• 17(current)
Req SACD/DSDIFF playback in XBMC
Change your ISOs to DSF files and Kodi will play them, no loss of quality either (Unless your receiver is running in pure mode with no equalization and this is hugely marginal)
(2017-04-23, 18:12)Krobar Wrote: Change your ISOs to DSF files and Kodi will play them, no loss of quality either (Unless your receiver is running in pure mode with no equalization and this is hugely marginal)

Foobar2000 will batch convert SACD (ISO) files to FLAC but not DSF without extensive work. What's the advantage of DSF over FLAC ? FLAC files can be tagged.
DSF keeps the original DSD format and allows ID3V1 tags. Last time I checked Foobar does not support DSD compression within Flac (Although I think it is part of the spec) so it converts to PCM first.

DACs with native DSD decoding should see marginal improvements in sound quality as no PCM conversion is needed.
(2017-04-23, 19:50)Krobar Wrote: DSF keeps the original DSD format and allows ID3V1 tags. Last time I checked Foobar does not support DSD compression within Flac (Although I think it is part of the spec) so it converts to PCM first.

DACs with native DSD decoding should see marginal improvements in sound quality as no PCM conversion is needed.

Can you recommend an easy way to convert my SACD ISO's to DSF files ? I'm willing to give it a try.
The tracks inside the ISO should already be in the correct format. IMHO it's not a question of converting but extracting them. Maybe try mounting them in foobar2000 and then copy or save them from the playlist.
(2017-04-23, 21:20)HeresJohnny Wrote: The tracks inside the ISO should already be in the correct format. IMHO it's not a question of converting but extracting them. Maybe try mounting them in foobar2000 and then copy or save them from the playlist.

Yes - in Foobar2000 the files are displayed as "DST64" but I don't see a way to extract them.
Update: I installed a program called DSDMate which is a plugin for Foobar2000. There's a YouTube video showing the install and operation. Finding the key to unlock the program was a bear but I followed instructions laid out in one of the comments under the video. I converted 12 songs (1 album) which took about 5 minutes. The DSF files now play perfectly (in surround) with Kodi. Here's a link to the YT Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbxkmLsYh60

Note: Installation is quite involved. You must shut off your anti-virus program and hack the registry. Those with weak hearts should not attempt this Smile
Although far from optimal, it might be enough for some of you.

I have a vfs add-on for SACD isos https://github.com/xbmc/repo-binary-addons/pull/81
When playing DSF files (extracted from an SACD ISO) in Kodi, there is a loud crackling noise between tracks. When these same files are played in Foobar, there is no crackling noise. I wonder if the silence between tracks is causing the Kodi decoder to cut on and off, causing the digital crackling noise.
(2017-04-24, 12:38)ironic_monkey Wrote: Although far from optimal, it might be enough for some of you.

I have a vfs add-on for SACD isos https://github.com/xbmc/repo-binary-addons/pull/81
Very interesting! Any idea when this will be merged into master and how much horsepower it will need?
it's not too bad, just more than expected. i'm sure any realistic device in use can do it (rpi and such). you'll be pegging the cores more than normal, but it shouldn't be beyond the hardware.

no idea about when it will be merged. there are some generic bugs being triggered by it which needs hunting first.
(2017-04-24, 23:12)blueribb Wrote: When playing DSF files (extracted from an SACD ISO) in Kodi, there is a loud crackling noise between tracks. When these same files are played in Foobar, there is no crackling noise. I wonder if the silence between tracks is causing the Kodi decoder to cut on and off, causing the digital crackling noise.

I run Kodi on my Fire TV box and get the same click between tracks. Fwiw, I'm running 16.0 Jarvis, so maybe I need to update Kodi. Either way, hopefully someone knows how to fix this or fix it.
Mmm, it looks like the clicking only occurs on my setup with DSF as I played two stereo albums converted from SACD ISO to DFF (using ISO2DSD) last night and there were no clicks between tracks. I'll convert a multichannel album similarly and see if I can play that without clicks.
Music 
I got the same issue. Does anybody might have an idea why this is happening and how to avoid the noise between the dsf tracks??
Nod
(2017-06-12, 10:35)lunki Wrote: I got the same issue. Does anybody might have an idea why this is happening and how to avoid the noise between the dsf tracks??
Nod

So few people are interested in SACD and related files that this issue may never be addressed by Kodi. In the meantime you can play SACD ISO's and related files in Foobar 2000 without noise between tracks.
  • 17(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SACD/DSDIFF playback in XBMC5