Virus Protection what do you use?
Question 
What is the best out there? paid and free?

I have tried McCafee witch came free with my ISP provider but I got BSOD with it.

I tried AVG and it's ok. I would like something more reliable.

Thank you. Shocked
Microsoft Security Essentials.

I used to use AVG but its gotten a little bloated.

MSE has a good reputation. Its lite weight, I never get false positives. I highly recommend it.

Also there is no substitution for smart internet behavior.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
Mse
cheers,

crazyivan
I use Avira, but I hate the damn nag screens.
Another vote for MSE.
clubwerks Wrote:I use Avira, but I hate the damn nag screens.

I have both Avira and MSE on my 2 pc and I'll probably remove Avira because of the upgrade pop-ups. Also, I would suggest Malwarebytes free version along with either Avira or MSE.
XBMC 10.1 + sabnzbd + couch potato + sickbeard + xbmc constellation = priceless
Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 for me
Linux
FishOil Wrote:Linux

I knew you would come along with that exact answerLaugh
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
On Microsoft Security Essentials do all the OS Updates have to be there? or it does not matter?

I am trying it now... it turned on my Automatic Updates.... I don't like that so I disabled the Automatic Updates.
FishOil Wrote:Linux

ignorance is bliss...

Linux reported vulnerabilities according to National Vulnerability Database, 2011 YTD = 212
of those 69 are the highest severity rating

all OSes have vulnerabilities, period. Windows has the highest # reported and fixes are published way faster too.

I went for many years without running anti virus on any of my home Windows machines. Did I get a virus... about once every 2 years. Did I lose any data... never. Did I ever need to reformat and start over... never.
I also did not click on spam links or allow 3rd party scripts to run.

Now I do. I run MSE because it is simple, low resources, and works very very well. I have also tried all the major AV apps for long periods of time and many are good but they all have quirks I hated to deal with, most are slow and bloated... do yourself a favor, use MSE and forget about it.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Livin Wrote:ignorance is bliss...

Linux reported vulnerabilities according to National Vulnerability Database, 2011 YTD = 212

And a Meteorite could smash your house today.

Both are VERY unlikely to happen.

But..........a windows machine? Good luck.
FishOil Wrote:And a Meteorite could smash your house today.

Both are VERY unlikely to happen.

But..........a windows machine? Good luck.

... go back to playing video games in your mom's basement and let the adults talk now.
Livin Wrote:... go back to playing video games in your mom's basement and let the adults talk now.

LOL

Ok Genius. Will do. LOL

Good come back, the basement in moms house. LOL I guess you can only speak from experience. OMG you're funny. High school internet funny.

Now you can go back to updating your emergency windows boot disk with the latest macafee, avg, norton..........etc virus definitions on an hourly basis.

That was a real knee slapper. Thanks!Rofl

BTW the 212 linux threats vs 50,000 windows. Genius.
FishOil Wrote:LOL

Ok Genius. Will do. LOL

Good come back, the basement in moms house. LOL I guess you can only speak from experience. OMG you're funny. High school internet funny.

Now you can go back to updating your emergency windows boot disk with the latest macafee, avg, norton..........etc virus definitions on an hourly basis.

That was a real knee slapper. Thanks!Rofl

... funniest part is your response proves my point.

FishOil Wrote:BTW the 212 linux threats vs 50,000 windows. Genius.

50k - not even close to accurate... you don't know the facts and are too lazy to research so you invent falsehoods. It is OK to be wrong, or not know something... just be mature enough to admit it and learn from it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Virus Protection what do you use?0