• 44(current)
[RELEASE] Texture Cache Maintenance utility
(2014-01-07, 04:35)rubpa Wrote: I'm running the first command (./texturecache.py P) right now and I see lines like below. I assume it means this path does not exist in my library but I've checked that this file exists.

012102|6/6c2226db.jpg|0240|0360|0004|2013-12-22 17:23:44|2013-12-22 22:51:53|image://%2fmnt<some path>%2fDSC_0091.JPG/transform?size=thumb

Yes, that url (image://) doesn't exist in your media library so the texture cache database row and the corresponding thumbnail file are being deleted.

(2014-01-07, 04:35)rubpa Wrote: I see thousands of such lines (it's running for more than an hour now, I've more than 15000 pictures). Is the utility doing the right thing?

Should be working correctly, assuming you really wanted those cached items to be removed.

What it's doing is removing any cached artwork that is not part of your media library. Pictures/photos are not represented in the media library (they're not scanned or scraped into the library as songs, tvshows and movies are) so any associated cached artwork (such as the above "thumb" - or preview - version of your camera photo) will be removed from the cache by "pruning" (P).

I hasten to add the script will never modify or remove your original images, it will only be removing the cached versions and these are typically created in order to preview a photo when browsing through the file system.

I'm not sure if their removal is what you intended, but I got the impression you wanted to get rid of photos (from the cache).

I've never really looked into how pictures are handled by xbmc, but as far as I can see only the smaller thumbnail previews are being cached and the original artwork is always displayed directly, not via the cache. If caching of the original picture artwork is possible (and beneficial) then this could be supported in a similar way to extrafanart/extrathumbs. At least then the previews wouldn't be cleared out when pruning as they would be matched against the original artwork.

Edit: The contents of directories not within a media source cannot be viewed using JSON so scanning an arbitrary directory of photos so that they might be pre-cached is sadly not possible. If you want to keep your photo previews, I would suggest adding the following entry to texturecache.cfg:
Code:
prune.retain.types = <some path>/.*

where <some path> is your photo path (doesn't have to be the whole path, just enough to be unlike any other non-picture path, eg. "/mnt/mypictures/.*").

Edit2: OK arbitrary photo directories are out, but if the folder is within your Pictures source then it can be scanned... and cached.

Note: I recently uploaded v1.2.8 of the script as these photo urls should be being decoded - now they are (you should automatically be updated to the latest version).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2014-01-07, 05:38)MilhouseVH Wrote: What it's doing is removing any cached artwork that is not part of your media library. Pictures/photos are not represented in the media library (they're not scanned or scraped into the library as songs, tvshows and movies are) so any associated cached artwork (such as the above "thumb" - or preview - version of your camera photo) will be removed from the cache by "pruning" (P).

I hasten to add the script will never modify or remove your original images, it will only be removing the cached versions and these are typically created in order to preview a photo when browsing through the file system.

I'm not sure if their removal is what you intended, but I got the impression you wanted to get rid of photos (from the cache).

I have only a 10GB partition for my xbmc installation and it was full (no warning by xbmc whatsoever except slowness Sad). Around 7GB was consumed by Thumbnails (over 1+ yrs I think). I intended to definitely remove unnecessary thumbnails but not the thumbnails of my "Pictures". Anyway, it's not a big problem since it gets regenerated locally when I visit the folder again even without any network.

Quote:I've never really looked into how pictures are handled by xbmc, but as far as I can see only the smaller thumbnail previews are being cached and the original artwork is always displayed directly, not via the cache. If caching of the original picture artwork is possible (and beneficial) then this could be supported in a similar way to extrafanart/extrathumbs. At least then the previews wouldn't be cleared out when pruning as they would be matched against the original artwork.

Edit: The contents of directories not within a media source cannot be viewed using JSON so scanning an arbitrary directory of photos so that they might be pre-cached is sadly not possible. If you want to keep your photo previews, I would suggest adding the following entry to texturecache.cfg:
Code:
prune.retain.types = <some path>/.*

where <some path> is your photo path (doesn't have to be the whole path, just enough to be unlike any other non-picture path, eg. "/mnt/mypictures/.*").

