• 58(current)
Allwinner A10 : Is XBMC ported to MALI-400MP ?
:-)

They probably got a lot of email from non happy customers :-)

Let's hope this helps !
I'm since a while quietly looking around whats happening here, until now i did not decide to take part of the discussion here. However good things are going on here. Let me shortly tell about myself and why i am here. I am a young (26 years old) hobby developer and working in the IT branche for an popular telco in the Netherlands. Since a while i met j1nx on he's site and we where quickly started to talk in Dutch about the Allwinner and how great the device as an STB for IPTV it could be. However we don't know what the future brings with the Allwinner Axx devices we can reconsider (most of all have the device already) to start thinking about what else we can do with it. On j1nx forum we've open a new threat to discuss off topic "What to do with your Allwinner device?". Also i hope the moderators would be not mad on me for a kind of spam like these? Smile
You can use it as a paperweight like gimli suggested a while back :-)
The hardware it self could be useful for other purposes for example a LAMP server, or a NAS server (the mele is ideal for it)

So, if there people interested to use the already bought device then we can discuss it offtopic? In the mean time we wait for good news Smile
(2012-08-21, 14:18)Kweker Wrote: I think this means Allwinner gave an explanation/apology ? Nice Smile

Also nice of gimli to accept it.

Thanks for letting us know J1nx.

http://www.j1nx.nl/xbmc-allwinner-a10-ap...-accepted/

Please read it!
BTW, now you know why the XBMC dev's keep this kind of stuff a secret before something workable is present. The android port went through 8 of these cycles.
I think it's important to think why you and Gimli started the project in the beginning and if that reason is still valid. Was it to...

- Gain respect? -> Continue.
- Thirst for knowledge? -> Continue.
- Us (The community)? -> Continue.
- Expand the world of XBMC to more devices? -> Continue
- Profit? -> Stop.
- Help Allwinner conquer the world? -> Stop.

I can only speak for myself, but I would be a very happy camper if you and Gimli decide to continue work on this project when Allwinner provides the necessary files.
+1
hoping you can continue your project on A10 and Android and can see through the difficulties. I have several A10-based devices. May as well try and use them now I have them.
(2012-08-20, 22:50)j1nx Wrote:
Quote:13:47 <hipboi> made a mistake about the #ifdef
13:47 <hipboi> which leads the lib uncompiled
13:47 <hipboi> so the checksum is the same

I wish we received the uncompiled lib Big Grin

In a perfect world, hell yeah!

Davilla, well after your recommendation, the pivos being, except for the mali GPU, fully opensource, I've put my money where my mouth is and bought one from newegg. Should be here in a few weeks however (NL). Since it only has HDMI out, I have to see how or where I can use it, so this is atleast some form of support.
It would be such a waste of a platform with such potential if it doesn't get fully supported under Linux. Hopefully it'll happen one day. Obviously the sooner the better for everyone.
Fully supported? what that means? 3D programs work under linux, as long they run from framebuffer, no even the R-PI has X11 hardware acceleration, Kernel and U-boot are open-source, the VPU is the problem, is not open source as everyone else, on android work well, but is not OpenMAX, and on linux is crap, and i sure it is because nobody sell those things with linux.

With OpenMAX is their decision, if they does not want to use it, there is not much you can do about it, so you either buy something that support OpenMAX, or you program the thing to use wharever cedar is using today on android. With the launch of Android 4.1 cedar is not longer working on it, so allwinner has to do something about it, so i expect some news on this front.

On the Linux thing, we probably the first to complain about it, to give you an example, i asked for support to a LOT of devs, last year about MIPS support to their android app, most of them respended (not right now, maybe later), 10 months later in cheking out and about 90% of the devs launched MIPS versions of the apps, even the MXPlayer. OK is not the same mips support in android apps is easy on most cases, its google fault that does not include mips support in their ndk and you have to use an special one.

That does not excuse lying, but i think we should give them some time, as probably Android is their top priority and they have enoght problems with 4.1 already.

I can assure you that linux is not crap on ARM hardware. We've already seen significant performance improvements with linux vs Android on the same hardware (Pivos XIOS). They include Android with their hardware because (for the time being) it's the least amount of work they have to do to include something that will have a GUI and open apps (plus a wide selection of apps thanks to Google Play/Android Market).
Im not saying its crap, im saying that some companys are not interested in Linux, why they should? Linux do not sell, Android does, Mali-400 has been out for ages, still X11 does not work well on it, and im not seeing ARM willing to fix it. Same happens with Cedar VPU.
I bet Windows RT will get more support.

The best thing has happen to us, the users was the news of XBMC on Android, if i need to wait until the companys are willing to do a proper Linux support to their cpus im gona die of old age.
And i can still chroot Linux if i need some apps from it.

I agree. XBMC will be a killer app on the android devices. Let's say most of people brought android phones, tablets and boxes want to run it surely, As long as people want it, the companies selling these device have to support XBMC, then they will provide drivers to get it running. Once XBMC has the standard driver framework ready, these driver could be transplant to Linux relative easily and reused by the other applications. It makes Linux runs on all these devices. Practically, I think it is possible. Wouldn't that be nice? What will be nicer? I would say that Linux and Android merge as one OS as they should.

UPDATE: I just realised that after kernel version 3.3 and 3.4 are released, Android and Linux merge into one !
  • 58(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Allwinner A10 : Is XBMC ported to MALI-400MP ?15