Auto-updating Addons?
I'm new to XBMC, but it seems really obvious that XBMC needs to include the ability for addons and scripts to automatically be updated when they are changed on their respective repositories.

In particular I'm referring to any addons that allow for streaming of video from various websites, like CBS, NBC, Hulu, etc... The way that these websites stream their videos and the methods used by XBMC addons and scripts to acquire those streams is subject to constant change. The results in random scripts/addons just breaking all of the sudden. If there was an auto-updating feature it would allow scripts/addons to be automatically updated whenever someone fixes the broken addons and places them on the repository.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one that has thought of this. Is there any sort of plan for implementing something along these lines? I'm going to put together a dedicated HTPC XBMC box sometime soon but the idea of random addons breaking on me with no prior notice kinda sucks. Then having to go find the addon in the system preferences and update it stinks as well. Would be nice if it just did it automatically...
(2012-04-10, 07:56)Jakobud Wrote: I'm new to XBMC, but it seems really obvious that XBMC needs to include the ability for addons and scripts to automatically be updated when they are changed on their respective repositories.

In particular I'm referring to any addons that allow for streaming of video from various websites, like CBS, NBC, Hulu, etc... The way that these websites stream their videos and the methods used by XBMC addons and scripts to acquire those streams is subject to constant change. The results in random scripts/addons just breaking all of the sudden. If there was an auto-updating feature it would allow scripts/addons to be automatically updated whenever someone fixes the broken addons and places them on the repository.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one that has thought of this. Is there any sort of plan for implementing something along these lines? I'm going to put together a dedicated HTPC XBMC box sometime soon but the idea of random addons breaking on me with no prior notice kinda sucks. Then having to go find the addon in the system preferences and update it stinks as well. Would be nice if it just did it automatically...

This already done since Dharma. When a developer updates the add-on it will auto update.
If the add-on dev doesn't share these or doesn't update it that's out of our hands. Nothing we can do about that
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2012-04-10, 08:13)Martijn Wrote: This already done since Dharma. When a developer updates the add-on it will auto update.
If the add-on dev doesn't share these or doesn't update it that's out of our hands. Nothing we can do about that

But you have to enable "auto-update" - it is disabled by default.

In Confluence for example:
Go to System -> Settings -> Add-ons
Press <left> to focus the left side menu and enable "Auto Update"
My GitHub. My Add-ons:
(2012-04-10, 10:01)sphere Wrote:
(2012-04-10, 08:13)Martijn Wrote: This already done since Dharma. When a developer updates the add-on it will auto update.

Auto updates should be on by default....
(2012-04-10, 10:11)prae5 Wrote:

Auto updates should be on by default....

That is untill it updates to a broken version without you knowing. Then the reason would become clear why you have to turn on auto update Big Grin
Noli illegitimi carborundum

I'd like to see a per-addon update option or at least an option to disable the auto-update of the skin currently in use.

Ah it was hidden in that menu thing on the left. I hate that menu.

So addons are updated whenever a new version is on the repository that it was installed from?
(2012-04-13, 08:38)Jakobud Wrote: So addons are updated whenever a new version is on the repository that it was installed from?
Yes. (But repo requests are cached, so max 1 day after the new version of an installed addon is uploaded to the repo, you will get the update and it will be automatically installed)

My GitHub. My Add-ons:
6h
Hi

This may not be the appropriate place but I wanted to redirect you to my open question as I am desperate for help.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...id=1525663

It is the easy and best way. It will works for you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto-updating Addons?0