• 23(current)
[RELEASE] Texture Cache Maintenance utility
(2013-08-13, 17:03)bry- Wrote: MilhouseVH -

I am getting tons of

Quote:17:27:52 T:432 ERROR: Texture manager unable to load file: special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/c/c5f59203.jpg

errors that seem to be the source of xbmc slowing to a crawl when navigating through both movies and tv. does this utility fix this issue?

That error suggests your Textures13.db has references to thumbnails which no longer exist. Not sure why the thumbnails would be missing, but hopefully it doesn't suggest a more serious problem (such as the inability to access or write to the Thumbnails folder).

First things first, make sure you have the latest version of texturecache.py (v0.9.4) - I've just updated it with a new version adding support to more quickly fix your problem (addition of the Xd option).

To Identify those database rows that don't have matching files, run the following command:
Code:
texturecache.py X

and to delete only those rows with no corresponding thumbnail, run - this should stop the errors in XBMC:
Code:
texturecache.py Xd

Now that your texture database is more consistent with the file system, to cache the thumbnails again use the "c" option:
Code:
texturecache.py c movies
texturecache.py c tvshows
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Thanks for the quick reply - I will check when I get home. Could this be the cause of the massive slowdown while navigating? mac mini with ssd takes 20 seconds to go from home to movies or tv.
Cause of "massive slowdown", no probably not. These errors will certainly result in no artwork appearing in the GUI, and since there is no artwork to display, performance should actually improve as there is less work to do (less stuff to decode and display).

The slowdown may indicate a more general problem (SSD and filesystem all OK? Run an fsck?)
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2013-08-13, 19:48)MilhouseVH Wrote: Cause of "massive slowdown", no probably not. These errors will certainly result in no artwork appearing in the GUI, and since there is no artwork to display, performance should actually improve as there is less work to do (less stuff to decode and display).

The slowdown may indicate a more general problem (SSD and filesystem all OK? Run an fsck?)

Unfortunately no - happens on my other XBMC machine also. Should have been more specific.
Getting your database consistent would be the first step, and if the performance problems continue after that then it may be worth starting a new thread.
(2013-08-13, 20:06)MilhouseVH Wrote: Getting your database consistent would be the first step, and if the performance problems continue after that then it may be worth starting a new thread.

agreed - odd thing is that I completely rebuilt the db this weekend and continue to get the errors.
You're not doing anything daft with path substitution (wiki) are you?
Can someone help me?

I always get errors when trying to grab a thumbnail using:
Code:
./texturecache.py c movies Babel

Looking in the log I always get ** iotimeout occurred during web request **
logfile
Looks to me there is a problem associated with RPC, I've checked webservice and I can access it on port 8080. Although I can see my movies listed I usually get a "Connection to server lost" error at the top of the page.

I wasn't sure if I was suppose to touch or create a config file, here is the output of ./texturecache.py config
config

EDIT:
Looking through the log again I noticed this error Image not available for download - uncacheable (embedded?), or doesn't exist.. The url for the poster/fanart contains stripped characters like:
Code:
image://http%3a%2f%2fcf2.imgobject.com%2ft%2fp%2foriginal%2faqSe4ZNjM1q6XXKhdVWKEEjvm7S.jpg/

If I manually fix the url and try to access it in a browser it does exist!
Code:
http://cf2.imgobject.com/t/p/original/aqSe4ZNjM1q6XXKhdVWKEEjvm7S.jpg

Help me join the dots dude!
Other info: I'm running XBMC on Openelec with database hosted on remote mysql server.
(2013-08-14, 01:10)klestor Wrote: Can someone help me?

I always get errors when trying to grab a thumbnail using:
Code:
./texturecache.py c movies Babel

Looking in the log I always get ** iotimeout occurred during web request **
logfile
Looks to me there is a problem associated with RPC, I've checked webservice and I can access it on port 8080. Although I can see my movies listed I usually get a "Connection to server lost" error at the top of the page.

Unfortunately you've not specified the correct parameter to create a full log, so a lot of the logged information has been truncated. If you run it again, specify "@logfile.verbose=yes" NOT "@log.verbose=yes".

As for the iotimeout errors, you'll need to look at your XBMC log (/storage/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log) and see if there is anything there which might give a clue what is happening. The "Connection to server lost" would suggest a communication problem between XBMC and the remote web site (maybe it's down/offline, or experiencing intermittent availability issues), or possibly even an unstable internet connection (just a guess).

