• 39(current)
[RELEASE] Official XBMC boblight Addon
(2012-11-22, 23:49)dasmith83 Wrote: Hi guys,

Apologies if the answer is in this thread somewhere and I've missed it, however can someone confirm the below for me please.

I currently have a PC running a fully functional Amblone setup using an arduino board and a video feed from my BD player via a USB to composite adapter and view it on the PC via VLC player.

When attempting to play videos with XBMC Eden, and running the Amblone software as above, I'm finding that even turning hardware acceleration off, doesn't allow the Amblone software, to detect the video in order to output the appropriate colours.

I've stumbled across this thread, and although the boblight addon seems to provide similar end results, I'm extremely confused at what I need to do in order to get my Amblone hardware working.

So to re-cap, I'm running Amblone hardware (ardiuno mega), Win7 32 bit and XBMC Eden....can someone confirm what I need to install or edit in order to acheive the end result we're all after please?

Thanks in advance and apologies once again if I've asked a question that's been covered, however from what I've read, I need to run a Linux server with a boblight deamon in order for this addon to work?

Can anyone help me at all please?

What's the basic steps required in order to get an Amblone hardware solution working using XBMC running on Windows 7?
I was able to get the Boblight add on to work with XBMC. I am using the ARFX boblight server created by RapWare. I created two zone (right and left). Things seem to work when watching 2D movies but when watching 3D movies the LED light flash. I had to turn it off. Any way to eliminate the flashing.

Here is the hardware I used to make my boblight setup for XBMC:

all ordered from DX.com for $58.

12MM RGB Bare Point Source Red/Green/Blue 50-LED String light

Arduino Compatible UNO Rev3 Development Board

5V 3A Wall Power Adapter for Scanner / Router + More (US Plug / 5.5 x 2.1mm)

Male + Female DC Power Converter Connector Adapters w/ Terminal Blocks For CCTV Camera (Pair)

The LEDs are LPD6803. cheap and works great.

Hi Specterx.

I ordered same hardware from DX.com. But I am with difficult to configuration boblight in windows.

Can You put, or send to me, your config files ?

Thx.
Hey all,
Ive begun looking into making a boblight-setup for my xbmc powered tv and I have a question to which I cant seem to find an answer. I plan on using a WS2801 led strip and judging by the dimensions of my tv Im going to need about 150 leds (150 led's = 150 channels right?) and I need a controller that can handle this many. I found this quote from adafruit (although I can find the quote on the adafruit website)

Quote:It’s serial bandwidth that becomes the limiting factor. Typical boards like the Uno or the Duemilanove used here should be able to stream up to 50 or mmmaybe 100 pixels at decent, video-like frame rates.Bigger projects will require the ATmega32u4 Breakout Board or Teensy, with their fast native USB interfaces. On those boards, the code should be able to stream upwards of 1,200 LEDs at 30 frames per second.

From googling I cant seem to find an answer on whether either of the two mentioned will work with boblight with minimal fuss? Id prefer to get something that is well supported with xbmc. And is there anything out there that is simpler/easier/better than the two from the quote?

Thanks in advance! Really looking forward to watching Tron legacy with boblight! Big Grin

PS, where do you guys mount your leds? Behind the tv or on the edge? Ive seen talk of both ways and curious to what others have done.

EDIT: Ok upon further reading it seems like the adafruit website recommends not to use a leonardo board as this has issues which from a search on ebay seems to rule out the ATmega32u4. Is the Arduino Uno r3 capable of controlling 150 ws2802 leds?
150 leds * RGB is 450 channels. Are you serious that this many channels will be needed? I run 12 channels (4 stripes a 30 leds) and it already looks nice enough.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Use two boards Smile
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2012-11-28, 14:02)Memphiz Wrote: 150 leds * RGB is 450 channels. Are you serious that this many channels will be needed? I run 12 channels (4 stripes a 30 leds) and it already looks nice enough.

I was going to go this route as it seemed to be the simplest option with less wiring and a cleaner setup, but now I may need to rethink my setup. Do you think 4 strips would be enough for a 60" TV (approx 4.2m outside edge)?

(2012-11-28, 18:07)Martijn Wrote: Use two boards Smile

That sounds complex Smile Is this do-able?

How well does the teensy board work with xbmc+ boblight? From the quote on the openelec forums it seems like that would have enough oomph to control 450 channels...

Thanks for the input guys!
Well its up to you - just telling you that the number of channels is calculated by "number of leds * 3".

For a 60inch TV i would go with 8 (4 on top - 2 on each side) or maybe 16 (8 on top, 4 on each side) stripes. Just because wiring gets a bit simpler. You want to wire with 450 cables to the board (or i got something wrong...)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2012-11-29, 12:48)Memphiz Wrote: Well its up to you - just telling you that the number of channels is calculated by "number of leds * 3".

For a 60inch TV i would go with 8 (4 on top - 2 on each side) or maybe 16 (8 on top, 4 on each side) stripes. Just because wiring gets a bit simpler. You want to wire with 450 cables to the board (or i got something wrong...)

Well he will probably use ws2801 ic based leds so only four wires will be needed. For 60 inch i would go with 75 to 100. If more then 100 channels faster microcontroller will be needed.
Yeah Im looking at using a WS2801 led strip. Ive ordererd a Teensy 2 board which should be able to handle 150 leds, but I doubt Ill need that many, Ive just rounded everything up. If its too many channels for the teensy I can cut the strip and space out the led so theres less channels. I wonder if its possible to group led's into single channels? Say like 2 leds per channel..
Only Windows users.
The best for Windows.
Supported devices:
1. Lightpack
2. Paintpack 2.0
3. Paintpack DMX
4. Adalight
Server IR 2.0.9 Ambilight Edition, all the details HERE
(2012-11-30, 14:06)demmax2004 Wrote: Only Windows users.
The best for Windows.
Supported devices:
1. Lightpack
2. Paintpack 2.0
3. Paintpack DMX
4. Adalight
Server IR 2.0.9 Ambilight Edition, all the details HERE

I'll give it a try but if it XBMC needs to deactivate "Use True Fullscreen", which causes screen tearing, I'll stick to boblight. Works like a charm atm.

[EDIT] Don't like it. It isn't user friendly and you need an additional program, which is not free.
(2012-11-30, 01:42)teeedubb Wrote: Yeah Im looking at using a WS2801 led strip. Ive ordererd a Teensy 2 board which should be able to handle 150 leds, but I doubt Ill need that many, Ive just rounded everything up. If its too many channels for the teensy I can cut the strip and space out the led so theres less channels. I wonder if its possible to group led's into single channels? Say like 2 leds per channel..

you can configure the two leds to sample the same position, so they will have the same colour. But i do not see the point of doing this.
Setup:
HTPC XBMCbuntu (Eden)
Boblight server on a RaspberryPi with a custom SPI device.

Issue:
A while after the XBMC Service connects to the Boblight server the LEDs flash blue every now and then(once or twice per minute) after a few minutes. It is just one frame and then it goes back to normal. Even in the XBMC menu where the LEDs normaly are yellow.
If the XBMC boblight plugin is disabled the LEDs go black with no errors.
If i restart the plugin it works normal for a few minutes and then the random flashes are back.

Any ideas? Tomorrow i will log the network data and look if there is something interesting.

Thanks

Edit: sorry for my bad english^^
  • 39(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Official XBMC boblight Addon3