• 17(current)
Remote Controllers for XBMC
Guys I've really done my homework regarding these remotes. Still need a bit of help.

I've looked at Flirc, Pulse8 CEC, universal IR only remotes and universal IR/RF keyboard remotes. And I've decided that Flirc isn't needed as all my devices already have IR, CEC won't do because I want to control four devices with one remote (NUC, radio, TV and DVD player), universal IR/RF keyboard remotes are out because they are battery hogs and I don't need another device that needs to be recharged every few days.

So it comes down to IR only universal remotes. And I have it narrowed down to three:

Harmony 350 for 48 euros
Harmony 650 for 72 euros
One For All URC 7962 for 32 euros

The One For All URC 7962 has a lot of features that the cheaper Harmony 350 doesn't have. Motion control for instance. But the Harmony has what seems to be a more ergonomic shape also Harmony remotes tend to be well made. But it's more expensive. The 650 probably blows both out of the water when it comes to number of features but it's probably out of my price range. Would only really consider it if someone here gives it a stellar review.

Any idea what I should pick between the 350 and one for all?
Another big PLUS for the harmonies is the programming via software. One can assign any function to any button.

Lets say you are watching a movie with your NUC player and you want to assign volume buttons to increase - decrease volume of your amplifier ...
I could not wait any longer son ordered the one for all. My father is using a Harmony remote for nothing but his TV (it lent it to him because his original LG remote died and I had no need for a universal remote at that time). It's a Harmony One with a colour screen. A better remote than the 350 I believe. If the one for all does not suit my needs I can always swap with my father for that Harmony.
(2015-08-27, 13:43)Suljo Wrote: I could not wait any longer son ordered the one for all. My father is using a Harmony remote for nothing but his TV (it lent it to him because his original LG remote died and I had no need for a universal remote at that time). It's a Harmony One with a colour screen. A better remote than the 350 I believe. If the one for all does not suit my needs I can always swap with my father for that Harmony.

um yeah, def swap. The original Harmony One is one of their best models, and none of their current lineup is quite as good IMO.
Well, I did. After a few days with the One for all.. It's a good device. Handled all my devices. But the switching between activities was cumbersome. So now I'm using the One remote. Have everything set up, Harmony software offers a million options. Kinda missing the colour buttons on the remote though. One for all was more button rich.
Anyone can provide me with how to get my directv remote to work with my chromebox with openelec/kodi installed? Ive tried googling it and cant find anything. Thank you in advance.
(2015-11-09, 06:01)punksterz626 Wrote: Anyone can provide me with how to get my directv remote to work with my chromebox with openelec/kodi installed? Ive tried googling it and cant find anything. Thank you in advance.

google the model # and MCE. If it supports a microsoft MCE profile that's all your need
(2015-08-27, 13:43)Suljo Wrote: The original Harmony One is one of their best models, and none of their current lineup is quite as good IMO.

Somewhat true and somewhat false... My Harmony One was replaced by a Harmony Smart Control because no need for line-of-sight is awesome. Also, bluetooth pairing. Also, no need to recharge.

I do admit I liked the layout of the One better, and I miss the backlit keys tremendously. But I understand the trade-off and am very happy with the Smart Control.
Just by way of a suggestion, many Smartphone based remotes are also very easy to use, some more so than others with varying degrees of sophisticaiton. For example, Touchsquid for Android will interoperate with Kodi because it supports IP and IR communications and keymaps.
  • 17(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remote Controllers for XBMC1