• 10(current)
Allwinner A10 : Is XBMC ported to MALI-400MP ?
(2012-05-30, 22:51)Ribuck Wrote: I'm surprised we haven't seen more information coming out, since these Mali developer drivers we're released on the 10th may. Either way can't wait for it and I really appreciate all the hard work that the community is putting into getting us accelerated Mali goodness Smile

That's how it always goes. You try to keep it a bit quit so people will not get their hopes up for a next week release. The whole kernel sources and such are released a couple of months ago. Development of it is now going on for about 2 months and slowly progressing. Gimli is only working recently on the XBMC port for it so that need at least a good portion of time.
Hi J1nx,

Yes I guess these things can take time, especially seeing that the people working on them have a day job to do first. Not having any real Linux knowledge I was wearing rose tinted glasses hoping that it might just be a bit like .NET programming where you just drop in a few libraries and compile and hey presto you have a driver.

Wishful thinking Smile

Well I'll just patiently wait like everyone else, being slightly frustrated that I'm not able to help contribute as my programming skills are windows only.

Rich

Just want to show the XBMC that here is one more that wish MELE A2000 to get XBMC Smile
I'm sure that it will be sorted soon then everyone will be forget about Rasberry Pi and Mali400 based devices will be flying off the shelves.
(2012-05-31, 14:26)Ribuck Wrote: I'm sure that it will be sorted soon then everyone will be forget about Rasberry Pi and Mali400 based devices will be flying off the shelves.

I hope you do understand the GPU inside raspberry pi is one of the best on the current market. The dual core GPU inside raspberry pi has 24 GFLOPS and to give you an idea how powerful it is have a look at the link below

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5559/qualc...nchmarks/3

Raspberry pi is about half of the price of the current A10 device and the xbmc is running quite smoothly on it already.
(2012-05-31, 14:48)s7mx1 Wrote: Raspberry pi is about half of the price of the current A10 device and the xbmc is running quite smoothly on it already.

RaspberryPi is simple not suitable for XBMC as it doesn't have a case nor the ports wanted by home users for their main media player. The MeleAx000 series does. The RPI is simply an experimental circuit board.

Lets talk up the devices that are real players, not going to waste developers time.

Once XBMC is included in a proper Linux release image for Mele Ax000 series, then it will finally hit the headlines again since the fame of the XBoX one days. It will be the media player contender, of the scene.
(2012-05-31, 14:48)s7mx1 Wrote:
(2012-05-31, 14:26)Ribuck Wrote: I'm sure that it will be sorted soon then everyone will be forget about Rasberry Pi and Mali400 based devices will be flying off the shelves.

I hope you do understand the GPU inside raspberry pi is one of the best on the current market. The dual core GPU inside raspberry pi has 24 GFLOPS and to give you an idea how powerful it is have a look at the link below

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5559/qualc...nchmarks/3

Raspberry pi is about half of the price of the current A10 device and the xbmc is running quite smoothly on it already.

But I think RPi is not the best choice due to some video/audio licences are missing. Now. And not strong enough to do some decoding.
What I wanted to state is xbmc runs on raspberry pi well and has better gpu. Nothing more, nothing less. Whether you want to choose A10 based devices, raspberry pi or something totally different is totally your personal choice.
(2012-05-31, 15:18)s7mx1 Wrote: What I wanted to state is xbmc runs on raspberry pi well and has better gpu. Nothing more, nothing less. Whether you want to choose A10 based devices, raspberry pi or something totally different is totally your personal choice.

I wouldn't put too much weight on that AnandTech experiment as all the different CPU/GPU's were taken to the same clock speed for FLOPS rating. One clock cycle and the task performed, can be vastly different between CPU's and GPU's. It's like forcing a Ferrari and a Volkwagon to 40kph and asking which is the better car engine on the race track. You'd need to do some averages at full, load and speed, to get a real comparison.

Here's another Mali comparison:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4760/arms-...gpufor-now

Like I said, the Raspberry Pi is an experimental board for hackers and the like. It's not meant to become a commercial home product as the Mele can be with the right software ( like XBMC running on a Ubuntu linux kernel). XBMC Developers shouldn't waste their time on the Raspberry Pi as it wont further the XBMC campaign in the world.
(2012-05-31, 15:56)e8hffff Wrote:
(2012-05-31, 15:18)s7mx1 Wrote: What I wanted to state is xbmc runs on raspberry pi well and has better gpu. Nothing more, nothing less. Whether you want to choose A10 based devices, raspberry pi or something totally different is totally your personal choice.

