Gaming rig & htpc, good idea?
(2012-04-12, 20:44)reksveks Wrote:
(2012-04-12, 20:20)Ryoga79 Wrote: I wish there was a way that i could automate this with a system task. My goal for the HTPC is to never have to drop to desktop if i can avoid it (it's in my living room and doesn't have a keyboard/mouse hooked to it). Like, for example if a game gets loaded that isn't on the C drive, it caches it from D to C. Then later on a daily check is made that if a game hasn't been launched in X days, move it from C back to D, or something like that.

Although I plan to have a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, i think that would be pretty slick way of deciding the location of each games location, might look into whether there is any workaround.

@Andro, I am not sure how much a rush you are in but I assume or hope that the prices for the sandy-bridge cpu should fall with the upcoming release of the ivy-bridge cpu.

I was hoping to start getting together parts in the next few weeks... when are sandy bridge prices expected to drop? How significantly are we expecting?
HTPC: CPU | MoBo | GPU | Case & PSU | RAM |SSD
well, price will drop when Ivy Bridge will be released...
should be around JUNE....
if they dont change their minds,,,,
[/quote]

I was hoping to start getting together parts in the next few weeks... when are sandy bridge prices expected to drop? How significantly are we expecting?
[/quote]

According to Google, Ivy Bridge's release is scheduled for somewhere between the 23rd and the 29th of this month, depending on which site you choose to believe. Most likely initially it'll be an OEM release, with a wider drop next month, so you'll probably start seen fairly decent price drops around the mid to end of May.
(2012-04-12, 21:32)eskro Wrote: well, price will drop when Ivy Bridge will be released...
should be around JUNE....
if they dont change their minds,,,,

Looks like they pushed it up:

http://www.slashgear.com/ivy-bridge-tipp...-12222610/
woaaaaaaa, April 23rd, lets see if its true
(2012-04-12, 21:36)eskro Wrote: woaaaaaaa, April 23rd, lets see if its true

... something better is always lurking around the corner, and something is always about to get cheaper... grr tech shopping is a pain. Lol
One thing I have thought about when using a HTPC as a gamer would be to first use a insulated case. My Antec case has insulated sides and top. The P183 also does. No clear sides. Then conceal the case behind something in something, fake bookcase, furniture and only use 120 mm fans. Then you could run the dedicated graphics and I bet it would be silent. And no the GT430 would not be enough. The 7870 would do nicely or 7770, 550, 560
(2012-04-11, 22:25)Andro Wrote: Upon some looking at the wow forums they seem to be recommending more powerful gpus.. something like the Radeon 6870 or GeForce 560... and CPU: i5-2300...

My question now, will this be super loud? Obviously this will be way more than enough power under the hood for xbmc.

Would the integrated gpu in the I5-2300 be enough to run xbmc alone? Thinking I could start there and add 560 later. 1080p full rips. Just throwing some ideas out there...
Another question... considering this will only be connected to a lcd tv, what limitations will that put on me for graphics? I'm aware computer monitors have better pixel density, I don't want to build a machine with more gpu power than my display can take advantage of.
Basically if you're hooking it to a LCD tv, you should shoot for a graphics card that can run things well at 1920x1080, since most consumer level tvs you're going to buy aren't going to display anything above that. You'll probably actually save yourself some money that way, since you don't need to worry about getting a bangin' new card that's going to run something at 25,000x15,920, since your monitor's not going to display it anyway.

As for your previous question, the i5-2300 should run xbmc like a champ.
(2012-04-16, 22:49)Ryoga79 Wrote: Basically if you're hooking it to a LCD tv, you should shoot for a graphics card that can run things well at 1920x1080, since most consumer level tvs you're going to buy aren't going to display anything above that. You'll probably actually save yourself some money that way, since you don't need to worry about getting a bangin' new card that's going to run something at 25,000x15,920, since your monitor's not going to display it anyway.

As for your previous question, the i5-2300 should run xbmc like a champ.

Great, thanks for the input! Any suggestions on a gpu?

I'm strongly considering starting with a i5 and XBMCbunto then adding gpu and windows later this summer to start some gaming and emulators.
I am looking at the 560Ti, one of the better value Nvidia GPU though the ATI graphics card are supposed to be even better value for money however I am looking at 3D gaming and the Nvidia Software is supposed to be better for that purpose.

Also Nvidia seems to work better on Linux then ATI does
(2012-04-14, 06:27)Andro Wrote:
(2012-04-11, 22:25)Andro Wrote: Upon some looking at the wow forums they seem to be recommending more powerful gpus.. something like the Radeon 6870 or GeForce 560... and CPU: i5-2300...

My question now, will this be super loud? Obviously this will be way more than enough power under the hood for xbmc.

Would the integrated gpu in the I5-2300 be enough to run xbmc alone? Thinking I could start there and add 560 later. 1080p full rips. Just throwing some ideas out there...

Yes ..easily

(2012-04-11, 22:25)Andro Wrote: Obviously this will be way more than enough power under the hood for xbmc.
It's not just enough for XBMC, it'll playback 1080P, bitstreaming and some lighter games too.....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-04-17, 16:20)bluray Wrote:
(2012-04-11, 22:25)Andro Wrote: Obviously this will be way more than enough power under the hood for xbmc.
It's not just enough for XBMC, it'll playback 1080P, bitstreaming and some lighter games too.....

Now if it would only make me breakfast in the morning....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gaming rig & htpc, good idea?0