• 1(current)
Remote Controllers for XBMC
** work in progress **

Ok, i decided to take the plunge here and created this XBMC remote thread...
As you know, there's alot of remotes on the market that can be used to control XBMC..

So my goal here is not to list them all,
and in fact, there's a nice wiki Here for that so,
i strongly suggest you check it out too!

Now, I'm simply trying to do this my way
and list 'easy to use/setup' remote controllers for XBMC.

And by the way,
being a Windows 7 user,
all the solutions described in this thread will of course,
be compatible with windows 7...

Some will work under Linux/Mac but maybe not as 'out of the box' as you'd like so,
i suggest you do some research on your side before buying anything.

that being said, in no particular order, let's begin!!

(see next post plz)

Smile
[1] Motorolla Nyxboard (~64$)
Yepp, the very first dual-sided controller designed specifically for XBMC!
It truly works out of the box!
No driver install nor special software needed!
It's Plug & play!
The remote communicates with your HTPC using its USB RF Receiver
but can also act as a universal remote control thanks to its built-in programmable IR!
As of today, this remote will run on Windows, Mac, AppleTV (First gen) and Linux.

[2] any PS3 Blu-ray Remote 2.0 (~18$) + any USB Bluetooth Receiver (~12$)

Image Image
Ok, in order to have this working with your windows HTPC is fairly simple.
Once the PS3 remote is paired with the USB Bluetooth Receiver,
all is left is to do is install this free PS3BluMote app for windows.
The beauty of it is that it'll make your remote emulate keyboard key presses!
And it's %100 customizable!
For example, you can decide that your PS3's STOP button
will emulate like if you would press the 'X' key on your keyboard!
Can also act as a universal remote control thanks to its built-in IR!
Linux users can visit this thread here for more infos.
Not aware of this working under MAC though.

[3] MediaGate GP-IR02BK (~30$)
To be short, any Windows Media Center (MCE) / RC6 remotes
should register as a Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver
under "Human Interface Devices" in windows device manager.
Basically, this means setting it up for XBMC will be a piece of cake!
This is how:
* make sure your remote is registered as a "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver"
* if your a EventGhost user, make sure Disable HID service for this remote is Unchecked
* in XBMC's settings, make sure to enable "Remote Control Sends Keyboard Presses"
* Make sure your using Windows 7
A) Install this Setup File (select x86 or x64 when asked)
B) Install AutoHotkey so that the GSB script works properly (select x86 or x64 when asked)
C) Enjoy!
For more info about this procedure, click Here.
Also note, this MediaGate GP-IR02BK is known to work with Linux.
But on the other hand, not aware of it working under MAC.

[4] any Logitech Harmony Remote (~$30 to ~$350) + any Windows Media Center (MCE) / RC6 USB IR Receiver (~$14)
Image Image
This combination works beautifully!
Using the Harmony software, simply add as device a "Microsoft MCE Keyboard" and,
Once you do that, mapping the buttons couldn't be easier!
Just decide which button emulates which keyboard key press!
For example, you can decide that your Harmony's PAUSE button
should emulate like if you would press the 'SPACEBAR' key on your keyboard!
For Linux users, you need to make sure your MCE/RC6 USB IR Receiver is compatible.
For instance, we can confirm the HP 5188-1667 & Phillips OVU412000 receivers work under Linux!
As for MAC's, well, let me just link you to this thread Here & this website Here.
[5] any Logitech Harmony Remote (~$30 to ~$350) + FLIRC's USB IR Receiver (~$25)
Image Image

This combination also works beautifully and is really easy to setup too!
To prepare your Harmony Remote before Mapping it with FLIRC's software,
Just follow my own instructions Here.
Once done, using FLIRC's software, you can decide example that your Harmony's INFO button
should emulate like if you would press the 'I' key on your keyboard.
And as of today, this will work under Windows, Mac, and Linux!

[6] Official XBMC Remote for Android (Free)
Turn any Android enabled Phone/Tablet into a fully featured XBMC controller!
How does it work? well, got WiFi at home?
If so, then, your ready to go!
Here's a quick video on how to set it up!
Using this app alongside an Harmony Link or iRule device would rock!

[7] XBMC Constellation for iOS (~$4)
Kinda like the Android app, works via WiFi
and it'll turn any iOS enabled iPhone/iPad into a fully featured XBMC controller!
Here's a quick video on how to set it up!
Using this app alongside an Harmony Link or iRule device would rock!

