• 27(current)
Req SACD/DSDIFF playback in XBMC
With MLP 5.1 (dvd-audio) - I do the same.
I upgraded to 19.0 Matrix on my NVidia Shield and installed the new plugin.  My Billy Joel "The Stranger" SACD ISO plays great with it!  However, my Billy Joel "Streetlife Serenader" 4.0 Quad SACD ISO only shows up as stereo for some reason.  If I set the plugin to show "all" (both stereo and multichannel) there's clearly two sets of tracks on the disc and they do sound different in the front channels as they're clearly the two different mixes, but the surround channels do not play on the quad tracks, just the front channels.  Is this a limitation of the plugin or is it likely something else?  I played with the audio settings quite a bit, but I couldn't get any surround output, not even when I forced a fixed 4.0 configuration (AVR shows 4 speaker icons lit up, but nothing comes out of the surrounds).  

Another question someone might know the answer to....  If I've got audio set to optimized or best, wouldn't CD ripped music select a 44.1kHz playback rate as the best matching rate?  I still get 48kHz (which would be an upsample) unless I use the "fixed" setting and limit to 44.1 on my NVidia Shield (then it shows 44.1 on my receiver).
THEATER: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
Can you play Quad audio ok ouside of Kodi in another app? as it could be a Android/Shield problem.
(2021-04-04, 12:11)VonMagnum Wrote: I upgraded to 19.0 Matrix on my NVidia Shield and installed the new plugin.  My Billy Joel "The Stranger" SACD ISO plays great with it!  However, my Billy Joel "Streetlife Serenader" 4.0 Quad SACD ISO only shows up as stereo for some reason.  If I set the plugin to show "all" (both stereo and multichannel) there's clearly two sets of tracks on the disc and they do sound different in the front channels as they're clearly the two different mixes, but the surround channels do not play on the quad tracks, just the front channels.  Is this a limitation of the plugin or is it likely something else?  I played with the audio settings quite a bit, but I couldn't get any surround output, not even when I forced a fixed 4.0 configuration (AVR shows 4 speaker icons lit up, but nothing comes out of the surrounds).  

Another question someone might know the answer to....  If I've got audio set to optimized or best, wouldn't CD ripped music select a 44.1kHz playback rate as the best matching rate?  I still get 48kHz (which would be an upsample) unless I use the "fixed" setting and limit to 44.1 on my NVidia Shield (then it shows 44.1 on my receiver).
Does the Streetlife Serenade ISO play properly in Foobar2000 ? Is that the only SACD ISO with issues ?
(2021-04-04, 12:11)VonMagnum Wrote: I upgraded to 19.0 Matrix on my NVidia Shield and installed the new plugin.  My Billy Joel "The Stranger" SACD ISO plays great with it!  However, my Billy Joel "Streetlife Serenader" 4.0 Quad SACD ISO only shows up as stereo for some reason.  If I set the plugin to show "all" (both stereo and multichannel) there's clearly two sets of tracks on the disc and they do sound different in the front channels as they're clearly the two different mixes, but the surround channels do not play on the quad tracks, just the front channels.  Is this a limitation of the plugin or is it likely something else?  I played with the audio settings quite a bit, but I couldn't get any surround output, not even when I forced a fixed 4.0 configuration (AVR shows 4 speaker icons lit up, but nothing comes out of the surrounds).  

Yep, see post #370

I have many multichannel SACD .iso's that the plugin only plays with 2 channels while foobar plays them fine in multichannel.
(2021-04-04, 15:14)jjd-uk Wrote: Can you play Quad audio ok ouside of Kodi in another app? as it could be a Android/Shield problem.

DTS soundtracks with Quad or 3-channel etc. all play correctly.  I believe formats like FLAC will play correctly with any number of channels through multi-in on the receiver, but KODI is only outputting 2-channel as far as I can tell and the receiver doesn't show "Multi-In" for the signal, just 2-channels stereo.  If I set KODI to "fixed" and change the output channels with "keep audio device alive" turned on, 4.0 shows 4 speakers in the Marantz display light up on the display.  5.1 and 7.1 also light up those amount of speaker channels on the display and of course 2-channel works.  Other options like 6.1 just show stereo on the display (even though 6.1 works for any movie encoded in 6.1 such as DTS-ES 6.1 or DTS-HD MA 6.1).  

(2021-04-04, 15:20)blueribb Wrote:
(2021-04-04, 12:11)VonMagnum Wrote:  
Does the Streetlife Serenade ISO play properly in Foobar2000 ? Is that the only SACD ISO with issues ?

