Linux EDEN 11.0 XBMCbuntu release
Since there is going to be some negative feedback in this thread I want you all to know that I have nothing but love for XBMC and the people that put in the hours coding for free. I have respect for what you guys do.. I have no background in coding at all so I know better than to just spout out BS about this software.

I came back to using a HTPC in 09 after having issues with PCH media streamers and never seeing bugs fixed. XBMC was a breath of fresh air and still is. Before EDEN 10.1 was perfect for me did everything I needed. All I really use my HTPC for is to watch my ripped movies and videos.

On release day of EDEN I was eager to give the new software a run from all the good things I have heard about it while being developed. I didn't get to try any of the betas because none were available until release for some reason. After messing around with EDEN on both of my HTPC's I am a little let down. Basic stuff that worked in 10.1 I am having issues with. Mind you all I do is install the program and go. I don't mess with files, I just add my network shares and I'm done.

Some basic stuff I have had issues with
1 - Installing XBMCbuntu doesn't seem to like HD tv's so I eventually found out about the 120 x 120 install option.

2 - Finding the right audio device in the settings so I could get audio through the optical output took forever.

3 - When I play some video files some times the audio won't work so I need to back out and play again. Seems to fix it. I don't know why..

4 - When a new file is added to my network folder XBMC refuses to see it unless I restart the HTPC. In 10.1 all I had to do is back out then open the folder again and it was available.

5 - I turn on my REVO from a cold boot and it won't respond to my WMC remote. How come this is happening all of a sudden? Works on my HTPC in the other room still?

6- When coming out of suspend sometimes the remote does work.

7 - Some video files crash XBMC and after reset the play fine.

When going through the Linux forum the first 10 pages of threads are from the last 4 days. I know there would be less threads if people read through the other ones and checked if their questions were already answered, but it sure seems like people are having issues with this version.

What I'm wondering is why we didn't have a beta version like Windows? The community could have given feedback on some of these issues and they wouldn't have been in this release. Is there any sort of update coming out in the near future soon?

I know I can go use something else, but I don't want to just pack up my bags and leave without saying anything. I would rather voice my concern for a piece of software I enjoy and try to help some how. Like I said before, this thread isn't to bash anyone on the team.

What can I do to help? Well I'm not a coder and I can't donate much money since I'm unemployed and selling my house. I can offer exactly what I just did. You guys need someone to test linux stuff I'm offering my services from a dumb consumer side of it.

Just to let you know. There was a Beta version. on the blog
(2012-04-03, 04:31)handbone Wrote: Just to let you know. There was a Beta version. on the blog

Yes you're right. I should have been a bit more specific. In all honestly that beta came out a month before final so..

(2012-04-03, 07:57)BORIStheBLADE Wrote:
(2012-04-03, 04:31)handbone Wrote: Just to let you know. There was a Beta version. on the blog

Yes you're right. I should have been a bit more specific. In all honestly that beta came out a month before final so..

Don't want to burst your bubble, but there were three betas and two release candidates leading up to the final release. I count that as five opportunities to test the various versions and report any bugs.
(2012-04-03, 08:44)Jimmer Wrote:

Don't want to burst your bubble, but there were three betas and two release candidates leading up to the final release. I count that as five opportunities to test the various versions and report any bugs.

I guess I wasn't sure what exactly XbmcBuntu was at that point then. My mistake...

Still doesn't change the fact that there are some issues with the final release.

(2012-04-03, 08:44)Jimmer Wrote:

They were not ready at the same time as the others and also the front page didn't do a great job at saying when they were ready.

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
OpenELEC.tv.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Quote:2 - Finding the right audio device in the settings so I could get audio through the optical output took forever.
Yeah, I just installed it on my main htpc and I am struggling to understand the logic, made more sense in v10.
To make things worse the audio mixer corrupted the asoundrc. After deleting the asoundrc I managed to set it up just fine!

To be fair, I didnt bother to read the wiki. I did test test the betas but only with HDMI connected and then I didnt have to touch the settings.
For the moment everything seem to work as expected.
Added another one to my list.

(2012-04-03, 21:30)darkscout Wrote: OpenELEC.tv.

They don't have their version of XBMC Eden up yet and no one knows when it will be released. Question.. So your saying these issues won't be in OpenELEC? I don't think so..

Well, compile it yourself. And no, those issues really won't be there. XBMCBuntu has required numerous amounts of tweaking and still isn't right (no navigation sounds) while OpenELEC worked out of the box. Same with remote.

4) You need to have it auto update. That's not an issue with anything.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
I found a pretty serious issue with the 'beta' back in December and it was left for 'post-eden'... I would think that something that made over 200 recording unwatchable would be a little more important than that.
(2012-04-04, 02:13)darkscout Wrote: Well, compile it yourself. And no, those issues really won't be there. XBMCBuntu has required numerous amounts of tweaking and still isn't right (no navigation sounds) while OpenELEC worked out of the box. Same with remote.

4) You need to have it auto update. That's not an issue with anything.

I have it set on auto update on it. I wouldn't have mentioned it if I didn't.

(2012-04-03, 21:30)darkscout Wrote: OpenELEC.tv.

You either work/host/spam for them right?

I've seen a good few posts from you and they consist of just that one line, its not useful at all.
(2012-04-03, 08:44)Jimmer Wrote: Don't want to burst your bubble, but there were three betas and two release candidates leading up to the final release. I count that as five opportunities to test the various versions and report any bugs.

That's somewhat debatably accurate, re: XBMCbuntu. XBMCbuntu Beta was only released when Beta 3 was released. So while the version of XBMC running in XBMCbuntu was Eden for Linux Beta 3, XBMCbuntu itself was only Beta 1 and no additional beta images were released by the Team before Final. As such, and particularly with regards to issues surrounding the installer, which is where XBMCbuntu primarily differs with XBMC for Linux, asking why there weren't additional Betas is at least a fair question.

Boris, I presume you have been around long enough to know your way around a log file. If you haven't already, I'd suggest posting a file (or a couple debug log files) on pastebin that show the different errors happening. With luck, several of those could be resolved by getting some dev eyes on the logs.
and if you want to play with some more bleeding edge stuff have a look at xbmcfreak's, it's our lab Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
EDEN 11.0 XBMCbuntu release1