• 5(current)
[RELEASE] Official XBMC boblight Addon
I have now seen a few movies with Philips AMBX set. Here are my experiences on the ATV1;

- 1080p h.264 (MKV, x264) works most of the time but sometimes drops frames. My bet would be the added CPU cycles from boblight addon, boblightd, combustd and ruby.
- Colors of the lights are not accurate and needs calibration.
- Update speed is lagging some, which is noticeable sometimes. I'm afraid to touch this as it might cause more dropped frames.

I wonder what it would take to remove combustd and ruby from the equation...

Wikking, if you are still having problems, let me know. I will try to cook up a guide revolving the new addon and AMBX.
bobo1on1 Wrote:Ehm no, you still need to have libboblight on your system and a running boblightd somewhere.

Sure, but all you need to do on Live is download the source, compile & install. Also get libboblight. Then run the addon and were done right?

Or am i missing a step?
Well sure, then it should work.
Can this script be updated to look for libboblight.so in a custom path?

I run openelec, and /usr/lib is mounted read only, if I could manually specify a path for libboblight.so, I could keep boblightd and libboblight.so in the user data area.
Sure, but it's a lot easier to just set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable on your system before starting XBMC, or is that in a read only section too?
Otherwise, just look for libboblight.so in the addon code, and add a path before it.
bobo1on1 Wrote:Sure, but it's a lot easier to just set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable on your system before starting XBMC, or is that in a read only section too?
Otherwise, just look for libboblight.so in the addon code, and add a path before it.

This is read only as well, unfortunately.

I was hoping for a more "official" change, than me hacking the code for my own installation. Smile

I'm working on getting boblight added as an official package in Openelec, but in the mean time allowing users to run everything from the data area would be a good work around. If I can get the Openelec maintainers to accept my fork, this may not be needed.
then i'll wait until this exactly will happen *whistles*
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:then i'll wait until this exactly will happen *whistles*

I've submitted a pull request.

Boblight won't be accepted into the "main" os, but it will work as an addon. I've created an addon that should be accepted into the build and works with the modifications I made to this script.
@bleze
I'm still unable to get the AMBX-device working with boblight-SVN. It would be so kind of you if you could cook up a guide to getting this thing to work properly!

@Adam B.
As you have already posted your addon in the openelec-forums, do you think you could also support the AMBX-device?
Wikking Wrote:@Adam B.
As you have already posted your addon in the openelec-forums, do you think you could also support the AMBX-device?

I don't have an ambx device, so I'm not exactly sure what's needed to get it working.
Adam B. Wrote:I don't have an ambx device, so I'm not exactly sure what's needed to get it working.

Well usually one (additionally) has to install CombustD and Ruby-usb to get the AMBX-device working under linux / XBMC. There are several guides out there but they are only working for the non-svn-version of boblight (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=71912).
There are ways of getting it to work with the SVN-version of boblight...I hope bleze can shed some light on this!
Once properly configured the AMBX-device just acts like any other ambilight. Hope this helps and I also hope that you can integrate this into your addon!
Could you post your boblight.conf please.
wikking, I basically followed cervix's guide from here: http://stmlabs.com/forum/topic/tutorial-...d-2/page/2

This got combustd and ruby installed. Instead of the old boblight I built SVN version as shown in this thread.

Memphiz helped me configure and setup boblight to start correctly. Here is my boblight.conf file: http://pastebin.com/AqFPpzbM

He also inserted '#!/usr/bin/ruby' at the top of the boblight.rb file.

Like I've written before, the colors lag and are off. If someone optimizes this and fixes the colors, please post boblight.conf for AMBX. Also I have dropped frames probably due to overloaded CPU in ATV1 (I have broadcom chip of course)
Memphiz Wrote:then i'll wait until this exactly will happen *whistles*

Memphiz, this has been accepted into the Openelec repositories and is available for users.

Can you merge my pull request for this script and push to the official XBMC repo? Right now users have to manually download my version or use boblight-X11 for it to work.
I'm having trouble building libboblight.so

After:

Code:
make && sudo make install

I get:

Code:
ar: libboblight_la-boblight-client.o: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [libboblight.la] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/xbmc/boblight/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/xbmc/boblight'
make: *** [all] Error 2