• 29(current)
Kodi/XBMC in the media? Post links here
(2017-04-09, 19:01)smitchell6879 Wrote: Express: Kodi TOTAL BAN - As UK tighten rules on 'pirate' boxes, here's how to spot a Kodi stream. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIw2N2T5zQ

They're not even trying anymore, are they?
Kodi Wants to Beat Piracy With Legal Content and DRM

https://torrentfreak.com/kodi-wants-to-b...rm-170409/
Hey, if Kodi enables the function to use DRM enabled addons while any other addon can still function, I'm game.

That said, I feel like even if DRM was possible, few content providors would get on board. Those companies have a whole elaborate branding to their interface and it's functions. You'd need a lot more flexibility in add ons in Kodi in general just to make brand compliant add ons.
drm is not something that belongs in kodi thats one hell of a rabbit hole one if they went down would likely result in anouther fork and further community spilt

I am really tired of reading the 'we don't support piracy' speil the reality is thats what KODI is used for more then anything despite intentions otherwise. and its not something you are going to prevent OR have any say in no matter what you do. go ahead implement drm somebody will fork it strip the drm out and continue on there merry way OR worse it will simply kill the the project from the amount of backlash you would get

ask your self what would appeasing the content gods you seemly worship so much do for the project they still would rather see kodi completely dead then give (legit user)userbase the time of day netflix and hulu amazon prime all run atop there own custom apis and app platforms anyway

this back and forth over piracy is what is killing kodi not piracy its self

so long as kodi is open source and you don't have a million dollars to vigorously sue everybody that infringes on your trademark and look like total douchebags in the progress

you are will contiune making the mistake of fighting a war you can't possibly win.

the solution is to stop fighting stop dedicating time to it and focus on making kodi the best media center it can be

the very cold reality is pirates win every single time you don't get a say you don't get a vote they will continue todo whatever they please period end of discussion
Based on this comment and comments in the article, I get the sense that people think implementing DRM means preventing users from watching content that doesn't have DRM. Anyone else get that sense?
Not sure what anyone would have against Kodi being able to play encrypted stream.
The alternative is just Kodi *not* being able to play encrypted streams...

Regarding "fighting a war we can't win", sure, and per se we don't care what anyone do with Kodi.
Now, if developing Kodi is not fun anymore because the forum is full of clueless people looking for freebies and that our work is thrashed in mud, up-to the point it could impact our everyday life, all of that for free, the alternative is just Kodi not being developed anymore.

When we said that piracy is killing Kodi, it was not sensationalism. There are less and less developers.
And don't dream about forks and such. Kodi is a very complicated matter out of reach of your everyday script kiddie.

If, as you say, it's a war we can't win, then everybody will loose (which will probably make the *actual* pirates, ie the one publishing streams behind file lockers, happy, as they'll get back their continuous stream of ad cash)

PS Note that "drm" as in "bad drm" is the impossibility to play videos/music you bought and installed locally due to technical locks.
We talk about playing streams as a service, here, ie Netflix and alikes, that you don't actually own but are given a "license to watch".
(2017-04-10, 09:36)natethomas Wrote: Based on this comment and comments in the article, I get the sense that people think implementing DRM means preventing users from watching content that doesn't have DRM. Anyone else get that sense?
Yeah. For the non-technicals, DRM is an umbrella that just means "anti-piracy".
(2017-04-10, 09:36)natethomas Wrote: Based on this comment and comments in the article, I get the sense that people think implementing DRM means preventing users from watching content that doesn't have DRM. Anyone else get that sense?

Hmmm possibly. It's another aspect that most general users never think about or perhaps understand so it's not a surprise that many will misunderstand.

There's at least one comment saying "What's DRM?" Smile
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
I remember reading an article a few years ago in which the author went on and on about how bad drm was, and then praised Netflix for being so easy. In the comments I said, "But netflix is heavily drmed. This makes no sense!" Needless to say, I was downvoted into oblivion.
Point has been proven again how much total retards that are out there that have zero clue what they are talking about Smile
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Will be interesting to see how this DRM thing in Kodi will go on and whether content providers will adopt this platform. I only have a limited perspective on the whole thing but I believe that the TV industry is largely dominated by money and contracts. Or why else can't we find Amazon Video via the Google Play Store on Android TV, but only on select devices?

The TV space is far from the "open" app believe that we all got so much used to in the mobile space. It might change eventually. Probably not today or tomorrow...
The bottom-line is that what happened to music some years ago will happen to videos.
Who still listen to radio for music (besides in their car, which is a radio niche) ?
Who will still watch "push" TV for movies/series in 5 years?
(2017-04-10, 10:47)Martijn Wrote: Point has been proven again how much total retards that are out there that have zero clue what they are talking about Smile

Why comment when I can just +1 this instead Smile
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
(2017-04-10, 15:14)jmh2002 Wrote:
(2017-04-10, 10:47)Martijn Wrote: Point has been proven again how much total retards that are out there that have zero clue what they are talking about Smile

Why comment when I can just +1 this instead Smile

It seems the world has shifted and a miracle has happened. At least in one part of the world.

https://tweakers.net/nieuws/123355/kodi-...ieden.html

Nearly zero negative comments and most would applaud some way of combining several subscriptions under one (Kodi) roof no matter if DRM is involved.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
what encrypted streams nobody watches encrypted streams though kodi
you if run kodi ontop of anouther os such is android or linux and then just plop shorts cuts to the native apps for hulu/netflix/prime whatever

the only thing it would be remotely useful for is 4k bluray playback and I keep my disks locked away and copys of the content in compressed format on my NAS
the entire point of a media center is that I don't need to get up off my couch to swap disks or fiddle with stupid blueray always on drm bs and just sit and watch my movie that I paid my hard earned dollar

the issue of piracy does NOT have a software solution it is the HIGHEST Fallacy to even consider it when there is so much overwhelming evidence to the contrary

the issue of piracy is a supply and demand issue. piracy is easier more convenient and has the kicking butt `benefit` of being "free"

and yes the way its worded sounds like kodi wants drm to prevent the use of 'unauthorized' addons or modifications ... the GPL is pretty dam clear about that and even if it wasn't unless you go completely closed source it doesn't take a experienced ninja coder to pull/revert code and recompile without even bothering to change the 'name'

the fools who ignore history are doomed to repeat it

the kodi folk really come across strong as scared shitless of what the big bad content company could do to your project and that means the Pirates and the people pushing stupid DRM schemes have won
if you poke around some of the shadier corners of the net people are outright mocking you for rolling over and saying please don't beat me master the kodi project has done nothing illegal or morally wrong all those streaming addons just point kodi to a server that provides the stream they don't even directly provide content
  • 29(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi/XBMC in the media? Post links here5