• 104(current)
Artwork Downloader
(2013-08-14, 20:03)wgstarks Wrote:
(2013-08-14, 19:53)CaptainKen Wrote: If memory serves me correctly, I do not get a progress window. I get one showing that it is searching and another when it is completed. There is usually a long gap between them, regardless of how many new media I have added. I think there is a setting something like quite mode.

I started a download last night. I'll check when I get home from work and see if any artwork has been downloaded for the most recent additions to the source. I'm sure 24 hours should be enough time for a download to complete if it's actually running.

Definitely done by then. My long gap is only 5min or less. Also when it completes, it gives the total number of images that it downloaded.
HTPC: Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF i7-7700 quad-core, 3.6GHz, 16GB
NAS: Synology DS1813+ and DX513, Hybrid RAID (SHR) 48TB usable space
My Media Center | www.CaptainKen.us | www.YouTube.com/KenInGilbert
Hi all

I have just installed xbmc 12 from xbmc 10.1 and i am using artwork downloader and i am having problems with it.

I have exported all my files inot there own folders with xbmc 10.1 and are as follows.

Folder name "movie"
.actors
extrathimbs
disc.png
folder.jpg
movie.tbn
movie.nfo
movie-fanart.jpg
Logo.png
Clearat.png

now that all works great for xbmc 10.1 and aeon nox

but when using xbmc 12.1 and add a movie i get the fanart and poster but i have to run artwork downloader to pick up the disc and logo images which is not to much of a problem as it gets the local artwrok from my drive.

the problem is when i come to export my video library as it adds even more pointless artwork to my folders like this

same as xbmc 10.1
Folder name "movie"
.actors
extrathimbs
disc.png
folder.jpg
movie.tbn
movie.nfo
movie-fanart.jpg
Logo.png
Clearat.png

but with artwork downloader and xbmc it also adds these to teh same folder

moive-discart.png
movie-clearlogo.png
mocvie-poster.png

also the pictures seem to be smaller in size to my original pictures.

so its basicly adding the same pictures i already have with different file names, why ? as its filling up my hard drives with unwanted duplicates of the same images with different filenames.

even if i leve the new files in the folder and delete disc.png, logo.png and movie.tbn when i re run artwork downloader it adds them same files back to the folder which is a pain.

whis is it doing this i would of thought you would not need all these duplicate pictures with different file names as xbmc 10.1 seems to work fine with the files i have been using for the past 2 years.

all these extra images of the same images are goign to fill my drives up.

can anyone help on this as i have alot of movies i need to do but dont want to save all these images to drive as i already have them sorted.

thanks
(2013-08-14, 17:20)wgstarks Wrote:
(2013-08-14, 16:50)exoscoriae Wrote: It should show a progress window, as it goes through each show/movie you currently have scanned in.

Then, after checking each show, it goes back and goes through all the ones it identified as missing artwork and downloads it. This process should like very similar to when you run it on one movie.

I'm not getting any kind of progress window. That's what mde me think there must be some kind of problem.

Go into settings for Artwork Downloader and untick "Run in background". Note that by doing this you can't do anything else in XBMC until the scan is completed.
(2013-08-14, 19:50)wgstarks Wrote: I'll try and set this up this weekend. I can say right now that I don't have any trouble downloading art for a single video except that I get the wrong language occasionally. I'll have to check the settings for "contain movies that matches folder names". All of my video names are in the format nameofmovie (year) videosource.ext (example: A Good Day to Die Hard (2013) bluray.mkv) in an enclosing folder with matching name. The only other file in each folder is an NFO file occasionally where xbmc had trouble iding the movie or special sorting or sets is involved. And an "Extras" subfolder that contains bonus features for a few Bluray backups. This probably applies to less than 10% of my collection.

Good evening wgstarks,

I believe your set-up and naming convention are perfectly fine, and you should keep it like that if no other than one movie and no subfolders with more movies are present within the main correctly named folder. You 'Extras' folder is perfectly fine and that would work OK with the add-on 'DVDextras' so you can play their content from within the Information pane by pressing 'Extras', if the add-on has been properly installed.

As I said, if artwork is being downloaded for a single movie (test) and you can manually trigger and select specific fanart and download it to your local movie folders with Artwork downloader from the Info pane, then things are working properly. The missing art could be due to the fact that perhaps there are no extra art for those titles. The delay could be because the library is too big and you haven't previously limited the amount of artwork to download.

