• 3(current)
[solved] Eden Audio Quality
@jmenorton

Hum, I would go around the problem (my noobish way of doing things)

the advancedsettings-file is universal (it doens't mather on what platform it is created). So create one on your MAC or Windows machine. (open a notepad file (windows), copy paste the code you want to include and save, then change the extension .txt (if you used notepad) to .xml and you're done)
Then copy the advancedsettings.xml to your userdata folder on any platform you like:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Userdata (Ubuntu is Linux btw)

Hope that was somehow helpfull. If you want a complete manual: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...ttings.xml
otherwise send me an PM (cause that's a bit off topic...)
Windows 10 Pro (64bit), Kodi v19.1 "Matrix"
Intel NUC8i3BEH (Samsung 970 Evo, G. Skill Ripjaws 8GB)
Samsung UE49KS7000, Logitech Harmony remote 350
AudioEngine D1, Synology DS218j NAS (SMB protocol)
Thanks for the help Zokkel, that seems to have sorted it to an extent, sounds fine at -20db, still abit rattley at 0db. But yeah, i can live with that.
Same here:
At 0db I get something best described as distortion/clipping at high volume peaks. But at -20db/-25db I haven't got any kind of noise/distortion/manipulation/clipping of my music. Of course I can put the volume of my mac op to 90% (so my amplifier is at 30-35% up), don't know if that's possible with XBMCUbuntu.
If the sound-ouput is too low you can try Ned Scott's suggestion and download the Audio Mixer:
Go into Settings -> Add-ons -> Get add-ons -> XBMC.org -> Programs -> XBMC Audio Mixer
and see if that helps...
(2012-04-16, 11:30)jmenorton Wrote: How do you edit the Advancedsetting.xml im opening it from xbmcubuntu and it just opening with Chromium web browser.
Like editing any text file, you need a text editor. Because the extension is xml ubuntu assumes it is coding for the web and opens it in Chromium.
Try opening it with something like Notepad++.

(2012-04-16, 13:03)Zokkel Wrote: At 0db I get something best described as distortion/clipping at high volume peaks. But at -20db/-25db I haven't got any kind of noise/distortion/manipulation/clipping of my music. Of course I can put the volume of my mac op to 90% (so my amplifier is at 30-35% up), don't know if that's possible with XBMCUbuntu.
Are you talking about the Volume slider? Or about the Volume Amplification slider?
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
(2012-04-18, 18:40)MassIV Wrote:
(2012-04-16, 13:03)Zokkel Wrote: At 0db I get something best described as distortion/clipping at high volume peaks. But at -20db/-25db I haven't got any kind of noise/distortion/manipulation/clipping of my music. Of course I can put the volume of my mac op to 90% (so my amplifier is at 30-35% up), don't know if that's possible with XBMCUbuntu.
Are you talking about the Volume slider? Or about the Volume Amplification slider?

I'm talking about the Volume slider. The Volume Amplification slider is to control the DRC. It's most likely that our problem is limiter-based and not DRC-based. Also, I thought the Volume Amplification slider can not get negative values. Not sure of that, so correct me if I'm wrong...
Yeah there's a lot of clipping and distortion now when setting limiterhold & release to 0. I removed the audio headroom since it doesn't seem to have any effect. Have to try turning down the volume in XBMC now to get rid of the distortion.

Why aren't more people seeing this issue or feature or whatever you want to call it..
I doubt it'll make any difference, but I'm seeing this too. Along with an issue with video being darker and more "contrasty" than in dharma.

Unfortunately, I think 90% aren't going to notice this. Which is often the case for bugs like this. I had to bring the attention of an aspect ratio bug to the developer's attention a few years back because it was present in XBMC and Plex but NOBODY seemed to have noticed. Thankfully it was fixed.

Let's hope this has a similar ending.

I've moved back to Dharma in the mean time. Eden is like having a Ferrari with square wheels for me - stunning and luxurious application, but of no use without the most basic of proper audio and video playback.
(2012-04-20, 07:12)toiva Wrote: Yeah there's a lot of clipping and distortion now when setting limiterhold & release to 0. I removed the audio headroom since it doesn't seem to have any effect. Have to try turning down the volume in XBMC now to get rid of the distortion.

That is definitely necessary! Set the volume of XBMC between -20db and -25db. Should solve it...

(2012-04-20, 08:00)nervekeg Wrote: I've moved back to Dharma in the mean time. Eden is like having a Ferrari with square wheels for me - stunning and luxurious application, but of no use without the most basic of proper audio and video playback.

I share this feeling!
There's nothing wrong with adding features and blibs and bleebs, but it remains a media-player! And a media-player should play audio and video, that's the #1 priority!
With Eden, I too have the feeling that the blibs and bleebs are more important than the actual quality of the output.

Also considering going back to dharma, but can't find the last build of Dharma anymore... (for OS X)
I have it, just shout if you need it.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

@Zokkel there are approximately 3 guys working on the osx and ios ports, and a gazillion of users like you. it's only logical that those 3 people will miss some stuff. they do their best, but they are still only 3 people, and they rather spend their time developing than testing. the gazillions should do the testing, it's only logical.

thus we can easily turn this around and blame you! it's all your fault for not reporting it!!!11 not fair eh? that's right, it wouldn't be. and the other way around is even more unfair. the devs who focus on osx and who put all their hard work into xbmc, do not deserve random non-contribution guys to tell them they do not focus on output quality due to some bug slipping in. it's statements like yours that makes me wonder why we don't just quit doing this thing all together.
I'm sure most of us would be satisfied if someone would simply admit that this is a bug (if it's one) and not intended behaviour. Which by reading between the lines i believe you are admitting. And that it only affects OSX?

If it is not a bug i'm sure everyone would appreciate getting some help getting the audio quality back what it is supposed to be.

OSX devs have done tremendous job and i'm sure everyone appreciate their efforts, myself including.
Even if I wanted to deny a bugs existence, it is pretty hard with a cause and a fix given Wink
Alrighty then.
need details here guys Smile
Audio quality of music player is terrible with default settings on Eden. It's like it's cutting away some frequencies, it's easiest to hear when listening to metal, it's usually the kick drums that trigger this "compressor" effect. It's like the volume is pumping up and down when there are loud low frequency sounds.

That's the best description i can come up with.

Setting limiter hold and limiter release to 0 seems to disable this compressor, or whatever you want to call it, but at the same time causes the audio to clip like crazy. Volume has to be lowered in the music OSD -20db or something like that.

I'm on 10.6.8, Mac mini 2010, HDMI to Denon AVR.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[solved] Eden Audio Quality1