I wouldn't put too much weight on that AnandTech experiment as all the different CPU/GPU's were taken to the same clock speed for FLOPS rating. One clock cycle and the task performed, can be vastly different between CPU's and GPU's. It's like forcing a Ferrari and a Volkwagon to 40kph and asking which is the better car engine on the race track. You'd need to do some averages at full, load and speed, to get a real comparison.

Here's another Mali comparison:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4760/arms-...gpufor-now

Like I said, the Raspberry Pi is an experimental board for hackers and the like. It's not meant to become a commercial home product as the Mele can be with the right software ( like XBMC running on a Ubuntu linux kernel). XBMC Developers shouldn't waste their time on the Raspberry Pi as it wont further the XBMC campaign in the world.

The cool thing in OpenSource development is, i have the freedom to choose what i want. The A10 port will come but slowly. My main focus is still the RPi. Telling me i'm foul because i made that decsion is not polite. If you do not like the decision you are welcome to help in porting XBMC to other platforms.

Keep in mind we do the development for fun, not for sales numbers.

Another point is, using generic distributions like Ubuntu on embeded devices is the wrong way. Those are to bloatet, on limitied platforms.
(2012-05-31, 15:04)e8hffff Wrote:
(2012-05-31, 14:48)s7mx1 Wrote: Raspberry pi is about half of the price of the current A10 device and the xbmc is running quite smoothly on it already.

RaspberryPi is simple not suitable for XBMC as it doesn't have a case nor the ports wanted by home users for their main media player. The MeleAx000 series does. The RPI is simply an experimental circuit board.

Lets talk up the devices that are real players, not going to waste developers time.

Once XBMC is included in a proper Linux release image for Mele Ax000 series, then it will finally hit the headlines again since the fame of the XBoX one days. It will be the media player contender, of the scene.

Intresting point. The AppleTV2 port is quite popular. Wonder how that comes. The AppleTV2 has less ports than the RPi. *wonder*

You bring it to the point : Personal choice
(2012-05-31, 16:49)gimli Wrote: The cool thing in OpenSource development is, i have the freedom to choose what i want. The A10 port will come but slowly. My main focus is still the RPi. Telling me i'm foul because i made that decsion is not polite. If you do not like the decision you are welcome to help in porting XBMC to other platforms.

Another point is, using generic distributions like Ubuntu on embeded devices is the wrong way. Those are to bloatet, on limitied platforms.

That's your prerogative. The fact of the matter is XBMC hasn't retained the success it had of the XBox days. For it to regain ground it needs developers who have direction and understand what hardware is suitable. Yeah it may not be ABOUT sales, but there still is a flag at the top of the hill. Apple 'smart' TV has just gone into production, btw.

(2012-05-31, 17:02)e8hffff Wrote:
(2012-05-31, 16:49)gimli Wrote: The cool thing in OpenSource development is, i have the freedom to choose what i want. The A10 port will come but slowly. My main focus is still the RPi. Telling me i'm foul because i made that decsion is not polite. If you do not like the decision you are welcome to help in porting XBMC to other platforms.

That's you're prerogative. The fact of the matter is XBMC hasn't retained the success it had of the XBox days. For it to regain ground it needs developers who have direction and understand what hardware is suitable. Yeah it may not be able sales, but there still is a flag at the top of the hill. Apple 'smart' TV has just gone into production, btw.

Thats what you think.
(2012-05-31, 16:52)gimli Wrote: Interesting point. The AppleTV2 port is quite popular. Wonder how that comes. The AppleTV2 has less ports than the RPi. *wonder*

IR Remote+pickup?
Optical Audio?
Multiple USB Ports? (for say adding dongles and other add-ins (remote mice and keyboards,Wii controller+pickup etc))
Metal RF shielding?
Huhout of the box standardsHuh suitable for XBMC in the general home

If the XBMC community keeps losing opportunities it will simply become obsolete by other suppliers.
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Allwinner A10 : Is XBMC ported to MALI-400MP ?15