• 40(current)
Release Universal Scraper for Music Artists
A big isse with artist scraping:

"Eclipse" search results with MusicBrainz:

The same search in KODI:

This happens alot, it turns chosing an artist into a guessing game.
Is it possible to include the additional info that the MB results show in brackets to the UAS results?
No, not possible now, but at least you can easily overcome on the big issue by adding an artist.nfo file into the artist folder with only the musicbrainz link of the correct artist...

Sent from my E5823
@olympia would it be possible to look at adding that information to help users descriminate between artists with the same name? What core changes would be needed to support it?

The NFO approach only works for album artists that have a unique common folder above all their songs, and I have encountered several situations this isn't possible. The other work around, of course, is to tag your music files with mbids.
Long long time ago the search results dialog returned <genre> tag as well from <GetArtistSearchResults> scraper function.
In these times the scraper populated exactly the wanted disambiguation data into this tag.

However, displaying the mentioned <genre> tag has been removed at some point of time; the reason for the removal was (if I remember correctly) that it made crazy the fuzzy results sorting algorithm Kodi has, consequently not the correct artist was coming out first in the search results in many cases, so during automatic scraping Kodi was auto-selecting the wrong artist.
Thanks for the long memory @olympia Smile

It sounds like the scraper could usefully get the disambiguation data as long we fix the sorting algorithm not to be upset by it. Find it a bit odd calling the Musicbrainz disambigultion comment a "genre" though, when it could be things like "former bassist with Journey and American Idol Judge" (from the MB examples), but guessing there is history there too.

If you have the time to look at the scraper side then I will have a look at what needs implementing in Kodi core, assuming that is where the sorting is happening. Pointers welcome. Smile
"genre" is just the name of the tag what has been displayed in the search results dialog. It has not been made specifically for Musicbrainz disambigultion comment, but I used it for this purpose in the latest times this still worked. By the way this was only an internal naming; as far as I remember this was not presented anywhere on that name on the GUI and it hasn't been stored anywhere either.

On the scraper side I could add this back in seconds... In fact this hasn't even been removed from the scraper, but currently not working due to layout changes. Anyhow as said, I can fix this any time very quickly.

Unfortunately I cannot help you with a pointer to core for the place where sorting is happening.
Sorting artwork preferences would be a nice feature.

I recently updated the artwork of a band in TheAudioDB, but when scraping info/artwork for them, the inferior artwork from fanart.tv gets scraped instead.
@olympia just wondering if the scraper could return artist sortname? I know Musicbrianz stores such a thing e.g. "Fitzgerald, Ella" for Ella Fitgerald. I'm implementing the option to sort by artist sort name rather than dispaly name. We can derive sort name from music file tags (ARTISTSORT/TSOP etc.) and from NFO but the online scraper could be another source.

Sorry but no idea where to look for scraper code, unless you would like to point me at it, but I am hoping this would be a minor change.

If the scraper returns <sortname> in the xml then I can make to core changes required to use it.
Question 

This is so confusing.
Why aren't the search results matching?
Why have some search results brackets behind them and some don't?

Huh
(2017-03-06, 22:32)VelvetKevorkian Wrote: This is so confusing.
Why aren't the search results matching?
Why have some search results brackets behind them and some don't?

Huh

If you turn on debug logging and look at your log I think you will see what query was sent to musicbrainz and what was returned from the service.

The better solution is to tag music with the artist Musicbrainz Id.

scott s.
(2016-07-13, 11:16)VelvetKevorkian Wrote: The 2 Alice Coopers
The only artist where this duplication occurs.
I ripped all CDs the same, tags are fine.
I cannot explain this.

But it might be because of this:
Yes I noticed this in my library as well. Apparently the band "Alice Cooper" dissolved in 1975, and all work produced by Alice Cooper (the frontman) since then is considered his solo career.

So for example, "School's Out" is by the original band, while "Poison" is a "solo" Alice Cooper song.

Looks like you may need to re-do some of the MBID tagging to get each album under the correct Cooper. Picard was pretty savvy to all this as it seemed to tag all my Alice Coopers correctly on the first try.

I have an unrelated question. Forgive me if this has been covered already as this is quite a lengthy thread. I see in the Universal Artist Scraper settings, I can select a source for Artist Bio, but theAudioDB is the only option available. Is there a way I can add additional sources in there? Some of my artists won't get a bio in the main artist info view (since they don't have one on theaudiodb.com) but they still get a bio in certain widgets/viewtypes, presumably because info is being pulled from somewhere else.
Yep there are 2 MBID's for Alice Cooper, one is the band and the other is the solo artist.
Hi @olympia

Now @DaveBlake's music artwork PRs have been merged, is there any chance of adding the new artwork to this scraper from TADB?

I guess its probably best to have them as options and disabled by default so not to waste peoples bandwidth who are not on the latest version.

Artist Landscape: strArtistWideThumb
Artist ClearArt: strArtistClearart
Artist ClearLogo: strArtistLogo
Artist Banner: strArtistBanner

http://www.theaudiodb.com/artist/111239

Code:
http://www.theaudiodb.com/api/v1/json/1/search.php?s=coldplay

Image Image
Hey @docwra when that PR has been merged. I.e. what version of the available windows nightly build I can test with?
Any Liea nightly from the last 2 months I think. I've been using the new types from my local artwork successfully in that time.

EDIT: Actually, how time flies... Smile 6 months ago!

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/13848
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/13101
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/13352
  • 40(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Universal Scraper for Music Artists9