TIME SENSITIVE: We need your help to fill out the XBMC PVR wiki page
(2012-09-29, 04:15)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2012-09-28, 17:33)dushmaniac Wrote: I'm very much against adding howto's for oscam and such on our own wiki.

Is that the pirating one? I'm not familiar with the 'cam stuff.

From my limited knowledge oscam is great (arguably the best) for extracting keys (rsa encryption) from smart cards (for a legally paid service) and decrypting the stream.
This can be a fully decryption solution running locally on one machine, feeding in encrypted stream from dvb card and feeding out decrypted stream to a pvr backend which streaming to clients live channels, manage recording and etc...

The problem is that oscam can also act as server and as client.
As a server it can be used to share keys with other machines, and as a client it can use keys generated by a server, hence the legality.
(2012-09-29, 18:55)dhead Wrote:
(2012-09-29, 04:15)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2012-09-28, 17:33)dushmaniac Wrote: I'm very much against adding howto's for oscam and such on our own wiki.

Is that the pirating one? I'm not familiar with the 'cam stuff.

The problem is that oscam can also act as server and as client.
As a server it can be used to share keys with other machines, and as a client it can use keys generated by a server, hence the legality.
exactly. there are legal options available, without the need for a softcam and it's fine with me to link to these on the wiki, or discuss them here. softcams aren't legal as far as i know (that's why there's a sticky about it)
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
I'm happy to make a start on this right now, just tell me exactly what we want, ie. tvheadend setup and configuration, or just xbmc pvr setup and configuration. Also I'm not sure where we are at with the backend add-ons moving, I have been using opdenkamps ubuntu repo for xbmc and tvheadend. I haven't had any experience with other backends. Although I have run multiple macines openelec in the past also, but I think thaty should be on openelecs wiki not xbmc's. Perhaps a referring to openelec as a straight forward option would be a good idea though.
As a complete n00b with my Ceton InfiniTV4 PCIe card coming in a few days, I'm really excited to see that XBMC is embedding PVR support. One of the things I have been reading about and preparing for is expecting to use Remote Potato to schedule Media Center recordings of live television, and MCEBuddy to compress them, sort them, keep the ep data, etc, and render them ready for viewing through XBMC.

Will the PVR feature in Frodo make any of that unnecessary? I have researched for hours but I don't know the full answer yet to be honest. So one thing I would really appreciate seeing on the wiki page is a more entry-level "here's what you need to know about PVR functions in XBMC." And maybe say something there about the definition of a PVR "Back End", when the XBMC PVR would be able to record shows and when it couldn't (copy freely, copy once, do not copy), and what hardware it can interface with directly to provide services, if any. I don't really understand the distinction between frontend/backend and, for instance, why I think I might end up needing to install something like Media Portal and whether or not that would be the same as what I described above... honestly, the discussion here about PVR stuff has confused me a bit, but only because y'all are in the midst of transition no doubt. Not a criticism, please don't misunderstand. Smile

Anyway, a helpful step by step for the beginner would be dandy. I have found Milkman's complete guide and am downloading that as we speak. From what I have seen of that, it seems that something like that content would be great on the wiki.

Thanks for listening, and cheers!
Just updated the wiki page, this time added some compile instructions. They may/or may not be complete, I just copied what was in the README file on the pvr addons repo for Linux and Windows.

I know there are places where people are hosting compiled versions of the addons but wasn't sure if any of these was "official" as of yet, if anyone knows anything about this please add that information as well.

The only major instruction set that appears to be left are configuring the Live TV section of XBMC once the addons are installed. This piece would probably work best with some screenshots.
Very nice!

I believe that nightly builds now include compiled PVR add-ons for each platform.
For those who are wondering what we should or should not include, just think of it as if you were explaining to a friend how to set this up. If there's a point where you would tell your friend "to look up details on your hardware go to this site" then to that with the XBMC wiki. Don't worry too much about covering everything as much as just putting enough on there for new people to understand how to (somewhat) easily set this up. As such, focus on set-ups that are typical and easy to use (PVR and hardware wise) and if you have time, then go more detailed.
(2012-10-01, 16:09)Ned Scott Wrote: Very nice!

I believe that nightly builds now include compiled PVR add-ons for each platform.

That would be great. Can anyone confirm if this should be happening? I installed a nightly build from Oct 1 (Windows) and didn't see anything in the addons for PVR clients, and still get the "need pvr addon" message when trying to enable live tv from a new install. If clients are going to be bundled with the install I'll add it to the wiki page.
(2012-10-01, 16:09)Ned Scott Wrote: Very nice!