Edit2: OK arbitrary photo directories are out, but if the folder is within your Pictures source then it can be scanned... and cached.

Note: I recently uploaded v1.2.8 of the script as these photo urls should be being decoded - now they are (you should automatically be updated to the latest version).

A little confused by all this. I downloaded your script yesterday. What do you recommend for future runs? Do I need to set some options to not delete the thumbnails of my Pictures folders. After the P command, I ran texturecache.py R and got this:
Code:
Found 13,199 orphaned files for 1,326 database files.

This is far too many orphaned files for this number of
database files - more than 5% - and something may be wrong.
I guess P command just cleaned the database rows and now the R command would remove the actual thumbnail file referenced in these deleted rows. Can you confirm?

Also, the actual scanning & caching is done by xbmc when I view the pictures. I'm confused by "...then it can be scanned... and cached" and also your signature states "Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance". Are these related? Does this utility improve xbmc performance by doing something more at every boot? Can you explain?

Thanks a lot for your detailed response!
(2014-01-07, 09:53)rubpa Wrote: I intended to definitely remove unnecessary thumbnails but not the thumbnails of my "Pictures". Anyway, it's not a big problem since it gets regenerated locally when I visit the folder again even without any network.

I'm working on a version that will not prune your picture and folder previews. Your pictures (ie. those you view, eg. full screen in a slideshow etc.) are never cached. And unfortunately it's not possible to pre-cache the previews - it looks like it's another one of those situations where the GUI does something special which can't be replicated with JSON. I should have an update shortly.

(2014-01-07, 09:53)rubpa Wrote: After the P command, I ran texturecache.py R and got this:
Code:
Found 13,199 orphaned files for 1,326 database files.

P would fail to delete the files if there is a permission problem preventing file deletion. Assuming that isn't the case, another possibility is that the orphaned files already existed before you ran the P command and may have accumulated over the previous year or so. Orphaned files often result whenever XBMC is upgraded to a new major version (eg. Dharma to Frodo or Gotham), as the thumbnail files from the old system are left lying around.

(2014-01-07, 09:53)rubpa Wrote: I guess P command just cleaned the database rows and now the R command would remove the actual thumbnail file referenced in these deleted rows. Can you confirm?

Only if there is a permission problem when deleting from the Thumbnails folder. But yes, the R command will clean up the left over files and get things back in to shape. However if P couldn't delete the files, then it's unlikely that R will either.

(2014-01-07, 09:53)rubpa Wrote: Also, the actual scanning & caching is done by xbmc when I view the pictures. I'm confused by "...then it can be scanned... and cached"

I had hoped it would be possible to cache the artwork previews, but it turns out that isn't supported by JSON, and although it is possible to cache the full resolution pictures there's absolutely no point in doing so as they're always displayed directly from source and not via the cache (which is just as well, otherwise the storage requirements for the cache would balloon). So the best I can do with this script is simply to not prune your previews, assuming most people want to keep the previews. It's not much, but it might help.

And if you do want to delete the previews, there'll be an option to set. Or there is the "purge" option which takes one or more string patterns and removes items (database rows and files) from the cache.

(2014-01-07, 09:53)rubpa Wrote: and also your signature states "Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance". Are these related? Does this utility improve xbmc performance by doing something more at every boot? Can you explain?

As you browse around the XBMC GUI, images will be loaded into the cache which involves resizing and format conversion etc. The images you see on the screen are loaded from the cache (except for full size pictures, which load directly from the source). On low power platforms (such as the Raspberry Pi) the extra work populating the cache can be quite noticeable, so pre-loading the cache ensures that when you browse the GUI there are no stutters or delays as all your artwork is already cached.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Thanks again for your response. I'll investigate my system a little more.

(2014-01-07, 10:37)MilhouseVH Wrote: ...so pre-loading the cache ensures that when you browse the GUI there are no stutters or delays as all your artwork is already cached.