I wouldn't know since I don't have Foobar2000.  I'm using an NVidia Shield with KODI in my home theater and I normally use a Mac for my server (it does have Windows 10 on it as well, but the computer isn't connected to a multi-channel output system, just the home theater).  Foobar2000  for the Mac is just a basic player; it doesn't support components like the Windows version and I don't see Foobar2000 on the PlayStore for the Shield. 

I'm looking for a good conversion program to FLAC.  I'll probably have to find a Windows one since Mac software seems limited in that area or costs a fair amount of money when it appears there are free conversion programs for Windows.
THEATER: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
(2021-04-05, 10:38)VonMagnum Wrote: I believe formats like FLAC will play correctly with any number of channels through multi-in on the receiver, but KODI is only outputting 2-channel as far as I can tell and the receiver doesn't show "Multi-In" for the signal, just 2-channels stereo.

As SACD's are decoded to LPCM is was only that I was interested in see if Shield is able to handle correct Multichannel LPCM to AVR so that AVR will switch to Multi-In. You can use these files to confirm https://github.com/sfiera/flac-test-files as these will also confirm correct channel mapping. Make sure to test with another app other than Kodi e.g. VLC to etablish if it's an exclusive Kodi problem or whether it might be the fault of the Shield and it's ability to handle Multichannel PCM as many android devices either can't do it or get this wrong, although I don't recall ever seeing anything mentioned about the Shield having Multichannel LPCM issues.
(2021-04-05, 15:14)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2021-04-05, 10:38)VonMagnum Wrote: I believe formats like FLAC will play correctly with any number of channels through multi-in on the receiver, but KODI is only outputting 2-channel as far as I can tell and the receiver doesn't show "Multi-In" for the signal, just 2-channels stereo.

As SACD's are decoded to LPCM is was only that I was interested in see if Shield is able to handle correct Multichannel LPCM to AVR so that AVR will switch to Multi-In. You can use these files to confirm https://github.com/sfiera/flac-test-files as these will also confirm correct channel mapping. Make sure to test with another app other than Kodi e.g. VLC to etablish if it's an exclusive Kodi problem or whether it might be the fault of the Shield and it's ability to handle Multichannel PCM as many android devices either can't do it or get this wrong, although I don't recall ever seeing anything mentioned about the Shield having Multichannel LPCM issues.

I'll test them and get back to you.
(2021-04-05, 15:14)jjd-uk Wrote:

I tested KODI 19.0, MRMC, SPMC and VLC on the NVidia Shield.

KODI 19.0 Matrix:
The first thing of note is that the SACD ISO plugin does indeed play Billy Joel's Streetlife Serenader 4.0 QUAD correctly.  It's KODI not selecting a compatible mode that's the issue here, although the plugin apparently does not select 4.0 output, but 2.0 output for some reason. 

For Streetlife Serenader in QUAD 4.0 SACD.ISO:

If I select "Optmized" or "Best Match" in settings, I get "stereo" output of the album no matter what.

If I select "FIXED" 5.1 the album plays the surround channels from the side surrounds. 

If I select "FIXED" 7.1, it plays the surround channels from the rear surrounds. 

If I select "FIXED" 4.0, my Marantz 7012 lights up QUAD correctly (L/C/SL/SR) as inputs, but I get no sound out of the surround channels at all (it discards the information entirely; it does not play from the fronts).  

For the FLAC files:

KODI selects STEREO for "center.flac", "stereo.flac" and I think "surround50.flac" and all outputs at least come out of the speakers (no center channel used in center.flac as it's using stereo)

KODI selects "QUAD" for 'quad.flac' but I get only the front channels out of the front speakers.  Once again, despite the AVR showing quad inputs, no sound is sent out for the rear channel callouts.

KODI selects "5.1" for "surround51.flac" and outputs correctly

KODI selects "7.1" for "surround71.flac" and outputs correctly

For MRMC and SPMC (both gave the same results):

For the FLAC files set to Best Match or Optimized:

They select stereo for "stereo.flac" and output correctly

They select "5.1" for "center.flac", "quad.flac", "surround50.flac" and "surround 51.flac" and all output correctly (quad goes to side surrounds)

They select "7.1" for "surround61.flac" and "surround71.flac" and output correctly with rear center outputting between the rear surrounds

If I select "Fixed" for anything other than 2.0, 5.1 or 7.1, they default to the nearest one of those three with the higher number of channels for all the other modes.  They seem to know which modes work and which don't on the Marantz 7012.  Only KODI 19.0 attempts to play QUAD mode (lights up but doesn't function right).

For VLC with FLAC files:

It behaves similar to KODI except it lights stereo for "quad.flac" and outputs nothing for the rear channels (instead of showing quad) but the end results are the same as KODI.

