No sound with: navigation clicks, fceu (and other emulation) and some youtube videos
Howdy all. I am running xbmc-live on a zotac zbox hd-id11. My xbmc version is 10.1 Git Unknown compiled march 9, 2011.

My /etc/lsb-release:
Code:
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=lucid
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS - XBMCLive Dharma"

I have no /etc/asound.conf file to speak of. I do have a .asoundrc file in my xbmc user's home directory and it looks like this:

Code:
pcm.dmixer {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
ipc_key_add_uid false
ipc_perm 0660
slave {
pcm "hw:1,3"
rate 48000
channels 2
period_time 0
period_size 1024
buffer_time 0
buffer_size 4096
}
}

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.!hdmi-remap {
type asym
playback.pcm {
type plug
slave.pcm "remap-surround71"
}
}

pcm.!remap-surround71 {
  type route
  slave.pcm "hw:1,3"
  ttable {
    0.0= 1
    1.1= 1
    2.4= 1
    3.5= 1
    4.2= 1
    5.3= 1
    6.6= 1
    7.7= 1
  }
}

My Settings->System->Audio settings are set to use HDA Nvidia hdmi for both.

Now, my sound works great in both music and videos. However, menu clicks don't work. Neither does sound in mame or fceu (or any other emulator I've tried). Also, some youtube videos don't have sound either. Here's an example. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcPvl6oEN-Y

What's frustrating here is that for awhile, I had sound working for menu clicks and also in emulators. I believe the only thing that changed between then and now was that I updated to 10.1? But, I'm not certain. Like a goon I was tinkering with a bunch of stuff.

Now, I've heard talk that menu clicks are broken in 10.1. If that's true, does that mean this other stuff is related? I just got an Xbox 360 wireless controller and I would really love to have sound in side of Rygar. Also, the Youtube deal is a little annoying also. I've read tons of thread and I feel like I've tried about a dozen different .asoundrc and asound.conf settings, but to no avail. And, yes, I tried the Custom plugw:1,3 stuff as well.

I'm just hoping that someone else using a similar box, running 10.1, could clue me into what I might be doing wrong?
its just the same as me, no 2ch sound, only 5ch. The analog output works, but not the optical. Used to work, i did nothing, maybe a hidden/automatic update made the problem. Running Dharma, installed from live cd with ubuntu 10.04 lucid
Well, at least I'm not alone. I think I might have upgraded from a 10.0 version to 10.1 because I wanted to use a MySQL backend. Maybe that's the issue? I heard other people say that there is a known audio issue in 10.1 and that, in the next version, xbmc will have it's own mixer. But, maybe that isn't correct.
Nope they had planned to add a new audio engine for eden release. Apparently its not 100% complete yet, so they scrapped it and will release it after eden. There are also dxva ffmpeg2 issues and deinterlace issues with windows that have also been patched and fixed by users that will also not be included in eden... Not sure why.

But looks like the best features to come will be a longer wait. They might be included in nightlies straight after eden release though. Maybe end of next year!

All in due time.

Loggio.
Hopefully the main concentration in the next release is pvr, just like roadmap states. Pvr and audio engine. What an upgrade that would be!!

(i wish) hehehehe
Hmm... then I guess I'll have to try and figure this HDMI audio problem out. Draag. Personally, I don't see the need for PVR. I use Sickbeard for that and it rules.
Sickbeard is a completely different concept. PVR is for liveTV and will bring XBMC to be a unified Media Center for all needs. It's the only thing missing, i feel.
Along with the needed updates of course (eg. Audio engine, FFMPEG fixes etc.)

Loggio.
what can have happened then? How can pcm and 2ch sound suddenly be routed only through analog output? And why cant i adjust volume on ac3 or dts movies. They are output through spdif.
Anyone clever enough to guess what is wrong?
I wonder if it's possible to roll back? Also, surely other people are having this issue? Not having sound in any emulators and in a fair number of Youtube videos is kind of a bummer.
Weird. I rebooted recently and I got menu clicks back. However, sound in some Youtube videos and sound in emulators still doesn't work. In case it helps anyone, here is my .asoundrc file (note: I don't have an /etc/asound.conf)

pcm.dmixer {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
ipc_key_add_uid false
ipc_perm 0660
slave {
pcm "hw:1,3"
rate 48000
channels 2
period_time 0
period_size 1024
buffer_time 0
buffer_size 4096
}
}

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.!hdmi-remap {
type asym
playback.pcm {
type plug
slave.pcm "remap-surround71"
}
}

pcm.!remap-surround71 {
type route
slave.pcm "hw:1,3"
ttable {
0.0= 1
1.1= 1
2.4= 1
3.5= 1
4.2= 1
5.3= 1
6.6= 1
7.7= 1
}
}
No idea if it's relevant - and sorry to resurrect an old post if it isn't! - but I was hitting a no-sound-on-some-Youtube-videos problem. Turned out it was all videos with 22kHz sound (22050 to be precise), 44kHz worked fine as did every sound track on everything else I threw at the box. Acer Aspire Revo r3600, HDMI sound output.

Anyway, I simply added a "rate 48000" line to my ~/.asoundrc file in the appropriate place - and voilà...
Prof Yaffle Wrote:No idea if it's relevant - and sorry to resurrect an old post if it isn't! - but I was hitting a no-sound-on-some-Youtube-videos problem. Turned out it was all videos with 22kHz sound (22050 to be precise), 44kHz worked fine as did every sound track on everything else I threw at the box. Acer Aspire Revo r3600, HDMI sound output.

Anyway, I simply added a "rate 48000" line to my ~/.asoundrc file in the appropriate place - and voilà...

Hmmm, I have an Acer Revo 3700 and I too have problems with 22050Hz sound videos on youtube. However, my problem is not no sound, it's very high pitched audio. I also have the rate 48000 line in ~/.asoundrc file. Could you paste exactly what you have in your file please so I can compare ? I know mine is the 3700 but they may have the same or similar sound set up.

I'm running XBMC 10.1 Live btw, which are you running ?
I managed to fix my 22050hz sound problems on my Acer Aspire Revo 3700. I tried yet another .asoundrc which had a completely different setup than the ones I've previously tried. Now all sound no matter what hz it is, is resampled to 48khz. Not ideal but much better than high pitched sound in some youtube videos and a lot of streaming plugins such as liveonline footy Smile

If anyone else has a Revo 3700 with the same problem, let me know or drop me a PM and I'll send you a copy of my .asoundrc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No sound with: navigation clicks, fceu (and other emulation) and some youtube videos0