New Setup: Backend (LiveTV, Timeshift) to Multiple Frontend & IPTV Devices.
Information 
OK,
Where to start.....?

Im new to this whole backend / frontend thing Tongue but I have setup networks and very much into satellite and have configured dreamboxes / VU+ boxes and even servers with oscam / cccam, etc... so not a complete newbie Big Grin

I will try and outline what I woud like to do and list hardware I plan on purchasing but would much appreciate some input from you more experienced users!

Backend:
I am currently looking at a couple of Dell Poweredge servers either 2x dual core, 4gb ram etc.. or a slightly more expensive 2x quad core, 8gb ram etc..

In this I will put in either a dual or quad satellite pci card. ( will probably go for the higher spec server and a quad satellite card.)

Software:
MythTV or TVHeadend? (I have read that there are a couple of other backend software such as: VDR... but from reading it seems that MythTV or TVHeadend is the solution im after)
Which would you recommend?

Softcam:
I will be looking to utilise my exisiting sky card to decode premium channels so believe I will have to setup sasc-ng (oscam, cccam), I have a few smargo's laying around & I have setup oscam/cccam before so that part should not be too hard.

Frontend:
Each bedroom will have an Android TV box which is capable of running XBMC & IPTV and will be connected via Cat6 into the local network.

Live TV QUESTION: I would like for these to be able to timeshift / pause & record.. if possible... would these frontend's record onto there own storage or record onto the backend storage?)

VOD QUESTION: Is it possible to host media on the backend so that the frontends could select and play media?

IPTV:
Now I would also like to setup a system so I could stream multiple channels over the internet to an IPTV capable device, mainly my iPad / iPhone but would also like to install a IPTV box in my holiday home so I can watch BBC etc.. without the massive dish required Wink

Due to having limited upload speed, I would probably be looking to utilise one of those stream providers which re-stream what you stream to them.... something like dacast.com? if possible.

Hardware QUESTION: woud I need additional hardware for this type of IPTV setup? like an encoder? or can MythTV / TVHeadend take care of this?

If someone could help me answer the above questions and if the setup im looking to achieve is possible utilising MythTV TVHeadend

Thanks for your time!
Quote:Live TV QUESTION: I would like for these to be able to timeshift / pause & record.. if possible... would these frontend's record onto there own storage or record onto the backend storage?)
Looks like timeshifting got merged into XBMC frodo as of oh 10 minutes ago Big Grin (Thanks Margo, Lars and everyone else). Don't expect it to be bug free, it will only work if your backend supports it. You will have to compile this yourself or download a nightly build someone else has compiled - compiled this evening onwards.

I use VDR and recordings are saved to the backend, which I assume is the same same for all backends.

Quote:VOD QUESTION: Is it possible to host media on the backend so that the frontends could select and play media?
yes if you have set up network shares

Quote:IPTV:
Now I would also like to setup a system so I could stream multiple channels over the internet to an IPTV capable device, mainly my iPad / iPhone but would also like to install a IPTV box in my holiday home so I can watch BBC etc.. without the massive dish required Wink

Due to having limited upload speed, I would probably be looking to utilise one of those stream providers which re-stream what you stream to them.... something like dacast.com? if possible.
I can remotely access my VDR backend via a webpage or from my android phone no probs (just need a decent Internet connection). I use a VPN but I guess the following would be fine:

If you allow your backend to be remotely accessed/shared (if required, it is on VDR) and your internet connection is fast enough both ends, no reason why you can't have an xbmc device in your holiday home and configure the PVR addon their to use your backends external IP and have port forwards defined on your router. It should work

Quote:Hardware QUESTION: woud I need additional hardware for this type of IPTV setup? like an encoder? or can MythTV / TVHeadend take care of this?
dunno, I don't with VDR, just require an additional plugin
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
Thank you for answering my questions, much appreciated. Hopefully someone can shed some light on the IPTV stuff.

VDR... yavdr.org ? is this what you are refering to?

Thanks again.
yes, I use the yavdr PPA

ps I just editted my post a bit so might be worth re reading

Edit: There is a link in my sig on how to set most of that up if your interested

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
Hi, Thank you for getting back to me.

After further reading, would I require a graphics card? if yes is there anything specific that the graphics card would need (support wise) and again what sort of spec should the graphics card be?
The servers I have been looking at have the following onboard: Graphics Card: Embedded ATI ES1000 with 16MB memory

Thanks
For a backend server no.

XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
For timeshifting MythTV is your only choice. TVH don't support timeshifting.

TVH has support for softcam, you don't need to mess with sasc-ng.

But i would think that timeshift is more important than the problems sasc-ng can give you.
(2012-10-11, 15:00)raptorjr Wrote: For timeshifting MythTV is your only choice. TVH don't support timeshifting.

TVH has support for softcam, you don't need to mess with sasc-ng.

But i would think that timeshift is more important than the problems sasc-ng can give you.

Are you sure. I thought I read on git that fernetmenta was working on it for the vnsi Plugin ?

XBMC 3 Raspb Pi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Setup: Backend (LiveTV, Timeshift) to Multiple Frontend & IPTV Devices.0