• 92(current)
Allwinner A10 : Is XBMC ported to MALI-400MP ?
I don't know - the usb and rj45 port stack make it quite a tall board - when you see it mounted on the heatsink they provide it looks about the same size at the ouya is going to be.
The lan on the odroid-u2 is USB anyway, and it has no wifi...
just picked up a cheap sumvision slim nano+ (pivos xios ds clone) to mess around with for a while (got a really good deal on one secondhand) - so my finger's off the buy button on the odroid-u2 for now.

I'll be really interested to see how these devices and the ouya play out and then I'll decide down the line which to go for.
Problem is that for my use it will be used just for xbmc, nothing else so I'd rather have it boot straight into xbmc.
I got the ds and although it can run Linux XBMC it's just too darn slow Undecided for daily use....

There XBMC.org release for android on dec 2nd way out performs it even on my sgs2.

In going to relegate the old allwinner stuff to dice player for now
Hi there,

so the best thing to use on the A10 is the native android XBMC?

I would have loved to see that little device running XBMC under linux. Sad

The best thing is to invest in a very well speced device.. I assume its another 6-8months before it's under $50 for full hw deciding/fancy menu/DTS capable stuff

Currently the latest droid XBMC runs in any device that has a NEON board (Mali-400 GPU or tegra 3)

So it runs OK (but not enough for me yet) on my galaxy s3.

The best I've seen is the new odroid-u2 and odroid-x2..

They have quad core 1.7 CPU (overclockable!!), 2Gb ram and probably the fastest Mali-400 GPUs I've seen anywhere!

You can try mk808/802 boards if on a budget (YouTube videos of XBMC on mk808/allwinner/odroid .. even the "old" original "odroid x" looks pretty pretty good)
Odroid-u2 has no SATA and no internal Wifi (external keys can be used with A10 too...). And is really poor at connectors. Not a choice.

Maybe in 7-10 months something based on Dual (Not dual lite, which is again without SATA and has about same Gpu power than A10 or less...) i.Mx6 or bigger will come to market at decent price...

Also for A10 there's no reason for which linux version of xbmc should be slower than android version of more than 5-10% (interface, not decoding), and it's a little price to have a linux box with other apps running in background.
If speed is less than that, something is different in libraries or configurations (for example android version is compiled with -O3 -O3, etc.etc. ..... ) we need to find and solve the bottleneck.

If the issue is boot speed and you're using only linaro, maybe we should try something using systemd instead (do linaro is upstart-based like ubuntu?)...
Another try I'll do will likely be openbricks.
Linux would be a better choice except true native implementations with hw gpu drivers are not very easy for the novice...
(I am currently researching the recently released X11 mali-400 drivers)

The Android based route does make it easier to install XBMC but imposes more rules.
That being said makes a machine more fun with game emulators etc

You are going to knock the u2 because it doesn't have SATA? Seriously, you don't have a nas or USB-SATA?...

I would never plan to use the wifi (although i have plenty of modules that will work) as the u2 has rj45 which means it can stream blueray all day Big Grin
you don't need real sata performance, fastest you will ever play is 40-60Mbits/sec, usb can easily handle that.
I have bought an Android Box with A10 Allwinner chipset, with SPDIF optical output and RJ45 LAN connections. It is recognized from Android as SoftwinerEvb. This is the link on eBay: http://www.ebay.it/itm/281015268561?ssPa...1439.l2649

2 Questions from a newbie:

So, the problem is that with XBMC "Frodo" Beta 2, everything works but the HD movies (mkv >4GB files, FullHD) are crappy/slowly, and audio broken and in settings I see as maximum resolution "in Window" is 1280x720. I have searched this thread, without solution. The problem is the same with LAN, WiFi, USB or SD reading source.
My disappoint is that with other players (TVDVideo or FireAir for example, the ones found in ROM), works without problem. Why other players decode fullhd and xbmc no?

I'd like to connect the SPDIF out to my AV receiver to decode Dolby Digital 5.1 AC3 and 5.1 DTS audio streams, but there is no way to set it. On XBMC it appears but not works. In other players, the only way is the downmix to stereo PCM through SPDIF (or HDMI I guess). I tried to install audiopatch1.2.apk and audiopatch1.3apk from ludman forum (also copying libswa1 library manually). No way.

Any one tried a CyanogenMod 10 on these boxes? How to boot in recovery and flash new ROMs? only by SD?

Thank's
http://www.allwinnertech.com/product/A31.html

They dropped sata :S

Also that PowerVR does not have desktop OpenGL? :S
(2012-12-11, 16:59)tesking Wrote: So, the problem is that with XBMC "Frodo" Beta 2, everything works but the HD movies (mkv >4GB files, FullHD) are crappy/slowly, and audio broken and in settings I see as maximum resolution "in Window" is 1280x720. I have searched this thread, without solution. The problem is the same with LAN, WiFi, USB or SD reading source.
My disappoint is that with other players (TVDVideo or FireAir for example, the ones found in ROM), works without problem. Why other players decode fullhd and xbmc no?

XBMC is open source and has to use an open source solution that is also not encumbered by non-disclosure agreements.
(2012-12-12, 07:06)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2012-12-11, 16:59)tesking Wrote: So, the problem is that with XBMC "Frodo" Beta 2, everything works but the HD movies (mkv >4GB files, FullHD) are crappy/slowly, and audio broken and in settings I see as maximum resolution "in Window" is 1280x720. I have searched this thread, without solution. The problem is the same with LAN, WiFi, USB or SD reading source.

XBMC is open source and has to use an open source solution that is also not encumbered by non-disclosure agreements.

Sorry, I don't understand: are you saying other players (freeware on playstore, too) can use decoding engine not available for XBMC? But all the source code for allwinner a10 acceleration in hardware are not available as GPL? Check here: http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/
By the way, Ned, have you same experience? do you have an a10 and XBMC? I don't understand if my problem is normal, cause no other one ask my questions here.
Thank's and bye.
(2012-12-12, 12:41)tesking Wrote: I don't understand if my problem is normal, cause no other one ask my questions here.
Thank's and bye.

Uhm, you might wanna read the other 137 pages of the thread. All your answers are in here.

• 92(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Allwinner A10 : Is XBMC ported to MALI-400MP ?15