Just some extra considerations
1) Make sure you have configured your artwork downloader to:
general: run in background
Limit artwork (very important for timing purposes): limit artwork, maximum extrafanart (5), preferred language (english)
advanced: use local files (NFOs and local fanart files are present)
2) The TMDB Settings:
enable fanart, preferred language 'en', preferred country of verf. 'us'

Best,

CF
(2013-08-14, 22:53)meridius Wrote: so its basicly adding the same pictures i already have with different file names, why ? as its filling up my hard drives with unwanted duplicates of the same images with different filenames.
When you ask XBMC to export the video library it now will do so using one, and only one naming convention which is <movie>-type of fanart.extension e.g., The Life of Oharu (1982)-poster.jpg. The reason being is that this naming pattern will work for all users regardless of the type of library structure they are using: single movies each in their own named folder, or multiple movies all in the source folder, or mixed.

(2013-08-14, 22:53)meridius Wrote: even if i leve the new files in the folder and delete disc.png, logo.png and movie.tbn when i re run artwork downloader it adds them same files back to the folder which is a pain.
Every time you ask AD to 'download' artwork and have specified under its configuration pane what type of artwork you want it to retrieve, it needs to put the found art somewhere, right?, and that would be your movie folder. You can't skip this part, otherwise no extra artwork would be in place. If you have asked to retrieve backdrops and posters, you have done that with TMDB scraper and exported your library already, then you are just somehow duplicating the process, because Artwork downloader will use the simple naming convention as in poster.jpg which to me is somehow inconsistent to a seamless integrated experience between AD and XBMC library export, and I believe you would agree with me here. However, Artwork downloader can retrieve extra art that TMDB does not, such as discart, clear logos, etc. You can ask AD not to download certain type of files that TMDB scrapper has taken care of and will continue taking care of, for instance.

(2013-08-14, 22:53)meridius Wrote: whis is it doing this i would of thought you would not need all these duplicate pictures with different file names as xbmc 10.1 seems to work fine with the files i have been using for the past 2 years.

all these extra images of the same images are going to fill my drives up.
Should you not want these type of files to be exported to your movie folder then select 'No' when asked 'Do you want to export thumbnails and fan art?' and do the same for Actors thumbs. This will end up exporting only your NFO file. If you want to export them then ask to overwrite the pre-existent ones, but again, if your previous files are named only as disc.png or poster,jpg, those won't get overwritten because the naming pattern the 'export' function uses is different as explained above.

(2013-08-14, 22:53)meridius Wrote: can anyone help on this as i have alot of movies i need to do but dont want to save all these images to drive as i already have them sorted.

thanks

I hope I have been of some help in understanding what is going on and why.

Should you have any further questions just post it here for all of us to see and try to help.

Best,

CF
(2013-08-14, 22:58)capfuturo Wrote: 2) The MTB Settings:

Best,

CF

What is MTB?
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
(2013-08-15, 03:22)wgstarks Wrote:
(2013-08-14, 22:58)capfuturo Wrote: 2) The MTB Settings:

Best,

CF

What is MTB?

Sorry that was a typo, I meant the TMDB (themoviedb.org) scraper for XBMC. Best, CF
Thanks for the help.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
(2013-08-14, 23:50)capfuturo Wrote:
(2013-08-14, 22:53)meridius Wrote: so its basicly adding the same pictures i already have with different file names, why ? as its filling up my hard drives with unwanted duplicates of the same images with different filenames.
When you ask XBMC to export the video library it now will do so using one, and only one naming convention which is <movie>-type of fanart.extension e.g., The Life of Oharu (1982)-poster.jpg. The reason being is that this naming pattern will work for all users regardless of the type of library structure they are using: single movies each in their own named folder, or multiple movies all in the source folder, or mixed.

(2013-08-14, 22:53)meridius Wrote: even if i leve the new files in the folder and delete disc.png, logo.png and movie.tbn when i re run artwork downloader it adds them same files back to the folder which is a pain.
Every time you ask AD to 'download' artwork and have specified under its configuration pane what type of artwork you want it to retrieve, it needs to put the found art somewhere, right?, and that would be your movie folder. You can't skip this part, otherwise no extra artwork would be in place. If you have asked to retrieve backdrops and posters, you have done that with TMDB scraper and exported your library already, then you are just somehow duplicating the process, because Artwork downloader will use the simple naming convention as in poster.jpg which to me is somehow inconsistent to a seamless integrated experience between AD and XBMC library export, and I believe you would agree with me here. However, Artwork downloader can retrieve extra art that TMDB does not, such as discart, clear logos, etc. You can ask AD not to download certain type of files that TMDB scrapper has taken care of and will continue taking care of, for instance.

