• 10(current)
Req SACD/DSDIFF playback in XBMC
after spending some time with daphile impossible to get DSD audio on the onkyo amplifier. there is very few documentation on daphile to explain what each option do...
(2014-12-31, 19:00)JBNY Wrote:
(2014-12-29, 15:01)jaoued Wrote: I'm trying to play 2.8Mhz DSD file (dff) on my Kodi 14 on debian.
it passe a PCM 192Khz to my Onkyo amplifier instead of passthogh DSD.
but it support dsd :

I get the same thing, DSD diff file converted to PCM and send to my DAC via USB.even when not using passthrough.

Using a Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSDse and it only shows up as PCM on the DAC, :-(

This is actually a different matter I think. Looks like this DAC only supports DOP or ASIO when in Windows which is because the manufacturer has no driver support in Linux for anything but basic USB. I think in Windows you might be able to DOP to work with XBMC but best ask around, also Async mode is likely Window only so SQ would likely be better.

(2015-01-02, 19:22)jaoued Wrote: after spending some time with daphile impossible to get DSD audio on the onkyo amplifier. there is very few documentation on daphile to explain what each option do...

Daphile seems to support only DOP, that is not suitable for HDMI receivers. If driver support existed I think we need raw DSD.

Edit: It looks like lack of support in Alsa might be a big part of the reason that DSD cannot be streamed as it seems DSD can be transmitted within IEC61937 so driver support is likely already present.

Fritsch is quite active on these forums and was one of the 2 primary authors of the Audio Engine so might be able to answer this question (My answer above is cobbled together from Google).
(2015-01-02, 21:00)Krobar Wrote: This is actually a different matter I think. Looks like this DAC only supports DOP or ASIO when in Windows which is because the manufacturer has no driver support in Linux for anything but basic USB. I think in Windows you might be able to DOP to work with XBMC but best ask around, also Async mode is likely Window only so SQ would likely be better.

I'm not sure I understand what you wrote. I am running KodiBuntu. Are you saying that my DAC does not support DSD under linux? W4S specifically states that they support DSD, and Async USB driverlessly on MAC and Linus platforms. Also most reviewers using this DAC have done their reviews on MAC so it definitely supports those modes.

Or are you saying that DSD and/or Async mode is only supported in Windows? I not sure why that would be as Ubuntu and linux are both USB Class 2 Audio compliant so they support USB async in the base OS.

So I am confused now.
Hello,

seems that there are economical interests (usb dsd devices) that preventing us to have DSD over HDMIi for most of us with newer recivers. All newer Onkyos, Denons, Pioneers are supporting DSD over HDMI without to buy USB DSD converter.

I hope that Fermenta or Fritsch have interest to add this, but not sure since they already cut some functionality for High End Plasma/Oled users (Remove Black Bars Funcion is no longer working since 15.0 and will be compleatly cut in the next Version).
That's bull. Pioneer even has a USB DAC feature built into its top of the line receivers.
Not sure what you are writing?
DSD over USB has no standard at the moment. Thats fact. The only standard is DSD over HDMI without to have to install properitary drivers.
Stop writing Bull and read before you post!
I have a question. I tried a dff file and the codec info reported it was decoded as 8bit/352kHz. I'm curious as to why it's 8 bit? Is there any quality loss involved if it's not 16 or 24 bit, or does the 352khz compensate for that?
Technically it is 1 bit audio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Stream_Digital

Any news on Bitstream capability to Amps? (Would be particularly useful for 5.1 DSD).
I understand that SACD is 1 bit, but I'm actually talking about the PCM conversion that Kodi outputs.
I think the output format depends on the device you have attached. Some DSD USB dacs use DOP or similar which can cause the odd sampling format you mention. My setup outputs 24/192 to the amp over HDMI which is not optimal AFAIK as DSD works best in 44Khz increments like 24/176.

Has anyone got 5.1 DSD decode working? 5.1 DSF files only decode as 2 channel on my setup (Same setup works fine with high res 5.1/7.1 files in MKV or FLAC).
I have 5.0 DSD decoding working on Openelec and IntelNuc, but only as PCM stream over HDMI to an Onkyo 5009.
Have to check what rate is used, but i think 24/192.

tommy
Since this thread is fairly active. I am trying to play a 5.1 dff file through KODI. It acts like it is playing, but I have no audio. Everything else plays fine. Any ideas?

Edit: Search the thread idiot. WASAPI!!!! Got it now, love it.
So 5.1 dff works under Windows? Does 5.1 dsf work?
I have 5.1 DSF playing perfectly on my NUC (i5) via HDMI on a Pinoeer SC-LX73.
They play 8bit @352.8khz / 16934kbps.
The AV recieves and plays a 5.1 PCM stream.

What I am missing is that the Tag's from the DSF files are not read.
This seems to be missing yet - I hope for an implementation.
Can be found in my fork as a consequence of general ffmpeg based tag reading.
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SACD/DSDIFF playback in XBMC5