• 98(current)
Allwinner A10 : Is XBMC ported to MALI-400MP ?
Hi,

I have a Cubieboard (A10, MALI400, 1GB RAM, Linaro Ubuntu 12.11) - and from what I gather in dmesg, the MALI is only using 64MB. How can I manage the 1GB RAM in order to allocate a larger minimum just for the GPU? Say 512MB?

I'm looking for some kind of configuration similar to what the Raspberry Pi has - raspi-config - which allows memory management like this.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!
(2013-03-14, 02:13)wickwire Wrote: Hi,

I have a Cubieboard (A10, MALI400, 1GB RAM, Linaro Ubuntu 12.11) - and from what I gather in dmesg, the MALI is only using 64MB. How can I manage the 1GB RAM in order to allocate a larger minimum just for the GPU? Say 512MB?

I'm looking for some kind of configuration similar to what the Raspberry Pi has - raspi-config - which allows memory management like this.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

How is your question related to XBMC?

Maybe the cubie board board is a better place for your question:
http://www.cubieforums.com/
You are correct, thank you for the advice, I will go there!

Thank you
How is development of this architecture going? Is it worth buying something like this to set up a cheap XBMC media center?

Is A10 branch being actively developed? I don't mind having to mess with kernel and/or system compilation, if it's properly documented, and I will be able to have a full functional device. Mainly 1080p BluRay streams playback, acceptable interface speed, optical audio output, subtitles and remote.

PS: Sorry if my questions have been answered, but I'm not in the mood to read 140 pages...
(2013-03-26, 18:47)doragasu Wrote: How is development of this architecture going? Is it worth buying something like this to set up a cheap XBMC media center?

Is A10 branch being actively developed? I don't mind having to mess with kernel and/or system compilation, if it's properly documented, and I will be able to have a full functional device. Mainly 1080p BluRay streams playback, acceptable interface speed, optical audio output, subtitles and remote.

PS: Sorry if my questions have been answered, but I'm not in the mood to read 140 pages...

Stop. Slowly turn around and walk away. Allwinner + XBMC = No.

If you are looking for a cheap (but capable) XBMC box I would suggest a Raspberry PI. No optical out however.
(2013-03-26, 18:47)doragasu Wrote: How is development of this architecture going? Is it worth buying something like this to set up a cheap XBMC media center?

See this post
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=154492

The last nightly builds looks very good (I have a A10 running XBMC), but I not recommend Allwinner for play XBMC... not yet.
Thanks for the answers. I started thinking on the RPi at first, but I have read it has problems with some H.264 streams, and with some audio streams (like DTS). I thought the extra power of the A10 would help getting a better experience. Too bad it's not working Sad

Sorry for the off-topic, but is there something worth to mention between the RPi and an HTPC?

Also, what's exactly the problem with these A10 devices? I have found a youtube video showing what looks like Linux + XBMC on the A10 based hackberry board, and it runs pretty well.

I forgot to clarify I'm interested in Linux + XBMC. I would like an Android free player.
There is also the Pivos Xios, but I've heard the development isn't there yet. If you have patience you could wait for the Ouya console.

I own a Mele A2000 (Allwinner A10) and was following this thread since page 1. Altough there was some progress (not thanks to allwinner), in my opnion the A10 will never be running stable and is not popular enough to ensure it will even be maintained. I'm currently using it as my main NZB/torrent downloader and does a fine job. Thanks J1nx!
(2013-03-27, 11:33)doragasu Wrote: Also, what's exactly the problem with these A10 devices? I have found a youtube video showing what looks like Linux + XBMC on the A10 based hackberry board, and it runs pretty well.
The problem is, that hw-video-decoding is done by the CedarX-VPU. To use this engine, there are some binarys available - which are closed source. They weren't officially released by allwinner.
As there are some problems with decoding a few or some more codecs and codec-profiles, it seems, that this binarys have some bugs. But without sources, they can't be fixed by the community. And atm there is no support from allwinner regarding source code or new fixed binarys. So development got stucked.
Also, there are only closed-sorce binarys for the Mali-GPU available. But this ones don't seem to be the problem. Efforts on REing mali is progressive, too.