(2013-08-14, 22:53)meridius Wrote: whis is it doing this i would of thought you would not need all these duplicate pictures with different file names as xbmc 10.1 seems to work fine with the files i have been using for the past 2 years.

all these extra images of the same images are going to fill my drives up.
Should you not want these type of files to be exported to your movie folder then select 'No' when asked 'Do you want to export thumbnails and fan art?' and do the same for Actors thumbs. This will end up exporting only your NFO file. If you want to export them then ask to overwrite the pre-existent ones, but again, if your previous files are named only as disc.png or poster,jpg, those won't get overwritten because the naming pattern the 'export' function uses is different as explained above.

(2013-08-14, 22:53)meridius Wrote: can anyone help on this as i have alot of movies i need to do but dont want to save all these images to drive as i already have them sorted.

thanks

I hope I have been of some help in understanding what is going on and why.

Should you have any further questions just post it here for all of us to see and try to help.

Best,

CF

thanks

but i can not figure out why artwork downloader can not load in

local saved image called
moviename (1962) (1080p Blu-ray)-(DTS-HD MA 5.1)-discart

why does it need to look for disc.png ? as when you export a library xbmc will save the disc.png as Moviename (1962) (1080p Blu-ray)-(DTS-HD MA 5.1)-discart

what i am saying is why does artwork downloader not look for these first then if it can not find Moviename (1962) (1080p Blu-ray)-(DTS-HD MA 5.1)-discart it falls back onto disc.png ?

as you always will need to versions of the same picture as artwork downloader will look for

disc.png
clearart.png
logo.png

and inport them from the local drive to xbmc but then when you export a library xbmc will save them as

Moviename (1962) (1080p Blu-ray)-(DTS-HD MA 5.1)-discart
Moviename (1962) (1080p Blu-ray)-(DTS-HD MA 5.1)-clearlogo
Moviename (1962) (1080p Blu-ray)-(DTS-HD MA 5.1)-clearart

so now you have two versions of the same picture. why can artwork downloader not use the same file format as xbmc local so when you do export the library it will not need to save them as there already there.

i need to use export library and pictures as this is what i use to export all my thumbs and pictures for my tv shows so i have no option not to use that.

i just think artwork downloader should try and find

first and if that fails should then check for

disc.png
clearart.png
logo.png

i hope you understand what i mean

cheers
(2013-08-14, 22:01)CaptainKen Wrote:
(2013-08-14, 20:03)wgstarks Wrote:
(2013-08-14, 19:53)CaptainKen Wrote: If memory serves me correctly, I do not get a progress window. I get one showing that it is searching and another when it is completed. There is usually a long gap between them, regardless of how many new media I have added. I think there is a setting something like quite mode.

I started a download last night. I'll check when I get home from work and see if any artwork has been downloaded for the most recent additions to the source. I'm sure 24 hours should be enough time for a download to complete if it's actually running.

Definitely done by then. My long gap is only 5min or less. Also when it completes, it gives the total number of images that it downloaded.

Timed it after adding 3 episodes last night and it took 10min. Oddly it claimed that it downloaded 31 artwork, but no idea how that many could have been effected for only 3 episodes.
HTPC: Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF i7-7700 quad-core, 3.6GHz, 16GB
NAS: Synology DS1813+ and DX513, Hybrid RAID (SHR) 48TB usable space
My Media Center | www.CaptainKen.us | www.YouTube.com/KenInGilbert
(2013-08-15, 20:59)CaptainKen Wrote: Timed it after adding 3 episodes last night and it took 10min. Oddly it claimed that it downloaded 31 artwork, but no idea how that many could have been effected for only 3 episodes.