Conclusions:

It's nice to see that the SACD plugin will at least play the surround output from a quad album correctly if I manually select a "Fixed" output of 5.1 (to use side surrounds) or 7.1 (to use rear surrounds).  Actually, that's kind of neat being able to select which surround speakers are used for quad albums as I might choose differently depending on which row of seats I'm sitting in (rears for rows 2 & 3 and sides for row 1, although rears sounded pretty good there too).  

It would be nice if there were (or is one I don't know about) a setting to tell KODI which speaker configuration output modes work and which do not so it doesn't attempt to use them and chooses the next higher one automatically like MrMC and SPMC seem to do automatically. I don't know if there's a script config to do that anywhere (a drop down like for seek times to disable certain modes would be nice, for example).  I also don't know why KODI 19.0 chooses a mode with fewer speakers than the source file uses for "center.flac" and "surround50.flac" instead of one with more regardless of the audio preference setting I pick other than "fixed".  Perhaps this can be addressed at some point?

For the moment, I will just manually change the preference setting to fixed and select which speaker set I want for the album and any others I might acquire in quad.
Ok I think that confirms my suspicion that either the Shield or Android doesn't handle Quad correctly, probably because it's not a mainstream format. Sounds like MRMC and SPMC have workarounds maybe because it's an issue on lots of Android devices. Not sure if we can do the same for Android only as you probably wouldn't want Quad sent as 4 active channels with 2 passive in a 5.1 layout on Linux, Windows etc which are likely able to handle it.
(2021-04-06, 10:08)jjd-uk Wrote: Ok I think that confirms my suspicion that either the Shield or Android doesn't handle Quad correctly, probably because it's not a mainstream format. Sounds like MRMC and SPMC have workarounds maybe because it's an issue on lots of Android devices. Not sure if we can do the same for Android only as you probably wouldn't want Quad sent as 4 active channels with 2 passive in a 5.1 layout on Linux, Windows etc which are likely able to handle it.

Would it be possible to add a way to disable the modes that don't work or aren't desired on a given system (even if only in the advanced settings or something)?  That way it wouldn't affect anything by default.
The person who could likely work on anything like that has zero free time at the moment. If you could post a debug log when playing a Quad file as an example, so we can see what Kodi is sending to Android Audiotrack.
(2021-04-06, 19:55)jjd-uk Wrote: The person who could likely work on anything like that has zero free time at the moment. If you could post a debug log when playing a Quad file as an example, so we can see what Kodi is sending to Android Audiotrack.

I have tests on my 2017 NVidia Shield Pro for all the FLAC files included here (starting with center.flac).  I cut the irrelevant stuff after startup until when I started playback.  Let me know if something is missing or whatever.

CLICK HERE for PasteBin Page
(2021-04-11, 10:50)VonMagnum Wrote:
(2021-04-06, 19:55)jjd-uk Wrote: The person who could likely work on anything like that has zero free time at the moment. If you could post a debug log when playing a Quad file as an example, so we can see what Kodi is sending to Android Audiotrack.

I have tests on my 2017 NVidia Shield Pro for all the FLAC files included here (starting with center.flac).  I cut the irrelevant stuff after startup until when I started playback.  Let me know if something is missing or whatever.

CLICK HERE for PasteBin Page

Thanks, that shows me on L447 & 448 that Kodi sends 4 channels with correct layout for Quad so it must be Audiotrack on the Shield that is mangling it.
Is there a way to show artwork for .iso files (like SACD here) and/or .bda files (Blu-ray audio only) without having to put them in a directory? 

The .MKA and with the SACD plugin .ISO files "open" to show a list of track names (assuming .MKA has chapters) so as I'm putting all my surround audio files in one directory on my NVidia Shield I've got directories for DTS & FLAC files (those show art fine with folder.jpg or cover.jpg), but if I put .MKA or .ISO files in a directory, they end up behaving like they're two directories deep (once to click into the folder and then another click to open the .MKA or .ISO file) plus the art doesn't seem to show up with the album itself once it's opened (just the directory above it) either way and I'm not sure I understand KODI's artwork naming system well enough to come up with something that works under these conditions.  I don't know if you can embed artwork in .BDA files anyway (certainly I cannot in .ISO ones).  I don't need the albums added to the library, but it would be nice if it showed the artwork on the play list. 

Certainly, if I put .BDA and .ISO files in the directories with the other FLAC/DTS album directories, they show up in a nice single list and the .BDA and .ISO files act like they're directories of DTS and FLAC files (one click to open album), but that doesn't solve the artwork issue.  I've read there's a program to split .BDA files into .M4V files that can play Atmos music, etc., but I think someone mentioned they are not gapless (whereas .MKA or even the video version .MKV are).

I thought maybe albumname.jpg would get picked up (as in "cover.jpg" representing the name of that particular album cover), but it would appear no such luck.
  • 27(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SACD/DSDIFF playback in XBMC5