[8] Inteset’s INT-106 (~28$)
This remote not only has Backlit,
but also come's with inteset's Custom CIR Receiver.
These CIR receivers are compatible with INTEL CIR enabled motherboards.
The Inteset INT-106 remote registers as a Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver
under "Human Interface Devices" in windows device manager.
Meaning, setting it up for XBMC is a piece of cake!
This is how:
* make sure your remote is registered as a "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver"
* if your a EventGhost user, make sure Disable HID service for this remote is Unchecked
* in XBMC's settings, make sure to enable "Remote Control Sends Keyboard Presses"
* Make sure your using Windows 7
A) Install this Setup File (select x86 or x64 when asked)
B) Install AutoHotkey so that the GSB script works properly (select x86 or x64 when asked)
C) Enjoy!
For more info about this procedure, click Here.
Also note, this remote and cir receiver probably works under Linux.
But for MAC, forget about it.
** place holder **
I brought one of the HP IR receivers several days ago and received the unit today. The seller told me that the model # was 5188-1667 but when I received it yesterday, the model number was 5187-4056. I specifically was looking to purchase the 5188-1667 based on reading this forum. Is there really a different between the two models? According to the device manager on my PC, the 5187-4056 unit is a "e-Home Infrared Receiver (USBCIR). It seems to be working OK (not perfect) with my Harmony 880 remote. Please advise if I need to purchase the 5188-1667 model.
under windows, it wont matter pglover19...
any model will do...
Linux is more tricky, thats why we suggest what we know works.
but other models could work too under Linux.
its not like they've been all tested.
Generic PC Remote listed in Wiki as #2.3. Than can easily be bought on e-bay or Chinese online shops like Dealextreme for ~$10 and even less.
Despite its cheap price and dubious origin it works with Windows 7 out of the box and works quite well. It is recognized as a HID-device and in fact emulates a multimedia keyboard and a mouse, sending key combinations. All keys, except 4 colored ones, perform their designated functions.
The Power button can be set up in Control Panel - Power options. It can even turn on a PC from the shutdown state if your MoBo supports this function (mine does).
As for 4 colored keys, AFAIU they were left as "prorammable" ones without specific functions and you can assign to them any function you like. See Wiki for more details about setting up 4 colored keys in XBMC.
Small hint: a USB IR-receiver in fact has 2 sensors - 1 on front and 1 on top. It works better if the front sensor looks forward and the top sensor looks up thus receiving even reflected IR signals from walls and furniture.
I'm gonna throw in a beauty - a cheap Android tablet with the XBMC Android app. Control everything from anywhere in your WiFi range, see your thumbs and movie/music info, make playlists, pause/play, keyboard entry, many features!

No tactile feel like a true remote and maybe bulky but does soooo much more.

Great work by Freezy - it's a killer app.Cool
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
I'll just pitch in that the HippoRemote app for iPhone/iPad works very well for my setup. You can install it as a service on windows based pc's and is pretty reliable. It has presets for XBMC, MPC-HC, etc with custom buttons and actions- you can also make custom macros if you want. Highly recommended for folks who already have iOS devices and don't want to spend the money on an actual remote.
Not exactly a remote but a wireless mini-keyboard. ($32.00)
I use it as a complementary to the abovementioned IR remote to perform more advanced operations in Win 7 on my HTPC but it can be used as a replacement to IR remote. The only drawback is that you cannot use universal programmable/learning IR remotes (like Logitech Harmony) with it.
i already had plans for Android and iOS Tongue
you guys went too fast Tongue
Roman_V_M Wrote:Not exactly a remote but a wireless mini-keyboard. ($32.00).

wrong thread for keyboards Tongue
i had 2 of those and none of them have been reliable...
i strongly avoid...
eskro Wrote:[1] Motorolla Nyxboard (~64$)
Yepp, the very first dual-sided controller designed specifically for XBMC!
It truly works out of the box!
No driver install nor special software needed!
It's Plug & play!
The remote communicates with your HTPC using its USB RF Receiver
but can also act as a universal remote control thanks to its built-in programmable IR!
As of today, this remote will run on Windows, Mac, AppleTV (First gen) and Linux.

!!! WANT !!!

Anyone have it / Opinions ? Out of stock in the UK till the New Year :mad:
Has someone get a Philips Prestigo working?

I have SRT8215/10 and I can't get it to work under Linux (my living room XBMC Live) and under Windows (working room).

I bought this IRC6 receiver:
http://www.cohaus-berlin.de/shop/RC6-Inf...6Q::1.html

Under Windows 7 it registers as a Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver.

But there is no MCE Keyboard profile in the Prestigo program and when I select "Computer, Media Center -> Microsoft" it asks for a remote control from which it can copy the information. I don't have an other remote where I could copy the information.

In other threads some user said that there have managed to get the Prestigo working but not how they did it. I would need this information rather quick because when I can't get the Prestigo working (I like the design more then the design of a Harmony) then I have to sent it back to Amazon and get a Harmony. It is more important that the remote control works but it would be a super X-mas gift when design and functionality meets. :-)

Thanks for you help in advance.
MediaGate GP-IR02BK does work as described. Simple to use .... has all the buttons... WAF.... all I need to surf XBMC.... all buttons work even the number pad (gets you quick to what you want to watch like the letter "P" will get you to Pulp Fiction quick.... .....
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remote Controllers for XBMC1