• 7(current)
Allwinner A10 : Is XBMC ported to MALI-400MP ?
(2012-05-23, 20:34)j1nx Wrote:
(2012-05-23, 17:22)jompan87 Wrote: Anyone seen any smiliar device with LAN port? http://www.cnx-software.com/2012/05/17/7...dmi-stick/

Its really a shame it dosnt have it, would've been a winner otherwise!

If I had three wishes, I would wish for three more wishes....
Your right, greedy people just wants more right? Wink Just abit surprised that they didnt include it tho, as wifi is to unstable to stream HD content

Wonder what the possibilties of an external RJ45 connector threw the USB is ... :p

But keep up the good work, everything looks very promising Smile

Edit: Oh well, bought it all now haha. The small "usb" Allwinner + Usb RJ45 Connector + IR Reciver + USB Hub... Its gonna be fun to experiment some again Wink
(2012-05-23, 21:12)jompan87 Wrote: Edit: Oh well, bought it all now haha. The small "usb" Allwinner + Usb RJ45 Connector + IR Reciver + USB Hub... Its gonna be fun to experiment some again Wink

Very nice! Do you mind opening it up when you received it and post some good resolution pictures of the internals? We are very interested to see if their are UART connecters or such.

And offcourse let us know the performance of the usb->rj45 connection over the hub
(2012-05-23, 07:49)s7mx1 Wrote: you may find the signal is on the weak side.

The Wifi of the A2000 works fine at my house. I even have my WIFI signal reduced in my router/modem to lower RF dangers and the Mele in placed near a wall I know causes WIFI issues due to foil insulation. Therefore I consider the wifi of the Mele quite good.

Some feedback. Where I'm not that happy id that the video playback on Android isn't so good. I know the hardware can do much better as my Allwinner A10 tablet is amazing. I have put Android flash 1.3 and removed many of the Chinese based apps. The problem I have is video audio is out of sync when using BS Player app streaming .avi's off my home network. I'm not sure what video player I should use for the Mele. I probably shouldn't have delete so many shipped apps.
(2012-05-24, 09:08)e8hffff Wrote:
(2012-05-23, 07:49)s7mx1 Wrote: you may find the signal is on the weak side.

The Wifi of the A2000 works fine at my house. I even have my WIFI signal reduced in my router/modem to lower RF dangers and the Mele in placed near a wall I know causes WIFI issues due to foil insulation. Therefore I consider the wifi of the Mele quite good.

Some feedback. Where I'm not that happy id that the video playback on Android isn't so good. I know the hardware can do much better as my Allwinner A10 tablet is amazing. I have put Android flash 1.3 and removed many of the Chinese based apps. The problem I have is video audio is out of sync when using BS Player app streaming .avi's off my home network. I'm not sure what video player I should use for the Mele. I probably shouldn't have delete so many shipped apps.

If you have a good wifi N router A1000/A2000 probably will be fine. I have seen someone added an external antenna to A1000 and the improvement in the signal strength is massive.

I'm curious, if the xbmc/linux port to the Allwinner A10 is succesful, would that also make it easier to port it to other chips that use the MALI-400MP? For example the new AML8726-MX. Or do you basically have to start from zero again for a different SoC (even though it uses the same GPU and architecture)?

I also ordered the Mele A1000. I'd probably buy one later anyway so I decided that I could just order one right now. Big Grin
(2012-05-24, 12:03)Snippo Wrote: I'm curious, if the xbmc/linux port to the Allwinner A10 is succesful, would that also make it easier to port it to other chips that use the MALI-400MP? For example the new AML8726-MX. Or do you basically have to start from zero again for a different SoC (even though it uses the same GPU and architecture)?

I also ordered the Mele A1000. I'd probably buy one later anyway so I decided that I could just order one right now. Big Grin

Definitely. Most of the devices using the AllWinner A10 are pretty much the same. The differences are like tablets have touch scree, compared to the Mele Ax000 having none, but has VGA and other ports. Memory configurations are a small issue. I'm no expert but I've seent he progress on a Ainol Elf I own and now the Mele.

The two biggest areas of confrontation is the GFX driver, touch screen driver, and video decoders.
(2012-05-24, 12:03)Snippo Wrote: I'm curious, if the xbmc/linux port to the Allwinner A10 is succesful, would that also make it easier to port it to other chips that use the MALI-400MP? For example the new AML8726-MX. Or do you basically have to start from zero again for a different SoC (even though it uses the same GPU and architecture)?

The problem is not the GPU. Its the dedicated hardware video acceleration chip. Unless AML give away docs and libs to the developers there is no way one can get hardware acceleration working with AML chips.

My suggestion is stick with A10 chip for now.

(2012-05-24, 14:47)s7mx1 Wrote: The problem is not the GPU. Its the dedicated hardware video acceleration chip. Unless AML give away docs and libs to the developers there is no way one can get hardware acceleration working with AML chips.

AML is very open with all their source code. It's all GPLv2. The kernel code is open including the aml drivers. The userland side are open, including their player and libs. Hardware decode of both audio and video has been up and running for months, same for OpenGLES and Mali.
(2012-05-24, 15:14)davilla Wrote:
(2012-05-24, 14:47)s7mx1 Wrote: The problem is not the GPU. Its the dedicated hardware video acceleration chip. Unless AML give away docs and libs to the developers there is no way one can get hardware acceleration working with AML chips.

AML is very open with all their source code. It's all GPLv2. The kernel code is open including the aml drivers. The userland side are open, including their player and libs. Hardware decode of both audio and video has been up and running for months, same for OpenGLES and Mali.

Now I remember that you do have a similar tv top box with AML8726 chip. Hope you have made some good progress.

Ok, I thought the hardware video acceleration chip was part of the GPU itself. As I understand now the GPU is used for the (hardware accelerated) GUI and the dedicated HW video acceleration chip is used to play the media (h.264/mpeg2 etc).
So if the GPU is working and the HW video acceleration chip and other needed drivers are available then the available code/knowledge could easily be transferred to comparable ARM devices. Or is it more complicated than that?
I wish I could do something to help, but all of this is way out of my league :p.
it's more complicated than that Smile
(2012-05-24, 17:15)davilla Wrote: it's more complicated than that Smile

Like I always say; "If it was easy, I would have done it myself" Big Grin

Haha, so true. Maybe I'll understand it someday Big Grin .
Right now I'll just keep myself available for beta testing when my A1000 has arrived. Smile
(2012-05-24, 15:14)davilla Wrote:

AML is not very open with all their source. They are open enough to don't be saw as an opensource enemy and probably the released code is what is needed for XBMC on some devices, but I had serious problems getting git access to their code -a lot of code missing for a lot of devices in the web tarballs- even being in representation of a company that sold tablets based on their devices . Also, I got this access cancelled without notificaction some time ago.

I find Allwinner actitude quite more positive. Or to be exact Tom's actitude, as he is the one making the bridge between community and Allwinner.
(2012-05-24, 19:34)madmalkav Wrote: AML is not very open with all their source. They are open enough to don't be saw as an opensource enemy and probably the released code is what is needed for XBMC on some devices, but I had serious problems getting git access to their code -a lot of code missing for a lot of devices in the web tarballs- even being in representation of a company that sold tablets based on their devices . Also, I got this access cancelled without notificaction some time ago.

Not from what I see. not at all Smile
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Allwinner A10 : Is XBMC ported to MALI-400MP ?15