Hard Code Video settings
Hi Again!
I just bought a 15' vga cable for my XBMC. When I plugged it in and turn on the system, video reverts to 640x480, and no better options. If I shutdown and boot with the original cable, I get my regular 1400x1050. If after that boot, I swap the cable to the 15' one, it stays at 1400x1050. Huh Is there any way to tell the system to force the output to 1400x1050? Somehow with this new cable is autosensing differently, and I don't know what to do.

Thanks!

Hobbyboy
Have you tried that 15' cable on other systems to see if you have the same problem? If so, there may be issues with the quality of the cable. Was it an inexpensive generic cable or a high-quality, pricier model? Is the diameter of the 15' cable itself thinner than that of the original monitor cable?
(2012-08-04, 02:21)artrafael Wrote: Have you tried that 15' cable on other systems to see if you have the same problem? If so, there may be issues with the quality of the cable. Was it an inexpensive generic cable or a high-quality, pricier model? Is the diameter of the 15' cable itself thinner than that of the original monitor cable?

Yea, it is very cheap and thin. I didn't try it on any other system. It just stinks that if I boot from the other cable, then swap it, its the right resolution.
You could try and create an xorg.conf file and specify the desired modelines for 1400x1050 and see if the system can be coaxed into this resolution when booting with the long cable in place.

These guides might be helpful if you wish to try this:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/create-a-x...-file.html
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution
15 foot rgb (vga) cable would require a booster to compensate voltage drop over that distance.

Usually recommended max length without a booster is 10 foot or less, but cable would need to be well shielded and a heavy cable.

Also you'd have to realize that ddc signals are sent back to your computer for it to identify resolutions, probably the reason why when you boot with the 15 foot it reverts to 640*480. (ddc signals give edid info etc).
Media Companion Dev.
Media Companion - Kodi / XBMC - Media Companion

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hard Code Video settings0