Try running the script again - this time with logfile.verbose=yes - and upload both the script log and also your XBMC log (with DEBUG enabled). Maybe then it will be possible to see what the problem is when I have both sides to put together. Smile

(2013-08-14, 01:10)klestor Wrote: I wasn't sure if I was suppose to touch or create a config file, here is the output of ./texturecache.py config
config

On Linux systems, eg. OpenELEC, you shouldn't need a property file - at least initially.

My advice is to try the script without a properties file, as it might work just fine, but then if you decide to create a properties file, add only those properties you want/need to change - leave everything else to be defaults. I don't advise putting every possible property into your properties file - I've tried to use sane defaults for most properties.

(2013-08-14, 01:10)klestor Wrote: EDIT:
Looking through the log again I noticed this error Image not available for download - uncacheable (embedded?), or doesn't exist.. The url for the poster/fanart contains stripped characters like:
Code:
image://http%3a%2f%2fcf2.imgobject.com%2ft%2fp%2foriginal%2faqSe4ZNjM1q6XXKhdVWKEEjvm7S.jpg/

If I manually fix the url and try to access it in a browser it does exist!
Code:
http://cf2.imgobject.com/t/p/original/aqSe4ZNjM1q6XXKhdVWKEEjvm7S.jpg

This is interesting - although you can't see it on the forum, if you copy & paste the above quoted URL (not your manually fixed version) to a text editor (I'm using TextPad) there is an unprintable character between the "." and "j" of "jpg". You can decode (unquote) this URL using a web tool such as this, and if you then copy the decoded URL to your browser address bar, it will fail to load the image.

This is the decoded URL, and if you try to open it in a browser you'll get a web page that says "Format not Supported". Now take another look at the URL in your browser address bar and - if you're using Firefox or Internet Explorer - you'll see extra characters have appeared just before the "jpg" -> "...m7S.%E2%80%8Bjpg". If you're using Chrome, you'll just see a space appear between the "." and "jpg".

So it looks like the URL for that particular artwork has been mangled in your media library. It's probably mangled at the source, and really needs fixing there, but for now you'll need to correct the problem in your media library (find the movie in the GUI, go to the Info page and choose a different artwork source).

EDIT: Turns out that %E2%80%8B is the UTF-8 hexadecimal encoding of the Unicode Zero-width Space character.
Thanks Milhouse,

I'm not sure if this had been covered before but your script seems to work much better on the wired network. I could cache 700 movies at 10 download threads with less than 5 errors.
Switching back to wifi I get constant errors with the c movies option, even with one movie and one thread specified.

This is the wifi I'm using
I have seen others mention problems with WiFi, though not sure what the underlying problem is - could be a bad driver, or maybe inadequate antenna/signal, or flaky UDP (used for DNS). Try using a tool like iperf to determine the stability of your WiFi connection outside of XBMC.

Since it's XBMC performing the download (on behalf of the script) you'd likely have similar WiFi communication problems while using XBMC itself (streaming, browsing GUI/caching artwork, scraping new media etc.). The script just stresses that particular part of the system and if you have a comms problem it becomes very obvious very quick!
Awesome script Millhouse, thanks a bunch.
Just unbricked my NAS and installed MySQL, set up the library from my laptop and ran this script [c] on my Pi.
My Pi is lightning fast again, after just a couple of minutes 500 movies is cashed.
Tomorrow I will run it again for 2000 episodes, have to move everything from my backup first.

Again, thanks a bunch for this script!
Excellent tool! Thanks a bunch mate!

Edit: btw. Do you still have that relative simple monitoring script available for download, I lost it. Sad
(2013-08-20, 15:45)tuxen Wrote: Excellent tool! Thanks a bunch mate!

Thanks. Smile

(2013-08-20, 15:45)tuxen Wrote: Edit: btw. Do you still have that relative simple monitoring script available for download, I lost it. Sad

Errrr... what script was that, my minds a bit of a blank...
Oh can't remember the name that's the problem, its was posted in the v1 openELEC test thread I searched a lot without luck. That thread got pretty big. Smile
It just continuously monitored things like clocks, temp , etc.

Thanks again.

Edit: Ah! bcmstat.py I'm pretty sure it was called.

Now I remember its name it was easy to find, is this latest version or is it obsolete?:

Code:
wget http://www.nmacleod.com/public/bcmstat.sh && chmod +x ./bcmstat.sh
./bcmstat.sh -x
From: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1314143

Ps. Sorry for sidetracking a bit.
  • 23(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Texture Cache Maintenance utility17