Can you explain "pre-loading the cache" again? I guess it's the cC option of your utility. Should I run it at startup on my system? If it matters, my xbmc box has inbuilt storage and no network drives are added as libraries.
(2014-01-07, 12:03)rubpa Wrote: Can you explain "pre-loading the cache" again? I guess it's the cC option of your utility. Should I run it at startup on my system? If it matters, my xbmc box has inbuilt storage and no network drives are added as libraries.

No, you don't run it at boot, you only need to update the cache when you have loaded new media (movies, tvshows). And if you only have one machine, which is your scraping machine (ie. you're not using MySQL and sharing metadata amongst several clients) then the texture cache will be up to date anyway as the scraper client always has a fully populated texture cache.

So in your case it sounds like you're running a single machine, that is also your scraper, in which case you're not going to see any benefit from running the "c" option (there's no harm in running it, there just won't be any artwork that needs to be cached). Of course if for any reason you deleted your Textures13.db or Thumbnails files, then you could run the "c" option and repopulate your cache with the minimum of effort (the alternative is to browse slowly through your Library, displaying every possible item of artwork...)

When running a distributed MySQL setup it's very likely that the non-scraper clients will be missing artwork, so whenever new artwork is added by the scraper client its usually beneficial to initiate a cache pre-load on all the remaining clients using the "c" option (which will only cache artwork that isn't yet cached).

The "C" option, on the other hand, will force a cache update by removing any currently cached artwork before caching the artwork again - this is useful if you have changed artwork but kept the file name the same, as the texture cache has a tendency to ignore updated artwork for a few days until a background process realises the file content has changed. So if you're impatient, or have loaded corrupt artwork, the C option can be useful.

texturecache.py (Version 1.2.9)
  • Add: When pruning (p/P), now also consider available picture sources containing artwork and retain associated folder and picture previews. Disable this behaviour with @prune.retain.previews=no and all previews associated with your pictures will be removed when pruning
texturecache.py (Version 1.3.1)
  • Add: stress-test option to iterate over GUI items with variable delays and repeats. Supported views (movements) are thumbnail (for 5x2 poster views), listright and listdown for simple horizontal/vertical views. Default pause between movement is 0.25 seconds.
Example: stress-test thumbnail 444 0.3 999 60 to iterate over 444 items in a thumbnail view pausing for 0.3 seconds between each movement, repeating view traversal 999 times. 60 second cooldown period between each traversal.

When choosing the correct number of items (eg. 444) use the item count shown at the foot of the view (in Confluence), eg. "(444) Items - page (1/45)".

Make sure the GUI is on the correct view/window before commencing a stress-test run, otherwise the remote input sent to the client will cause unpredictable results...

Note that with an overclocked and over-volted Raspberry Pi it's quite possible to hit the thermal limit at which point the the CPU frequency will be throttled back to 700Mhz.
I understand cC option now, thanks!

I ran v1.2.9 texturecache.py P command. It was in Loading: Pictures... state for 1.5 hrs with my 15000+ photo library. Sad I could not wait longer and killed it.

edit: BTW, it's 2014 and your changelog says 2013 for the last 4 entries! Smile
It certainly shouldn't take 1.5 hours unless the xbmc client has stopped responding.

If you enable logging with @log=tc.log and upload the log somewhere (it may need to be zipped) I could take a look and see what the problem is, but most likely it's a performance issue with the client trying to iterate over so many file items (maybe).

To obtain a listing of your files without pruning, try the rdirectory option as follows.

