• 36(current)
[FRODO release] Skin Widgets
(2013-09-11, 19:07)kreeturez Wrote:
(2013-09-11, 13:39)Martijn Wrote: android doesn't work. not my problem
Errr, ok then: where should we seek a solution? Is it something thats changed in Gotham? Should we open a ticket? Or should we query with someone else?

Wait till it's fixed. Nothing can be done about it. Ticket won't help either
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Hi

Regarding the Skin Widgets error popping up on my Ubuntu / XBMC v12.2 HTPC, that I reported the other day, XBMC V12.2 on my Apple iMAC has started doing it as well now!

I don't use XBMC on this MAC that much and I have not installed a PVR Client on that one and I haven't installed any add-ons or anything on this XBMC installation for months, so sure its nothing I have installed or changed to make this Skin Widgets error now appear, where it was working OK previously. I can grab an XBMC log file off this iMAC if it might help?

Many thanks.
Hello

I turned on debug logging in XBMC on the iMAC, I opened and closed XBMC three times and each time the error for service.skin.widgets was shown. Please see debug log file on the link below:

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=58489

Many Thanks
Hi Martijn,

I made a patch which enables a setting for ordering the recent episodes/movies by the release date rather than the date it was added to the library - it is based on the idea of cruzannavy (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174013). The addon will then use the sorting call
Code:
'%s "sort": {"order": "descending", "method": "year"}
instead of
Code:
'%s "sort": {"order": "descending", "method": "dateadded"}

Posted a pull request on github
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

won't be added. sorry
May I ask why?
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

Don't like to do it, but I'm bumping this.
Could you explain why it doesn't get added? I specifically didn't change the main code, there is just an extra (GUI-)setting which enables the sorting by airdate. I tested it with quite a few series/episodes and it seems to be accurate. So I can't figure out the reason why this doesn't get added :/
(Don't get me wrong, I don't want to be demanding here - I'd simply like to see the change because it seems to be a feature often requested. But if you explain as to why this won't be added, I won't pursue this any further and just leave it at that)

Thanks in advance!

It makes no sense to me to order Recently Added items by anything other than the order they were added.
Let me give you an example as to why I think this might be useful:
I recently started watching the series Homeland. I got every episode of the two seasons available and added them to the XBMC library. Now, when opening XBMC, "Recent Episodes" only lists Homeland, but in the morning a few episodes of already tracked shows aired (due to my time zone I say "morning", because they air around 3am in my timezone). Now - I know that Homeland is an unwatched series and I'll catch up with it - but I have to do it later because the episodes are quite long and I don't have so much time. But I still want to be able to select the episodes which _aired_ recently, so that I can quickly select them from the homescreen. Otherwise I now have to go to every entry of the shows that aired and select the desired episode - a procedure which takes, compared to selecting from the widget, a lot of time. For me it makes much more sense to order by the date they were aired than by they date they were added.
This is even more true when you add a new series with a lot of seasons (The Office (US) is an example with 9 seasons and over 200 episodes; I recently added it, never watched it before and I marked every episode of the series as watched just so they would not show up in the widget any longer and I could track my regular shows like normal instead of clutering the widget with every single episode of the new series. That of course complicated my tracking of the series, because I had to remember where I was the last time I watched it (or check trakt for what I watched last))

And because I saw this request by a lot of users, I think there are a lot of users out there who agree with that.
And because of that I think it is valuable to add the option. My changes don't change the default behaviour, they simply give the user the option to change the ordering to their liking - and seeing that this has been requested a few times, I don't see any reason why not to add this.

Sorry but i agree with Hitcher. I don't see the added value.
I also disagree that you say "a lot of users" asked for this. I read the forum closely so i know this for sure.
As said if you find this useful you are free to add it to your local setup but i don't see the need to add this especially not under the "recently added" label which is obviously wrong. It would make more sense if it was added as a new label recently aired but then again there's already another script for that called "tv show next aired"
@Martijn
Can you say why you don't want to add "refresh on screen wake up" for MySQL shared database users?
(2013-09-30, 13:31)T800 Wrote: @Martijn
Can you say why you don't want to add "refresh on screen wake up" for MySQL shared database users?

there's already one "return to home screen".
That requires navigating around and then returning to the home screen just to refresh. The best thing about skin widgets (imo) is not having to go anywhere because it's all on the home screen.
I don't use skin widgets on the bedroom HTPC because it's never up to date. I could navigate around and come back to the home screen but I might as well go the show itself if that is the case.

I can understand you not wanting to add certain things to skin widgets so it doesn't get blown up and over complicated from a users pov. This change however would in theory make it completely compatible with shared databases and possibly even work when upnp gets fully integrated as a MySQL replacement.
I'm not going to pretend to know what sort of work is involved for you to do this but it would make us shared database users very happy indeed! Big Grin

i'd rather implement it in a totally different which is currently on only paper/mind.
after some proper testing at home i might release it to the public.
It seems to me that the functionality that HenryFord is proposing is similar to the functionality that I proposed on page 51 (perhaps not by method, but instead by by the final result)

I see that there is definite desire here by developers not to alter the AddOn away from its core function of 'Recently Addded', and I can certainly understand and appreciate this.

However, given the way that I think most people use recently added for TV Shows (ie: to display the latest new episodes for this week) I can also understand and appreciate that it could be useful functionality to be able to filter out some of what is shown in the Recently Added Widget.

So, this is not so much a change in how the items are ordered, but more so a change in what is displayed. For example Recently Added already does this by having the option to filter out episodes that are marked watched, and this is a great option to have.

For this purposes of this discussion the biggest item to be able to filter out would be an entire new TV show that has just been added, since it fills up the recently added list with dozens of episodes which are not of very much value to appear in the widget, and forces the items of value (the week by week episodes), off the list.

My earlier suggestion was ridiculed and I was told that it was ridiculous. Ok, perhaps it wasn't correct, I am not a programmer or coder.

However, it doesn't change the fact that the above described situation does exist, and when it happens, unfortunately it does devalue the usefulness of the Recently Added Widget when using it to be able to easily see the 1 or 2 episodes (per show) that are added on a week by week basis.

Smile
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
  • 36(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[FRODO release] Skin Widgets8