I think the OSX builds are the only ones that include PVR add-ons, and those are only from the opdenkamp/xbmc-pvr-addons repo. The Windows builds do not and according to earlier posts by dushmaniac will not be included in the future (unless that has changed.)
XBMC PVR Addon Unofficial Builds for Frodo Nightly Builds.
http://www.dotnetdevelopers.net/xbmc
(2012-10-02, 14:56)wileecoyote Wrote: [quote='Ned Scott' pid='1203632' dateline='1349100548']
The Windows builds do not and according to earlier posts by dushmaniac will not be included in the future (unless that has changed.)

Can someone confirm for me what I should expect or not expect from Frodo on Windows regarding PVR? Will you not release PVR functionality for Windows builds at all or will it be available through optional downloads?

Seems I got ahead of myself. OS X PVR add-ons got enabled in nightlies, then later iOS got enabled, but the other platforms haven't been enabled yet. They will as things progress, but we like to avoid giving ETAs.
I compiled XBMC with PVR addon and Tvheadend, with the sources from 30/9 on Ubuntu 12.10 Beta2.
It is working fine.
I do not know if this is the correct way, but these are the steps I made:

- git clone git://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git

- git clone git://github.com/opdenkamp/xbmc-pvr-addons.git
- in xbmc-pvr-addons I made the following
- ./bootstrap
- ./configure --prefix=/home/user/xbmc
- make install

- In xbmc I compiled and installed with
- ./bootstrap
- ./configure
- make -j4
- sudo make install

- Then I went back to xbmc-pvr-addons and made
- ./configure
- make zip
- I got 6 zip archives in xbmc-pvr-addons/addons. I unpacked pvr.hts-linux-x86_64.zip and copied pvr.hts to /usr/local/share/xbmc/addons to replace the existing one.

- git clone https://github.com/tvheadend/tvheadend.git
- in tvheadend I compiled and installed with
- ./configure
- make
- sudo make install

After configuring Tvheadend and XBMC it worked fine.
Anyone want to fill out the settings page for PVR? Settings/PVR (wiki)

As you can see, this is similar to the other Settings (wiki) pages for XBMC. Even for obvious settings, this is a good place to explain anything special about various settings, in addition to what they actually do. If a specific setting needs more explanation than would normally "fit" in it's spot, feel free to add a "See also" link or whatever to a page/section on the PVR guide or a new page (or even a subpage of Settings/PVR (wiki) such as Settings/PVR/Tacos (wiki)). See the other Settings pages for examples of how we already do this.

Now, how does this work with us making a PVR guide and yet we have this separate PVR settings page? All settings, regardless if there is an associated guide or not, get documented as a sub page of Settings (wiki), but we can replicate the entire page, a sub section, or a specifically marked section, onto another page. We do this using a feature called Labeled Section Transclusion (LST).

For example, let's say you're writing a guide and you want to show all the settings for Settings/PVR#General (wiki) in the same page. To "paste" it into your page simply use this tag: {{#lsth:Settings/PVR|General}} (the "h" stands for "header"). Everything under the "General" header on the page "Settings/PVR" will be included where you placed that tag.

Let's say you don't want to include the entire section, but just want to include a specific setting. You can mark off sections using the tags <section begin="section label 1"/> and <section end=section label 1"/>. The reason for the odd formatting of these tags is to allow for over-lapping tags. Then anything marked in that section would be "pasted" by using this tag: {{#lst:Settings/PVR|section label 1}} (notice that we don't have "h" in the tag, because we're not using a "header" but just a tagged section).

By doing this we don't have to repeat the same text over and over, and the text is updated on all pages by editing it in one place.

You can also use the images by themselves, or make a new image and crop something specific by uploading a new image file (see the sidebar "toolbox" for the upload forum link).
I started off a PVR FAQ based on my limited knowledge of the subject. Would appreciate it if others could jump in and complete

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PVR#PVR_FAQ
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Some more settings pages to fill out. Same idea as here

Add-on:ForTheRecord PVR client (wiki)
Add-on:MediaPortal PVR Client (wiki)
Add-on:Njoy N7 PVR Client (wiki)
Add-on:Tvheadend HTSP Client (wiki)
Add-on:VDR VNSI Client (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TIME SENSITIVE: We need your help to fill out the XBMC PVR wiki page1