First view your sources and note each path:
Code:
$ ./texturecache.py sources
video: Local Videos: /storage/videos
video: My Movies: nfs://192.168.0.3/mnt/share/media/Video/Comedy
video: My Movies: nfs://192.168.0.3/mnt/share/media/Video/Documentaries
video: My Movies: nfs://192.168.0.3/mnt/share/media/Video/MoviesHD
video: My Movies: nfs://192.168.0.3/mnt/share/media/Video/MoviesSD
video: My TV Shows: nfs://192.168.0.3/mnt/share/media/Video/TVShows
music: My Music: nfs://192.168.0.3/mnt/share/data/Music/MP3
pictures: Photos: nfs://192.168.0.3/mnt/share/media/Photos

To traverse the entire path for the "Photos" picture source:
Code:
$ ./texturecache.py rdirectory nfs://192.168.0.3/mnt/share/media/Photos

If rdirectory also hangs or takes very, very long then please add @log=tc.log to the command line and send me the log - thanks.
(2014-01-07, 20:01)MilhouseVH Wrote: It certainly shouldn't take 1.5 hours unless the xbmc client has stopped responding.

It progressed in less than a minute this time and I noticed that it started deleting some thumbnails related to my photos. After some analysis, xbmc seems to be storing multiple thumbnails per photo. As an example:

Code:
./texturecache.py s DSC_0669
016021|4/472d41f3.jpg|0240|0360|0001|2014-01-07 03:47:07|2014-01-07 09:17:07|/mnt/<somepath>/DSC_0669.JPG/transform?size=thumb
016891|f/ffd8f55f.jpg|0720|1080|0001|2014-01-07 13:27:34|2014-01-07 18:57:34|/mnt/<somepath>/DSC_0669.JPG
Matching row ids: 16021 16891

texturecache.py P is not deleting the 1st row but deleting the 2nd row. I checked a few random photos and not always both lines exist. I guess we need to figure out more how xbmc is caching Pictures. I've seen lots of variations in the stored path in the Texture13.db in the last few days.
(2014-01-08, 05:00)rubpa Wrote:
Code:
./texturecache.py s DSC_0669
016021|4/472d41f3.jpg|0240|0360|0001|2014-01-07 03:47:07|2014-01-07 09:17:07|/mnt/<somepath>/DSC_0669.JPG/transform?size=thumb
016891|f/ffd8f55f.jpg|0720|1080|0001|2014-01-07 13:27:34|2014-01-07 18:57:34|/mnt/<somepath>/DSC_0669.JPG
Matching row ids: 16021 16891

texturecache.py P is not deleting the 1st row but deleting the 2nd row. I checked a few random photos and not always both lines exist. I guess we need to figure out more how xbmc is caching Pictures. I've seen lots of variations in the stored path in the Texture13.db in the last few days.

That's weird, I couldn't get XBMC to cache the original full size picture (the second row in your example above), although I only tested the "slideshow" functionality - maybe an addon has caused the original artwork to be cached, which IMHO is probably not a good thing due to the extra storage requirements, whereas slideshow appears to avoid the cache by accessing the artwork direct.

It shouldn't be a problem to include the original full size artwork paths in the prune processing so that both the preview and full size images are retained in the cache, but is it sensible to keep all those full size images in the cache? Personally I'd want the full size images to be pruned. I guess it can be added as an option, prune.retain.pictures, disabled by default.
@rubpa: Try version 1.3.3, just pushed with support for prune.retain.pictures. This is not enabled by default, so you'll need to add prune.retain.pictures=yes to your properties file if you want to keep the pictures in the cache.
Hi,

Sorry for the dumb new user post I have searched high and low, put in a default cfg then taken it away again.

I have been trying to use this great tool with no luck.

Here is the tc.log
2014-01-09 00:07:31.568749:MainThread: Command line args: ['./texturecache.py', 'C', '@logfile=tc.log', '@logfile.verbose
']
2014-01-09 00:07:31.568856:MainThread: Current version #: v1.3.3
2014-01-09 00:07:31.568890:MainThread: Current platform : linux2
2014-01-09 00:07:31.568929:MainThread: Python version #: v2.7.3.0 (final)
2014-01-09 00:07:31.569052:MainThread: libPing.JSON WEB REQUEST: [{"jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "JSONRPC.Ping", "id": "lib
Ping"}]
2014-01-09 00:07:31.571446:MainThread: libPing.RECEIVED DATA: {"id":"libPing","jsonrpc":"2.0","result":"pong"}
2014-01-09 00:07:31.571998:MainThread: libVersion.JSON SOCKET REQUEST: [{"jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "JSONRPC.Version", "
id": "libVersion"}]

It just sits there for ever.

