OS X frodo alpha 2 no audio on certain formats
Hi, just wanted to say that between frodo alpha 1 and alpha 2, many of my audio formats stopped working. Can't confirm exactly, but flac, dts and dd stopped, but oddly dts-es seems to work. I read that the audio engine was totally changed, but was this between the alpha 1 and 2 or is there something else going on? Using Frodo for 10bit video support, so can't really go back.

As far as I can tell there is no audio signal at all either through the imac's speakers, my monitors with firewire, or my pre-amp with the coax. Again, alpha 1 seems to work fine.

I'm on osx 10.6.8 running audio out through a saffire pro 24. 2010 imac.

Thanks for any info.
Yep new audioengine was introduced in alpha2.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2012-06-26, 02:31)marthur71 Wrote: Hi, just wanted to say that between frodo alpha 1 and alpha 2, many of my audio formats stopped working. Can't confirm exactly, but flac, dts and dd stopped, but oddly dts-es seems to work. I read that the audio engine was totally changed, but was this between the alpha 1 and 2 or is there something else going on? Using Frodo for 10bit video support, so can't really go back.

As far as I can tell there is no audio signal at all either through the imac's speakers, my monitors with firewire, or my pre-amp with the coax. Again, alpha 1 seems to work fine.

I'm on osx 10.6.8 running audio out through a saffire pro 24. 2010 imac.

Thanks for any info.

Did you delete guisettings.xml after the update ?
You could redo your audio settings in XBMC (remove guisettings.xml if needed).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Hi guys, thanks for the response. I did as you (both) said and here's the results. DTS (in the few forms i have) and DD (mostly as aac) seem to work, as checked for passthrough, in its intended 5.1 glory. Flac audio gets downmixed to stereo and nothing I tried could get it back to where it was getting converted to DD. The only other thing that was different (that I could find) is in the audio settings in alpha 1 the audio output was set to the default out, which is my saphire pro, but in alpha 2, it was set to 'saphire'. So I have no idea what that means, unless the default output is what's getting the flac converted while 'saphire' directly doesn't. If that means anything to you then great, otherwise I guess I'm sticking with alpha 1 since many of my movies are in flac audio (uncompressed I guess is the idea). Wish my pre-amp could decode flac. Oh XBMC DOES recognize that it's a 5.1 flac audio source, for whatever that's worth. Playing with the speaker config usually causes a crash when I get to 3.1 or 4.0 or higher, it also effects the stereo signal, but I have no idea how, though I could probably figure it out if you thought it was relevant. I would assume any passthrough signal would use just a 2.0 setting though.

Hope this helps in the future, in the meantime back to alpha 1.

thanks again.
Oh one more thing: I'd love to use lpcm for all my channels (in alpha2), but I'm running a decent distance, which makes outputting all those signals and cables from my saphire pro problematic. A signal hdmi cable is much easier. (i use a coax audio + video to hdmi converter in case you're wondering why it's a coax audio output)
Could you get us that crashreporter log please? (the one when switching speaker configuration). Beside that a xbmc.log with debugging turned on when playing a movie with FLAC would be nice too.
Ok I have both the crash log and a debug log with flac enabled. What should I do with them? Send them to you? Seem a bit long to post here.
Ok just fyi, I just opened a flac movie ran through the audio out 2.0 to 7.1 and got a crash, so the debug with the flac and the crash are from the same session. Also I think it caused a finder crash as well, would that be helpful?

(2012-06-28, 13:06)marthur71 Wrote: Ok I have both the crash log and a debug log with flac enabled. What should I do with them? Send them to you? Seem a bit long to post here.
Ok just fyi, I just opened a flac movie ran through the audio out 2.0 to 7.1 and got a crash, so the debug with the flac and the crash are from the same session. Also I think it caused a finder crash as well, would that be helpful?

Post them on http://pastebin.com/ and put the links here.
Ok opening the flac and causing a crash:
Crash log: http://pastebin.com/uf4pXEsd
XBMC log: http://pastebin.com/Nev386rd

And the finder crash log, which actually happened the previous time I opened XBMC. Running through the audio output format (2.0 to 7.1 twice) I noticed a massive increase in CPU usage plus the finder crash at the same time XBMC crached: http://pastebin.com/TH3rQdTP

Hope this helps, if I grabbed the wrong thing let me know.

Thanks again.
could you cut me a sample of that flac and upload it to dropbox or so?
Ok I demuxed the 6 channel flac out, which is 1.32 gigs, I do not know how to cut out a sample, at least with flac, any suggestions? Also I've never used dropbox. Do you want me to make an account to share or can i do this without me actually having dropbox? Sorry, don't really do the whole social media and sharing.
mhhh i thought you have a music flac only. If it crash in a movie including flac you don't need to demux it for me. I basically need 50mb of that media which crashes on your side for reproducing it here. You can cut off the first 50mb of that movie by going into a terminal and do:

dd if=moviefile.mkv of=50mbsample.mkv bs=1M count=50

This will cut the first 50mb of moviefile.mkv into 50mbsample.mkv.

Have you any other possibility to upload that 50mb snippet? I just used dropbox for an example...
Sorry about not getting a file, birthday + july 4th got me distracted. Will try to get you one, but thought I'd wait for the july monthly build and see how I can break it. Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
frodo alpha 2 no audio on certain formats0