• 93(current)
Allwinner A10 : Is XBMC ported to MALI-400MP ?
(2012-12-12, 12:41)tesking Wrote: Sorry, I don't understand: are you saying other players (freeware on playstore, too) can use decoding engine not available for XBMC? But all the source code for allwinner a10 acceleration in hardware are not available as GPL? Check here: http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/
By the way, Ned, have you same experience? do you have an a10 and XBMC? I don't understand if my problem is normal, cause no other one ask my questions here.
Thank's and bye.

Allwinner's hardware decoding "library" is full of really bad bugs that make a lot of videos unwatchable. One of our developers is trying to work with Allwinner on it, but they're kind of stringing us around.
I just recieved a email from Eva @ allwinner:

Quote:Hi,

It seems that someone has already ported XBMC to A10 HDMI Dongle successfully. The link below for your reference.

With a shameless advertisment-link underneath of a HDMI stick. No mention of XBMC what so ever. Wow, how low can they sink?
(2012-12-13, 09:06)Nu7s Wrote: I just recieved a email from Eva @ allwinner:

It seems that someone has already ported XBMC to A10 HDMI Dongle successfully. The link below for your reference.

With a shameless advertisment-link underneath of a HDMI stick. No mention of XBMC what so ever. Wow, how low can they sink?

I got the same mail in the morning from Eva. We have to face the reality, Allwinner is just kidding on us. She got a nice anwser from me. For my part i'll move allong and do other XBMC ports.
I guess everybody got this mail, who helped by mailing Allwinner for any help and support this comunity.
The last days i was even excited to thing about the A31 SoC of them, but this is to be shame of. I guess that company needs other employees or just leave the market, this is a waste of our time and money. Maybe soon there would be some boards with Cortex A7 SoC (dual core/quad core) with a nice gpu/vpu that would be supported anyway. Then Allwinner lose and for taking us serieus would be to late for them anyway. So perhaps we need as comunity to stop even thinking about Allwinner, and just ignore them as they do us. No new customers, new orders, or any kind of interest they will feel perhaps. Who agree with me?
To be honest, I havn't turned on my Mele A2000 in 3 months. I've been using my Raspberry for my XBMC needs and it works fine. It would be great if XBMC could be ported to Allwinner, but I will never buy a Allwinner product again. But that decision was made long before today.
(2012-12-13, 09:12)gimli Wrote:

I got the same mail in the morning from Eva. We have to face the reality, Allwinner is just kidding on us. She got a nice anwser from me. For my part i'll move allong and do other XBMC ports.

Which email. I think they didn't even care to send it to me Wink Can someone forward or post it?
This uninterested attitude from allwinner is a shame. Isn't it possible to get one of them reading this thread, searching the web, taking care of mailing lists and irc, to mention what's going on or what's not going on with their products. My european mind cannot understand this. They do not see, which power their own products "could" have.... Maybe the A10-linux'ers are a too small group. Even though a email takes a few seconds today from china to the world, for me it seems that the efforts to get in (serious) contact are made by riding with horses...
What are the alternatives? Maybe i should give my RPi a chance and upgrade it from a music player to xbmc.
Regards from a still hoping nevertheless A10-SoC fan
@Peter, forwarded it to you, check your mail. Gr. Johan
With A31 and A20 now avalible, they will not care much about A10...
(2012-12-13, 17:10)Shivansps Wrote: With A31 and A20 now avalible, they will not care much about A10...

Guess which VPU is inside the A20
If they are smart enoght the same that is on A31.
But seing that they now need to support two diferent gpus on their two main production models i dont think they are smart at all.
The A20 would be the model next of the A10 for STBs. The A31 they would use only for tablets, i guess thats the most logical choice they made. By the A20 as the A10 they will use the Mali-400MP as GPU and is nothing more then a upgrade of the exist A10. By the A31 with POWER VR SGX 544 as GPU i hope that samsung releases some source for it? However if you ask me, its a waste of money and time. They last mail proves again that they dont have any interest in us. So why we have to put more energy and time on it?

I thought so too. Just for kicks, I did a search for the "VidOn.Me" mini PC and found the homepage. There are downloads for the manual and for the "VidOn.Me.apk". The manual has screenshots of the app, and they look like a re-branded XBMC.

So now I'm not sure if it's a (perhaps misguided) attempt at being helpful or an attempt to pass the buck. In any case, it doesn't help us run XBMC in Linux. At most, it (maybe) provides hardware acceleration for a XBMC (-like?) program under Android.

If it really is a re-branded XBMC then I guess it opens up a whole other can of worms (is the modified source available, is this non-attributed commercial use allowed?). Link to the downloads page *removed*. I'm downloading the APK and will try it out shortly to see if it is in fact XBMC. I'll post the results once I've had a chance to test it out.

**EDIT**

I've installed and tested the APK on my MK802-II. I don't have the skill to verify that the binary was built from XBMC sources, but it certainly looks and behaves like XBMC. If it isn't, it's the most convincing knock-off in history. It uses a slightly-modified confluence skin. All references to XBMC have been removed. The "About" screen is replaced with one made by "VidOnMe".

I tested an HD video (720p h264) and it played fine so there is hardware acceleration in play. You can't see the OSD, but it doesn't seem to be using an external player because changing audio/video settings in the GUI seems to have the desired effect when you play the video again.

I sent an email to the VidOnMe company to ask about the availability of source code and if this was an authorized redistribution. I'm not holding my breath but will post the response if I get one.
(2012-12-14, 02:55)andrego Wrote: I thought so too. Just for kicks, I did a search for the "VidOn.Me" mini PC and found the homepage. There are downloads for the manual and for the "VidOn.Me.apk". The manual has screenshots of the app, and they look like a re-branded XBMC.

So now I'm not sure if it's a (perhaps misguided) attempt at being helpful or an attempt to pass the buck. In any case, it doesn't help us run XBMC in Linux. At most, it (maybe) provides hardware acceleration for a XBMC (-like?) program under Android.

If it really is a re-branded XBMC then I guess it opens up a whole other can of worms (is the modified source available, is this non-attributed commercial use allowed?). Link to the downloads page *removed*. I'm downloading the APK and will try it out shortly to see if it is in fact XBMC. I'll post the results once I've had a chance to test it out.

**EDIT**

I've installed and tested the APK on my MK802-II. I don't have the skill to verify that the binary was built from XBMC sources, but it certainly looks and behaves like XBMC. If it isn't, it's the most convincing knock-off in history. It uses a slightly-modified confluence skin. All references to XBMC have been removed. The "About" screen is replaced with one made by "VidOnMe".

I tested an HD video (720p h264) and it played fine so there is hardware acceleration in play. You can't see the OSD, but it doesn't seem to be using an external player because changing audio/video settings in the GUI seems to have the desired effect when you play the video again.

I sent an email to the VidOnMe company to ask about the availability of source code and if this was an authorized redistribution. I'm not holding my breath but will post the response if I get one.

I've posted a topic in general for this this shouldn't be left in just this topic. and also sent a request for the source code as well.

Link to new thread
IBood have the A10 on sale today for £27.95 + delivery.
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
  • 93(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Allwinner A10 : Is XBMC ported to MALI-400MP ?15