Thanks. I'm hoping that I'll have some time to get back to work on this over the weekend. Weather man says rain all day Sat. & Sun. What a shame. Won't be able to mow the grass.Big GrinBig Grin

I'm hoping that the art is actually downloading and I just haven't been waiting long enough for the process to complete.
(2013-08-15, 20:51)meridius Wrote: thanks

but i can not figure out why artwork downloader can not load in

local saved image called
moviename (1962) (1080p Blu-ray)-(DTS-HD MA 5.1)-discart

why does it need to look for disc.png ? as when you export a library xbmc will save the disc.png as Moviename (1962) (1080p Blu-ray)-(DTS-HD MA 5.1)-discart

what i am saying is why does artwork downloader not look for these first then if it can not find Moviename (1962) (1080p Blu-ray)-(DTS-HD MA 5.1)-discart it falls back onto disc.png ?

as you always will need to versions of the same picture as artwork downloader will look for

disc.png
clearart.png
logo.png

and inport them from the local drive to xbmc but then when you export a library xbmc will save them as

so now you have two versions of the same picture. why can artwork downloader not use the same file format as xbmc local so when you do export the library it will not need to save them as there already there.

i need to use export library and pictures as this is what i use to export all my thumbs and pictures for my tv shows so i have no option not to use that.

i just think artwork downloader should try and find

first and if that fails should then check for

disc.png
clearart.png
logo.png

i hope you understand what i mean

cheers

Good night meridius,

I totally understand what you are saying and agree. Since I am neither responsible for this add-on nor I understand why the design works as it currently does with regards to naming convention, I hope its developer sees your post and offers you a proper explanation and/or a way to work around the difficulty you have explained.

I personally use a 3rd party app as a media manager which takes care of placing a NFO for each movie and downloading and renaming extra art according to whatever I need in XBMC fast and easy, which avoid the build-up of duplicate files (in term of their functionality) within the folders. I found it is better for me, so I don't have to deal with all this lack of reciprocity between the naming convention of the library export and artwork downloader, and all this trial and error, and all this experimentation which is incredibly time consuming.

Best,

CF
(2013-08-15, 21:42)wgstarks Wrote:
(2013-08-15, 20:59)CaptainKen Wrote: Timed it after adding 3 episodes last night and it took 10min. Oddly it claimed that it downloaded 31 artwork, but no idea how that many could have been effected for only 3 episodes.

Thanks. I'm hoping that I'll have some time to get back to work on this over the weekend. Weather man says rain all day Sat. & Sun. What a shame. Won't be able to mow the grass.Big GrinBig Grin

I'm hoping that the art is actually downloading and I just haven't been waiting long enough for the process to complete.

It appears that art work is being downloaded. All the videos that I added to the source on my last library update now have artwork. All the downloading is occurring in the background however. No progress window is being displayed. The download in the background option is disabled, I checked it again to make sure and even shutdown and re-launched xbmc just to be sure that the configuration was set. Since I'm getting my art this isn't really a major concern, but the improper behavior still bothers me.

Edit- after working with this for a bit (twisting knobs and pushing buttons Big Grin) I realize that maybe the problem is me. I have been initiating the download with the "Get Artwork" button in the quick nav window. If I actually navigate to the addon and launch it the behavior is just what it should be. Downloading in the fore ground with a progress bar. Perhaps the quick nav button is actually launching a different addon? Looks like everything is working as it should though. Thanks to everyone for your help. Does the downloader get artwork for every movie in my library every time it is launched?
(2013-08-16, 03:12)wgstarks Wrote: Edit- after working with this for a bit (twisting knobs and pushing buttons Big Grin) I realize that maybe the problem is me. I have been initiating the download with the "Get Artwork" button in the quick nav window. If I actually navigate to the addon and launch it the behavior is just what it should be. Downloading in the fore ground with a progress bar. Perhaps the quick nav button is actually launching a different addon? Looks like everything is working as it should though. Thanks to everyone for your help. Does the downloader get artwork for every movie in my library every time it is launched?

Artwork Downloader can be launched in several ways, if a skin creator has enabled them. You were launchign AD by one of the other methods, that does it in the background.
AD by default does look for artwork for every movie each time you launch it, but doesn't redownload art it already has. There is a way to get art just for the currnetly selected movie, but the skin needs to have support for it. Not all do.
Thanks capfuturo

I just hope a dev reads it as supporting the same file structure of xbmc 12 would be alot easier and better. What do u use to scrape your movies and tv shows ? As I have use emm but dies not support alot if the new images.
  • 104(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Artwork Downloader18