Linux Harmony Remote Shutdown Issue
My setup is HTPC connected to the A/V Receiver via HDMI, then HDMI out to the TV for video.

I started with XBMCbuntu for Eden. I was able to setup my Harmony remote to work with my HTPC and finally got everything working, including when I hit the 'Off' button, my HTPC, Receiver, and TV would all shutoff without a problem. A week or two ago, I switched to wsnipex's PPA and upgraded to Frodo. After the upgrade, when I press the 'Off' button on my Harmony remote, my TV and Receiver will turn off fine, but my HTPC will stay on. If I turn the Receiver and TV back on, I'm greeted by the login screen for XBMCbuntu. I also have a dedicated button on the remote to turning off my HTPC. I've found that after I hit the dedicated HTPC off button, I need to wait until the black screen with XBMC and the dots appears before I can press the 'Off' button on my remote for everything to shutdown okay.

It seems like having the receiver turn off while XMBC is processing the shutdown command causes it to exit instead of shutting down.

Strangely, I had this same issue when I first setup my Harmony remote back in Eden, but at some point it disappeared. I have no idea if/what I did to fix it back then.

In a terminal, I used 'irw' to check if there was a difference between the commands sent by the 'Off' button and the dedicated XBMC shutdown button. Both buttons send the same 'BD5 mceusb' command to the system.

Any suggestions? I'd rather not try to put a 5-10 second delay into the 'Off' button between sending the signal for the HTPC and the Receiver.
What is the System>System>Power Saving>Shutdown Function option set to?
(2013-02-23, 14:55)teeedubb Wrote: What is the System>System>Power Saving>Shutdown Function option set to?

The Shutdown Function is set to 'Shutdown'.
Does changing that option to suspend help? Not sure if you have a PC that can be powered on via remote..
(2013-02-24, 07:34)teeedubb Wrote: Does changing that option to suspend help? Not sure if you have a PC that can be powered on via remote..

So, changing the option to suspend works, in that the system goes into suspend mode when I press the 'Off' button. Currently, bringing the system back out of suspend doesn't seem to fully work, but that's a different issue.

Yes, I can power on my PC via remote. I have an ASRock motherboard with IR header pins and a 3rd-party CIR receiver. As such, I would prefer to turn off my PC, instead of suspending it.

One thing I notice, though, is that going into suspend happens very quickly. But shutdown takes some time for it to process. It's often 10 seconds after I shutdown from XBMC before the black screen with the XBMC logo appears on it, indicating that the system is shutting down.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Harmony Remote Shutdown Issue0