• 3(current)
Shuttle XS35GT-V3 - fanless, AMD 7410m, ATOM D2700
(2012-07-15, 06:45)bossanova808 Wrote: I *am* the OP so I know what I meant.
I know....you want our opinion on the best "ready made" fanless HTPC in your OP, and now you want to compare it to your own DIY HTPC.......

(2012-07-15, 06:45)bossanova808 Wrote: The A6 kills it in the sense of total performance - CPU passmark of 2000+ versus 800ish I think. That's all I meant. From a video perspective, much the same, but for the xbmc gui the A6 will kill it in comparison. I'm no expert but I have played with a few atoms and they are invariably sluggish. The A6 most certainly isn't.
Atom shouldn't be compared to AMD APU......

(2012-07-15, 06:45)bossanova808 Wrote: Sure you can CPU render with an i7 (or even an i3) but there are many who don't consider intel up for the job 24p wise, but I've never tried them so I have no idea really, just going on the negative hearsay there.
You might want to read up on it further......here are some newer threads on Intel.....

New build, looking for input

Assassin's Intel iGPU XBMC HTPCs (With Video)

Help on replacement build

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Which HDMI version does the XS35GT-V3 have? 1.3 or 1.4a?

The Shuttle specs page isn't totally clear:

Quote:Support for up to 2 simultaneous displays:
1) Digital HDMI™ 1.4a, max. resolution: 1920x1200
2) Analog D-Sub VGA, max. resolution: 2048x1536

Quote:Connectors
HDMI v1.3 digital video and audio output
D-Sub/ VGA analog video ( 15 pin)
I e-mailed Shuttle for clarification and this is their response:

Quote:The HDMI is specified as 1.4a,
but in fact the CPU performance is too low to generate
the 3D effects which are promised with the 1.4a-spec.
But it no problem to play normal Blu-ray content at 1080p.
Sorry for confusion.

Now I'm even more confused since the specs are similar to a Zotac ID80, which I own, and that plays 3D 1080p MKVs fine.
temperature are as follows idle
CPU 72 C degrees
GPU 56 C degrees
HDD 39 C degrees

temperature with my favourite avatar 1080p (30gb)
CPU 76 C Degrees
GPU 61 C Degrees
HDD 39 C degrees

i got temps for
TZ01 27C
TMPIN0 67C
TMPIN1 75C

what are they?
there are some comments on lack of power from the cpu, in my opinion youve missed the point of this machine.
for me the power CONSUMPTION for a 24/7 machine is vital, now max output of 25W for me is seriously fantastic. An A6 APU at max load is about 80-90W (correct me if im wrong).
remember 4W when idle.. fantastic piece of kit
now its undeniable that this machine performs the role of HTPC. and im not stating it will do much else, but it WILL do 1080p easily, and general websurfing etc.

the fact that its silent and inexpensive is an added bonus.

for those who value, a simple and silent HTPC that is cost effective to purchase and run, this machine will perform your needs.
If your after more grunt (e.g. gaming etc) its not for you
Thx for your feedback Bobo, I wanted to know a bit more, but that's good enough for me. (but if you have more to say please do :p)
On my wayto buy it now.
And as you said it, my goal is to use it as a pure and simple, discreet, compact, nice design, HTPC, nothing else. And it seems it's going to perfom brilliantlySmile

Thx again Smile
(2012-07-18, 11:49)jharryone Wrote: Thx for your feedback Bobo, I wanted to know a bit more, but that's good enough for me. (but if you have more to say please do :p)
On my wayto buy it now.
And as you said it, my goal is to use it as a pure and simple, discreet, compact, nice design, HTPC, nothing else. And it seems it's going to perfom brilliantlySmile

Thx again Smile

no worries! just remember i had the same issue on both... use one stick of ram then do the bios update... then its flawless
let me know what you think
And does it display 3D or not?

The temps are fantastic, my Zotac id80 gets hotter and that one has a fan inside and no hdd (ssd)!

(2012-07-18, 07:59)bobobobo51 Wrote: temperature are as follows idle
CPU 72 C degrees
GPU 56 C degrees
HDD 39 C degrees

temperature with my favourite avatar 1080p (30gb)
CPU 76 C Degrees
GPU 61 C Degrees
HDD 39 C degrees

i got temps for
TZ01 27C
TMPIN0 67C
TMPIN1 75C

what are they?

i dont have a 3d tv so i cant answer that Sad
Upgraded my older XS35GT to the V3 for gigabit and it runs like a champ. I'm actually going to take the old one and set it up wall mounted next to the hot tub!
(2012-07-18, 15:53)Schweino Wrote: And does it display 3D or not?

I will test this tonight and post back. The shuttle is in my bedroom but I'll connect it to our main TV
(2012-07-20, 01:18)longsh0t Wrote:
(2012-07-18, 15:53)Schweino Wrote: And does it display 3D or not?

I will test this tonight and post back. The shuttle is in my bedroom but I'll connect it to our main TV

That would be great, thanks a lot!
Has anyone used this successfully with openelec yet?
Played back some 3D SBS movies and they played back just fine. My TV does the rest of the conversion but I didn't notice any stutter or lag. Played Captain America and John Carter. To be clear, I'm running gigabit throughout my house but I'm not sure if it's the NIC or the new CPU that is making the difference.

If there are any additional tests you want me to try just let me know.
Good to know, thanks for testing!
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shuttle XS35GT-V3 - fanless, AMD 7410m, ATOM D27000