I am using a mele at home to stream TV as a secondary device. And this is useable imo. Changing GUIs while playing video stutters sometimes, some codecs don't work as expected. The ones needed for streaming are ok.
But fully bugless usage isn't possible so i cannot recommend A10 for production use atm. Though many people here have thrown their A10 to trash, I'm looking forward that there will be some progress with CedarX Wink
Else I can use it for many other things, too.

I didn't find any time to test my new MyGica A11 with j1nx's builds. Maybe the WAF will with amlogic will be better...

rellla
Thanks for the detailed answers. Too bad Allwinner isn't releasing sources, A10 may not be as popular as RPi, but there are a lot of chinese cheap devices using this chip.

EDIT: Maybe we could flood their contact page with petitions...
http://www.allwinner.com/awt/contact.php
(2013-03-27, 21:25)doragasu Wrote: Thanks for the detailed answers. Too bad Allwinner isn't releasing sources, A10 may not be as popular as RPi, but there are a lot of chinese cheap devices using this chip.

EDIT: Maybe we could flood their contact page with petitions...
http://www.allwinner.com/awt/contact.php

LOL, Dejavu Tongue
Hi,

I just tried to cross compile xbmc from empatzero's repo under ubuntu 12.04 64-Bit with linaro quantal alip rootfs. I followed the instructions from here:

http://linux-sunxi.org/XBMC

First of all I would like to know which repo is currently better rella's or empatzero's?

When running make there are a few problems...

1. the tarball directory is not created... no problem mkdir ~/tarballs

2. downloading the mali opengl es sdk seems to be broken...

Code:
gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: Child returned status 1
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
make[1]: *** [.include] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/oliver/lab/xbmca10/tools/a10/depends/opengles'
make: *** [all] Error 2

This can be fixed by manually downloading the tar.gz file:

cd ~/tarballs; wget http://malideveloper.arm.com/downloads/M...nux.tar.gz

3. the mali drivers are no longer included..

cat xbmca10/tools/a10/depends/opengles/tmp/linux-sunxi-mali-libs-6b38cce/README:

Code:
This repository is DEPRECATED and should not be used anymore.

Please use the sunxi-mali repository instead. It is available at
https://github.com/linux-sunxi/sunxi-mali

You can clone it by running:

> git clone https://github.com/linux-sunxi/sunxi-mali.git
> git submodule init
> git submodule update

The following steps solved it for me.

Code:
cd ~/tarballs
git clone https://github.com/linux-sunxi/sunxi-mali.git
mv sunxi-mali linux-sunxi-mali-libs-6b38cce
cd linux-sunxi-mali-libs-6b38cce
git submodule init
git submodule update
cd lib
ln -s mali/r3p0 .
cd ~/tarballs
rm mali-libs-v2.tar.gz
tar cvzf mali-libs-v2.tar.gz linux-sunxi-mali-libs-6b38cce

after this make runs fine and builds all the dependencies, but make -C xbmc fails with the following error:

Code:
checking for main in -lEGL... no
configure: error: Could not find a required library. Please see the README for your platform.
make: *** [all] Error 1
make: Leaving directory `/home/oliver/lab/xbmca10/tools/a10/depends/xbmc'
config.log reveals there is a problem with libpython2.7:

Code:
/usr/lib/libpython2.7.so: file not recognized: File format not recognized
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:19356: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h */
| #define PACKAGE_NAME "xbmc"
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "xbmc"
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION "12.0"
| #define PACKAGE_STRING "xbmc 12.0"
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT "http://trac.xbmc.org"
| #define PACKAGE_URL ""
| #define PACKAGE "xbmc"
| #define VERSION "12.0"
| #define LIRC_DEVICE "/dev/lircd"
| #define STDC_HEADERS 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_STAT_H 1
| #define HAVE_STDLIB_H 1
| #define HAVE_STRING_H 1
| #define HAVE_MEMORY_H 1
| #define HAVE_STRINGS_H 1
| #define HAVE_INTTYPES_H 1
| #define HAVE_STDINT_H 1
| #define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1
| #define HAVE_DLFCN_H 1
| #define LT_OBJDIR ".libs/"
| #define HAVE_ALLOCA_H 1
| #define HAVE_ALLOCA 1
| #define HAVE_DIRENT_H 1
| #define CLOSEDIR_VOID 1
| #define HAVE_FSEEKO 1
| #define HAVE_LSTAT_EMPTY_STRING_BUG 1
| #define TIME_WITH_SYS_TIME 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_TIME_H 1
| #define HAVE_STDLIB_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_PARAM_H 1
| #define HAVE_UTIME_H 1
| #define HAVE_ALARM 1
| #define HAVE_GETPAGESIZE 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_SELECT_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_SOCKET_H 1
| #define SELECT_TYPE_ARG1 int
| #define SELECT_TYPE_ARG234 (fd_set *)
| #define SELECT_TYPE_ARG5 (struct timeval *)
| #define RETSIGTYPE void
| #define HAVE_STAT_EMPTY_STRING_BUG 1
| #define HAVE_STRFTIME 1
| #define HAVE_UTIME_NULL 1
| #define HAVE_VPRINTF 1
| #define HAVE_ATEXIT 1
| #define HAVE_DUP2 1
| #define HAVE_FDATASYNC 1
| #define HAVE_FTIME 1
| #define HAVE_FTRUNCATE 1
| #define HAVE_GETCWD 1
#define HAVE_GETHOSTBYADDR 1
#define HAVE_GETHOSTBYNAME 1
#define HAVE_GETHOSTNAME 1
#define HAVE_GETPAGESIZE 1
#define HAVE_GETPASS 1
#define HAVE_GETTIMEOFDAY 1
#define HAVE_INET_NTOA 1
#define HAVE_LCHOWN 1
#define HAVE_LOCALECONV 1
#define HAVE_MEMCHR 1
#define HAVE_MEMMOVE 1
#define HAVE_MEMSET 1
#define HAVE_MKDIR 1
#define HAVE_MODF 1
#define HAVE_MUNMAP 1
#define HAVE_RMDIR 1
#define HAVE_SELECT 1
#define HAVE_SETENV 1
#define HAVE_SETLOCALE 1
#define HAVE_SOCKET 1
#define HAVE_STRCASECMP 1
#define HAVE_STRCHR 1
#define HAVE_STRCSPN 1
#define HAVE_STRDUP 1
#define HAVE_STRERROR 1
#define HAVE_STRNCASECMP 1
#define HAVE_STRPBRK 1
#define HAVE_STRRCHR 1
#define HAVE_STRSPN 1
#define HAVE_STRSTR 1
#define HAVE_STRTOL 1
#define HAVE_STRTOUL 1
#define HAVE_SYSINFO 1
#define HAVE_TZSET 1
#define HAVE_UTIME 1
#define SIZEOF_INT 4
#define SIZEOF_SIZE_T 4
#define HAS_BUILTIN_SYNC_ADD_AND_FETCH 1
#define HAS_BUILTIN_SYNC_SUB_AND_FETCH 1
#define HAS_BUILTIN_SYNC_VAL_COMPARE_AND_SWAP 1
#define HAVE_INOTIFY 1

configure: exit 1
I recommend to use github.com/rellla -> Frodo branch, as there should be the mali-thing fixed.
Which repo did you use?

rellla
Hi,

I used empatzeros repo. I will try again with your repo. Thanks a lot for all the effort you guys are putting into this project. Wink
  • 98(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Allwinner A10 : Is XBMC ported to MALI-400MP ?15