Skin causing huge memory leak!
Hey guys just noticed something kinda odd - when XBMC is minimized there is a huge memory leak. It goes from about 75 MB to several GB in less than 30 seconds. If XBMC is returned to focus, the memory consumption stops immediately. It doesn't matter if it's windowed or fullscreen. I've verified this does not happen when the skin is set to Confluence - only Metropolis. Any ideas?

EDIT - I found this thread that may be related.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...emory+leak
(2012-04-25, 20:00)Aenima99x Wrote: Hey guys just noticed something kinda odd - when XBMC is minimized there is a huge memory leak. It goes from about 75 MB to several GB in less than 30 seconds. If XBMC is returned to focus, the memory consumption stops immediately. It doesn't matter if it's windowed or fullscreen. I've verified this does not happen when the skin is set to Confluence - only Metropolis. Any ideas?

Are you using the Home2 (the "icon") style? And if so, are you hiding any of the home items?

There is a bug in the wraplist container that causes stuttering/slowdowns when items in the list are hidden. It may be related.

-j
Huh. Setting preloaditems to 0 fixed the flickering issue in the wraplist.

Aenima99x, assuming you're using the Home2 style, can you set it to 0 on yours (in Includes_Home2.xml) and see if it resolves the memory leak?

-j
(2012-04-25, 20:08)jingai Wrote:
(2012-04-25, 20:00)Aenima99x Wrote: Hey guys just noticed something kinda odd - when XBMC is minimized there is a huge memory leak. It goes from about 75 MB to several GB in less than 30 seconds. If XBMC is returned to focus, the memory consumption stops immediately. It doesn't matter if it's windowed or fullscreen. I've verified this does not happen when the skin is set to Confluence - only Metropolis. Any ideas?

Are you using the Home2 (the "icon") style? And if so, are you hiding any of the home items?

There is a bug in the wraplist container that causes stuttering/slowdowns when items in the list are hidden. It may be related.

-j
Huh. Setting preloaditems to 0 fixed the flickering issue in the wraplist.

Aenima99x, assuming you're using the Home2 style, can you set it to 0 on yours (in Includes_Home2.xml) and see if it resolves the memory leak?

-j

Nope, I'm using the default Home menu. No preloaditems in the Includes_Home1.xml. I do have Videos hidden from the menu, let me see if not hiding it has any effect.
Nope, having all menu items visible made no difference.

I can't reproduce it here...
-stoli-
Well, FWIW, you did help me find the flickering issue with Home2. I struggled with that one for hours before giving up Tongue

But as for your issue, I'm not able to reproduce it here. I've had XBMC minimized now for about 20 minutes and it's sat right around 100MB the entire time.

I'm using the official build of 11.0 on a MacPro running MacOSX 10.7 and the latest Metropolis from git.

Is there anything special about your setup you think might be pertinent so I can try to reproduce it?

-j
I'm wondering if it's something related to the OS....I've got XBMC installed on Ubuntu 12.04. Stoli what are you running?

Jingai - I'm running Metropolis git from the passion repo.
I've got an Ubuntu 11.10 system sitting right here. Lemme see if I can reproduce it. If not, I'll update to 12.04 and try again.

Are you using Unity or Metacity? With or without compiz?
It's running Unity with compiz.
Meh there's a bunch of unmet dependencies so instead of fetching them all by hand.. I'm just going to upgrade to 12.04. Which means I won't be able to check it out until tomorrow likely.

I do have a Debian unstable box at home though, so I can try it there too.
Thanks jingai, but please don't spend too much time on this. I'm really starting to wonder if it's a one-off issue on my box.
It gives me an excuse to update this machine anyway. Truthfully I probably wouldn't have otherwise done so for quite some time since it's not a machine I use very often heh.

It should be easy enough to test tomorrow. But the update is going to take longer than I'm going to be here tonight (at work), especially since it's a 2006 Mac mini Smile
I just did a quick test in Windows 7 x64 and after a couple of minutes I'm up to 700mb and still growing, so it's not nearly as bad as the OP and I can't say whether or not it's limited to this skin or if it's minimized or not, but it's definitely leaking.

Also, it seems pretty unreasonable that it's using 15% cpu on this quad core i7 3.66ghz for just cycling through fanart on the home screen while minimized

Edit: CPU usage is actually higher when minimized as well.
@sialivi -- can you remove (backup first!) your guisettings.xml and then try it using all default skin settings?
-stoli-
At home and looking at this now. A few observations:

* On my MacBook Air here, I get ~20% CPU usage idling on the home window. If I disable the RSS feed, that drops to 3-5%. You might try that and see if you get the same results.

* Minimized, XBMC is using 30% CPU.

* Confluence is showing the same CPU utilization, so I don't think that issue is specific to Metropolis.

* I don't see the memory leak on this machine either. It's been at 85-100MB for the last 10 minutes now while minimized.

I'm going to try my Debian box next, but.. is it possible either of you have a background script that has gone awry?

And, do either of you have the Watchlist script installed? I ask because that's the only script that Metropolis itself starts automatically on startup.

-j
Not seeing the issue on my Debian unstable box either with XBMC 11.0 official and Metropolis from the Passion repo. Memory usage has been at 130MB for 10 minutes while minimized.

CPU utilization on the Debian box (Phenom II 3GHz quad core) is similar to my MacBook Air: about 15% idling when window is visible, and 30% when minimized. Confluence matches that.

So, either something you guys have configured in Metropolis differs from my setup or you have an background service add-on that is interacting badly. Stoli's suggestion of removing guisettings.xml (and I'll echo his "back it up first!") is probably a good start.

-j

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Skin causing huge memory leak!0