Then there's always the external player option, but I think a lot of us have found out that it is a bit of a PINA to get that working nicely.)

So, no, you won't have to wait 14 months. At least logic suggests you won't have to wait 14 months. For all I know a solar flare could happen and computers will stop working for 14 months.
Ned Scott Wrote:Mentioned in the 3rd post of this thread... just sayin'

Their official 10bit notice was posted last week... just sayin. :p
For these interested and crazy enough to test it Wink I compiled (for Windows) lastest XBMC head with FFmpeg n0.7.6 tag (iirc 1 month old -> contains Hi10P support).

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9P0EDUAH

But please be aware that I'm not regular C/C++ developer and until now I had almost none knowledge about XBMC DVDPlayer so I corrected only obvious problems. I'm almost sure there will be some hidden gotchas so don't be surprised Smile. But what I tested Hi10P h.264 video files are now processed correctly.
Btw don't forget turn off DXVA support, I didn't tested what happen during Hi10P video playback with DXVA on Smile.

Additional note: don't expect much of support for this, I'm quite busy in life so I'll have no time for it.
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

For the moment, though, I have two XBMC installs on my Win 7 system.
A normal XBMC install in portable mode with DVDPlayer as default player and another one with DSPlayer as default player. I mostly use the first one and the DSPlayer solution only if I don't find a 8bit encode or don't want to wait too long.
Wink 
You can still use DVDPlayer with a DSPlayer install of XBMC.

You simply need to manually select it (press c once you've found your file, and it's under 'Play with').
i3-2100 /w Scythe Big Shuriken Cooler, 4GB RAM, GT430 Passive, 40GB SSD boot drive, 2TB 5400RPM internal media drive, 2TB external drive, Nexus 430W PSU, Nexus case fans

Feeding Yamaha RX-V1800, Panasonic 42PZ80 Plasma, Mission 753/Quad speaker surround kit
boingman Wrote:Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Let me know results, I'm interested how it works on other computers than mine.
alexrose1uk Wrote:You can still use DVDPlayer with a DSPlayer install of XBMC.

You simply need to manually select it (press c once you've found your file, and it's under 'Play with').

I know, but somehow that XBMC install isn't running very stable on my system and crashes more than the normal one, so I only use it when I need it for 10bit.
Registered to give some feedback to bambi73--your build seems to be working well for me, 10bit content playing correctly so far. Thanks for your efforts on this...
Thanks bambi73 for your work,

I've just tested it under windows7 64 bit, nvidia 485m and 285.62 driver.
Unfortunately I still got the same green artifacts on 10 bit videos.
If I could find some free time I'll try compiling it myself for linux with external ffmpeg.

Bye ^^
Kurosama Wrote:'ve just tested it under windows7 64 bit, nvidia 485m and 285.62 driver.
Unfortunately I still got the same green artifacts on 10 bit videos.
If I could find some free time I'll try compiling it myself for linux with external ffmpeg.
It's weird, when I played Hi10P videos in old player or in regular XBMC I got blocking or color problems but always in color of surrounding pixels, never saw directly green artifacts and never heard about it. Maybe if you can test your video with another player which is using ffmpeg library, like MPlayer WW for example (newer version from 20110916 plays my Hi10P video correctly, older doesn't) and tell me results. Btw what video are you playing (PM if you won't to post it here)?

But of course there can be problems with my implementation in XBMC for reasons I wrote in my previous posts Smile
@bambi73:
Ok, installed and tested it with the latest episodes of Gundam Age by sage and Fate/Zero by UTW, both in 10bit.
When I play the files with my standard settings ("deinterlace video" disabled) that work fine on 8bit files, the 10bit files look like this:
ImageImage

To fix that green mess, enabling "deinterlace video" seems to do the trick.
ImageImage

Though the preview picture seems to be screwed up, no matter what.

Overall though, this seems to work pretty well. And no crashes so far on my Win 7 64bit system with GTX 570 and Nvidia 285.38 drivers. Thanks a lot for the work.
Wow, thanks, Bambi. This build is working perfectly for me at the moment. Do you know if updating FFMpeg has any side-effects, such as multi-core video decoding or ordered chapter/segment support?
boingman Wrote:...
To fix that green mess, enabling "deinterlace video" seems to do the trick.
Though the preview picture seems to be screwed up, no matter what
I tried to turn deinterlacing off and it happens on my computer too. So now I can analyze it, question is if I'll be able to repair it Wink

maruchan Wrote:Wow, thanks, Bambi. This build is working perfectly for me at the moment. Do you know if updating FFMpeg has any side-effects, such as multi-core video decoding or ordered chapter/segment support?
Afaik ffmpeg-mt was merged to head in March, so this build should contain multi-tread support. But if mt support needs some changes to player itself then it'll not work because I didn't changed anything in frame processing.
Unfortunatelly ordered chapter/segment support was never part of ffmpeg.
I tried this build just for the ffmpeg-mt aspect, since MPC-HC using ffdhow with ffmpeg-mt as the decoder plays back all my movies flawlessly, no hardware acceleration needed, while XBMC's player is hopeless with software and drops frames even with DXVA. I need to run in not "true" fullscreen because I can't stand when I get dumped to desktop if something happens on my PC (a message from a program, etc).

Anyway, this doesn't work well for me. The same movies that play with MPC/ffmpeg-mt at 50% or less CPU usage, max out with this and it's a steady stream of dropped frames. Could be that whatever else is going on in the current ffmpeg is too intense for my processor? I suppose I could update MPC to use the latest version and see how that compares.
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support?7