Win Mediaportal TVServer WOL
Hi Margro et al. Thanks for your work on the PVR functionality for XBMC, it works pretty well.

I am using the XBMC v11.0 Eden PVR v2 build and v1.2.3.115 of TVServerXBMC plugin for Mediaportal TVServer 1.2.3 in a multi-seat setup. This server goes to S3 sleep when not in use after a period of time and I was wondering if it's possible to have an XBMC client wake up this server (WOL) before the PVR addin starts or is there any functionality in the PVR addin to periodically check to see if the server is available on the network. As it stands now, if I start XBMC before the server wakes up the PVR addin doesn't start and XBMC needs to be restarted when the server is online to properly function with Live TV. Maybe I missed a setting somewhere?

Regards,

Andy
WOL is not supported in the addon. If I remember correctly, there is a WOL xbmc addon that you could use.
Developer of the MediaPortal PVR addon and retired developer of the Argus-TV PVR-addon.
http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc
there is indeed. I believe it is under system > addons > programs

Problem is (in my case), my client starts first, and tells me no backends are enabled (because the server is still booting up from wol). I get this even after the backend is up. You need to disable and renable LiveTv to get it to work, or as an op says reboot.

Would be brilliant if XBMC could monitor if the backend is up and if so enable the PVR addon.
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
you just need to wake up your server from the client with this

http://lemigo.free.fr/wol/ (sorry it's french)

then delay the start of xbmc on the client with that

http://www.r2.com.au/page/products/show/startdelay

just the time your server needs to wake up and VOILA !!

or you can install windows homeserver2011 on your server , theire is an add-in that can do the same but easier

No need to add stuff into xbmc or margro's add-ins
margro Wrote:WOL is not supported in the addon. If I remember correctly, there is a WOL xbmc addon that you could use.

Margro, I'm using the Advanced WOL addon, problem is, as articulated by charlie0440, is that the PVR addon seems to look for the remote TVServer only when XBMC starts and errors out "because the server is still booting up from wol."

@salora: I think it would be great if the solution was included in the PVR addon as charlie0440 suggested:
charlie0440 Wrote:Would be brilliant if XBMC could monitor if the backend is up and if so enable the PVR addon
Or at the least the PVR addon itself could periodically poll the backend. The solution would then be truly cross-platform (I am deploying a mix of Windows and AppleTV systems) and wouldn't require unnecessary hacks or tweaks.
(2012-06-02, 16:45)andyss Wrote: @salora: I think it would be great if the solution was included in the PVR addon as charlie0440 suggested:
charlie0440 Wrote:Would be brilliant if XBMC could monitor if the backend is up and if so enable the PVR addon

how could it be?
you are asking that margro's plug-in send a sort of ping command to see if the server is online, if not to wake it up and wait
if yes to launch the pvr add-on.

it's a lot of complication and source of bug for margro imho.

I used wolcmd when my server was with Windows XP, now i'm using a plug in for WHS2011 to do that and it works perfectly.
I power my client computer, it wakes the server, wait 5sec to launch xbmc and everything plays nice.

You're asking margro to spend hours to find a way to do what you're asking, when there is a solution that will cost you 5 min !!!!!
(2012-06-02, 20:59)salora Wrote: how could it be?
you are asking that margro's plug-in send a sort of ping command to see if the server is online, if not to wake it up and wait

I used wolcmd when my server was with Windows XP, now i'm using a plug in for WHS2011 to do that and it works perfectly.
I power my client computer, it wakes the server, wait 5sec to launch xbmc and everything plays nice.

You're asking margro to spend hours to find a way to do what you're asking, when there is a solution that will cost you 5 min !!!!!

I guess it would be up to Margro if he thinks such a feature would be a positive benefit to the addon. Your solution is great @solara and I will probably use it on my Windows box. I was just looking for (and suggesting) a cross-platform solution because I and probably a lot of other users use a mix of devices and would love to see this functionality.
(2012-06-02, 20:59)salora Wrote: you are asking that margro's plug-in send a sort of ping command to see if the server is online, if not to wake it up and wait

Well it may not be feasible, I wasn't suggesting he implement wol, that is already usable in XBMC. I just suggesting something that only enables the plugin when the backend is online, like this:

while(ping.response==false){ //no reply
wait 30secs
ping.response = ping() //some method to test if backend is online
}
enable.addon()
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
Is there a way (command/script/etc) to restart the PVR addin?
Hi,

My first post on the forum! Nice to see that the PVR functions of XBMC is progressing!

I submitted some patches related to WOL to MediaPortal some years ago.

In MediaPortal, the PowerScheduler plugin wakes the TV server in a multiseat environment. This happens during startup of MP.The PS Plugin also makes sure that the TV server is kept alive as long as any client is active.

For reference;
http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/thread...ost-490033
http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/thread...ost-427517

Regards
/jonas

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mediaportal TVServer WOL0