• 2(current)
WIP 1080LF (Linear)
Baswazz Wrote:...I think it is hard to read on smaller LCD's from the couch.

I tested it out on a 32" and 42" screen - they are both easy to read from about 3 metres away Smile

Baswazz Wrote:Can you make the info screen/video options background a little grey'er like system main.

I made those parts transparent as I felt it was a better fit (the background is the currently playing video), but I will make a mockup for that and post it back.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
Would any skinners be kind enough to help me get started with the skin, give some pointers etc? I have picked apart the Dharma foundation skin but still got stuk. I have also looked over the wiki.

Just ask away here and we'll gladly help out.
Hitcher Wrote:Just ask away here and we'll gladly help out.

Well I don't really have XML skills but I have played around a bit with the Foundation skin - I managed to get the menu moved over to the left and in the correct position however I have no idea where to go from there.

I thought I would start by trying to get the universal top bar working but not quite sure where to start, I also thought that Eden handles weather differently so should I wait until maybe a new Foundation skin is released?

I then thought about using an existing skin and modifying it, but I was scared away with pretty much all of it.

Maybe I just stick to concept work Tongue

edit: if there is a skin maker who would not mind maybe talking me through a few things on MSN or even by phone (happy to call) that would be great. I would like to learn but no idea where to really start.

Piers Wrote:Would any skinners be kind enough to help me get started with the skin, give some pointers etc? I have picked apart the Dharma foundation skin but still got stuk. I have also looked over the wiki.

Some pointers from my experience starting out skinning...

Grab yourself Notepad++. Makes it real easy to work with the xml's.

Create a custom keymap.xml in ...\profile\userdata\keymaps\ with the following in it...

PHP Code:
<keymap
    <global> 
        <
keyboard
            <
F5>XBMC.ReloadSkin()</F5>
            <
F6>Skin.ToggleSetting(DebugGrid)</F6>
            <
F7>Skin.ToggleSetting(HideDebugInfo)</F7>
            <
F8>Notification(Testing 123,Hello world)</F8>
        </
keyboard
    </global> 
</
keymap

F5 is very handy for refeshing the skin to see changes without having to restart xbmc. Be aware however that on some rare occasions refreshing doesn't show changes. I've been cought out by that once or twice!

Main xml's (what i call base xml's) that sort of sit as a base to everything else are...

...\XBMC\language\English\strings.xml
...\addons\skin.folder\language\English\strings.xml
...\addons\skin.folder\colors\defaults.xml
...\addons\skin.folder\720p\Startup.xml
...\addons\skin.folder\720p\Defauts.xml
...\addons\skin.folder\720p\Font.xml
...\addons\skin.folder\720p\Includes.xml

Start with a skin like Foundation. Open up Includes.xml and Home.xml. Then start editing/adding to Home.xml. It's the first screen you see so a sensible starting point.

Try removing some parts and deconstruct Foundations home page. Then start adding small sections of your own design. As you go on, hopefully you'll pick up more and more understanding of how the skinning works.

An important point to keep in mind... watch the formating of the xml's. Becareful not to lose important characters like < > / and phrases like </control>, etc. If any are missing from the formating you'll most likely get a black screen!

Hope that helps!

Cheers
Piers Wrote:Well I don't really have XML skills but I have played around a bit with the Foundation skin - I managed to get the menu moved over to the left and in the correct position however I have no idea where to go from there.

I thought I would start by trying to get the universal top bar working but not quite sure where to start, I also thought that Eden handles weather differently so should I wait until maybe a new Foundation skin is released?

I then thought about using an existing skin and modifying it, but I was scared away with pretty much all of it.

Maybe I just stick to concept work Tongue

edit: if there is a skin maker who would not mind maybe talking me through a few things on MSN or even by phone (happy to call) that would be great. I would like to learn but no idea where to really start.

Well, IMHO, it might be better to open up a new thread and post a problem which you are trying to solve. I was lost too, until Hitch made Foundation - after that I was able to compare

-wiki (skinning manual)
-foundation code
-screenshots that Hitch supplied with it

for the most part it was self explanatory. Mod a Foundation to fit your concept for starters, leaving extra views, weather and like little bits for later.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Wip

nice skin concept. really has potential. u should give he movie posters and banners a more paper design (maybe a fold on the top right of them, a drop shadow and an overlay to make them look a bit rough and worn). it would make the skin look more unique.

oh, and if u haven't settled on a name yet, why not "Carbon" (or Karbon Big Grin). the black tint reminds me of carbon paper.
Shinu Wrote:nice skin concept. really has potential. u should give he movie posters and banners a more paper design (maybe a fold on the top right of them, a drop shadow and an overlay to make them look a bit rough and worn). it would make the skin look more unique.

oh, and if u haven't settled on a name yet, why not "Carbon" (or Karbon Big Grin). the black tint reminds me of carbon paper.

Thank you for the ideas, will see what I can work in to the final design.

looks very nice, might give it a go
yeah i agree looks very fresh, i hope there is a dev version for download available soon Wink
tim619 Wrote:yeah i agree looks very fresh, i hope there is a dev version for download available soon Wink

Let's wait until it is a bit stable...
Quiet a lot of other things around...
- - - Tribute to Metallica - - -
If I managed to help you, please click my reputation
This looks very nice. Can't wait for it Big Grin
This looks very interesting, I can't wait to try it out.
Looks quite promising. Nice color.
Cheers
ubuntuf4n
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1080LF (Linear)21