• 52(current)
WIP Stereoscopic 3D support for half/full SBS, over/under, etc
(2014-01-07, 18:07)wgstarks Wrote:
(2014-01-07, 17:59)dennis Wrote: Hi Pavel

I'm writing the addon for Panasonic Viera TV. Right now it changes the stereoscopic mode on the TV based on the file name.
It's not optimal and I as well would rather see a event based function for this.

Do you plan on sharing this? I'd love to give it a try.

Yes please.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-01-07, 18:07)wgstarks Wrote: Do you plan on sharing this? I'd love to give it a try.

(2014-01-07, 21:44)nickr Wrote: Yes please.

Sure, here is what I have done so far. http://dennis.se/downloads/XBMC/script.viera3dmode.zip

I have no idea what I'm doing as I'm not a programmer.

If you improve it, which I'm sure you will, I would very much like you to share the code.
Hi!

First off - sorry if this turns out to be an already covered matter, there is 77 pages to read through and I've tried searching before posting.

I've tested the 3D features in Alpha11 and notice that the picture quality gets noticably degraded when activated. A little bit hart do describe, but it becomes more pixelated like if the resolution is reduced. I can try to capture this on photos if it's of any interest. The upside, of course, is that xbmc menues and subtitles work really well when activated.

I'm running the latest xbmcbuntu, updated to the latest unstable release (jan 4th), my Nvidia drivers are also latest version and I've activated monitor sync etc.

Another thought would be to allow "movement" of the subtitles in the z-axis (depth), so that you could bring them closer. I guess this would be possible by altering their horizontal position for each eye?

As always - please read the above as humble opinions/suggestions, I'm very grateful for the fantastic work you do!

//Magnus
Subtitle depth is already available. Settings > Videos > Subtitles > Subtitle stereoscopic depth.
Is there any update on interlaced output? From what I understand it's available for OpenGL, but not DirectX, is that correct? Will it be coming soon for DirectX, or is it too difficult?

In the meantime, is it possible to run OpenGL in Windows?
no line-interleaved/interlaced support for windows. We would have to use shaders and the devs with free spare time and willing to do have no idea of shaders and how to get them in place. In theory you should be able to compile XBMC for windows with OpenGL only, but you'll loose any HW acceleration (no DXVA which was the main reason for the DirectX port).
(2014-01-08, 15:24)da-anda Wrote: no line-interleaved/interlaced support for windows. We would have to use shaders and the devs with free spare time and willing to do have no idea of shaders and how to get them in place. In theory you should be able to compile XBMC for windows with OpenGL only, but you'll loose any HW acceleration (no DXVA which was the main reason for the DirectX port).

Maybe something that opengl1971 would be intrested in working on, or perhaps just assisting someone with if shader help is needed

(2013-12-25, 12:32)opengl1971 Wrote: People , i have a fairly good pixel and vertex shader knowledge , i already developed an app that uses pixel shaders and support all kind of 3d

So i will post pixel shader for all kinds of 3D (Including line interleaved) that has the ability to display half size or full size or even 2D
RockerC, we need shaders for DirectX, not sure if opengl1971 is good in DirectX (at least not according to his nickname Wink ). But sure, OpenGL shaders (if not yet used) won't harm (we're currently using some "stipple" thingy AFAIK for line-interleaved).
(2014-01-08, 14:03)baijuxavior Wrote: Subtitle depth is already available. Settings > Videos > Subtitles > Subtitle stereoscopic depth.

Cool, thanks!

What about the slight picture quality degradation? Is there any conversion taking place when activating 3D features in xbmc? Can someone else verify similar behaviour.
@mtjerneld
well, GUI is rendered in half resolution (HalfSBS / HalfOU) and stretched again by TV. Besides that no other conversion taking place, but that should/will lower GUI quality for both, active and passive 3D displays. But that's how HSBS/HOU work and we don't support FullSBS/FullOU yet.
(2014-01-08, 19:46)da-anda Wrote: @mtjerneld
well, GUI is rendered in half resolution (HalfSBS / HalfOU) and stretched again by TV. Besides that no other conversion taking place, but that should/will lower GUI quality for both, active and passive 3D displays. But that's how HSBS/HOU work and we don't support FullSBS/FullOU yet.

Is this only for the GUI? I thought I had seen something previously about FullSBS playback being supported, just not Frame Packed (mvc).
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
I'm not aware that we switch into a FullSBS resolution, but I could be wrong, not having any FullSBS/OU material nor HW that would handle it (damn old AMD GPU and borked drivers). But you could be right, in this case GUI should be rendered in full 1080p and no quality loss (except for things the TV is doing, especially on passive displays) should be visible.
(2014-01-08, 15:24)da-anda Wrote: no line-interleaved/interlaced support for windows. We would have to use shaders and the devs with free spare time and willing to do have no idea of shaders and how to get them in place. In theory you should be able to compile XBMC for windows with OpenGL only, but you'll loose any HW acceleration (no DXVA which was the main reason for the DirectX port).

Sorry if I'm being thick, but if DXVA is the problem, shouldn't it be available when I turn off HW acceleration by selecting 'software' as the render method? Isn't it possible to have both OpenGL and DXVA support in the same build?

Sorry for all the questions.

[Edit:]
Another option for interlaced TVs would be checkerboard. Is that possible in Windows, or is it the same situation?
NO to all of your questions. There is no way to run GUI in OpenGL and use DXVA for video decoding (writing such a bridge is a huge PITA from searching google), so it's an all or nothing situation (either only OpenGL which lacks proper HW accell on windows or DirectX+DXVA). And there is no software implementation for line-interleaved, it's done via a OpenGL specific function (something with "stipple" IIRC).

Don't get it wrong, line-interleaved etc will be added "some day ™", but just not for Gotham.
(2014-01-09, 11:09)da-anda Wrote: NO to all of your questions. There is no way to run GUI in OpenGL and use DXVA for video decoding (writing such a bridge is a huge PITA from searching google), so it's an all or nothing situation (either only OpenGL which lacks proper HW accell on windows or DirectX+DXVA). And there is no software implementation for line-interleaved, it's done via a OpenGL specific function (something with "stipple" IIRC).

Thank you for the clear explanation.

Quote:Don't get it wrong, line-interleaved etc will be added "some day ™", but just not for Gotham.

And thank you for the small amount of hope!
  • 52(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stereoscopic 3D support for half/full SBS, over/under, etc11