I have no cfg file, it is running latest frodo version (12.3) webserver is enabled with no password standard port 8080.

Help Smile I have a load of thumbnails on the tv show view in ACE showing black boxes and it is driving me mad Smile

Thanks
Dave
Looks like your XBMC client isn't responding for some reason. Can sometimes happen, just interrupt the script and try again.

Although if your plan is to run "C" without limiting by media class (ie. songs, artists, movies, tvshows etc.) then you may as well just delete your Textures13.db and Thumbnails folder, restart XBMC (so that it re-creates an empty database and folders) then use the "c" option to pre-load the cache.
Code:
Found 2,777 orphaned files for 12,002 database files.

Check your configuration, database, and Thumbnails folder.

Add "orphan.limit.check = no" to the properties file
if you wish to disable this check.
This is the result when I run ./texturescache.py /R. I do believe these orphaned files need to go and there is nothing wrong with the db, so I added the properties file to the same folder as the script with the added "no", did a chmod +x on it and still I get the same message. Are there any other settings I need to do on the .cfg file?

George
(2014-01-08, 05:15)MilhouseVH Wrote: That's weird, I couldn't get XBMC to cache the original full size picture (the second row in your example above), although I only tested the "slideshow" functionality - maybe an addon has caused the original artwork to be cached, which IMHO is probably not a good thing due to the extra storage requirements, whereas slideshow appears to avoid the cache by accessing the artwork direct.

I did some trials on my windows laptop with XBMC 12.3 + Aeon Nox skin - similar to my actual media center which is xbmcbuntu. I added a folder with 8 trial pics and when I open the folder, the thumbnails are created and here is the output of texturecache.py f

Code:
000006|2/2ad34bd6.jpg|0240|0360|0001|2014-01-10 14:47:45|2014-01-10 20:17:45|C:\Temp\Pics\P1050811.JPG/transform?size=thumb
000005|3/383f7c8c.jpg|0240|0360|0001|2014-01-10 14:47:44|2014-01-10 20:17:44|C:\Temp\Pics\P1050803.JPG/transform?size=thumb
000008|3/3912ea51.jpg|0360|0240|0001|2014-01-10 14:47:45|2014-01-10 20:17:45|C:\Temp\Pics\P1050824.JPG/transform?size=thumb
000003|7/70caccc4.jpg|0240|0360|0001|2014-01-10 14:47:43|2014-01-10 20:17:43|C:\Temp\Pics\DSC_1348.JPG/transform?size=thumb
000001|7/71b49c46.jpg|0360|0240|0001|2014-01-10 14:47:43|2014-01-10 20:17:43|C:\Temp\Pics\DSC_0911.JPG/transform?size=thumb
000002|8/8d2658e3.jpg|0240|0360|0001|2014-01-10 14:47:43|2014-01-10 20:17:43|C:\Temp\Pics\DSC_0956.JPG/transform?size=thumb
000007|9/90eab9c9.jpg|0360|0240|0001|2014-01-10 14:47:45|2014-01-10 20:17:45|C:\Temp\Pics\P1050823.JPG/transform?size=thumb
000004|9/9cef1281.jpg|0240|0360|0001|2014-01-10 14:47:44|2014-01-10 20:17:44|C:\Temp\Pics\DSC_1353.JPG/transform?size=thumb

File Summary: 8 files; Total size: 246 KB

The skin uses InfoWall view by default which shows a larger image to the side when I just use the arrow keys to move through the pictures. When I selected one picture, 1 additional row was added to the database. When I browsed through all the 8 pictures with arrow keys, this is what it looked like:
Code:
000010|1/1809f893.jpg|0720|1080|0001|2014-01-10 14:58:23|2014-01-10 20:28:23|C:\Temp\Pics\DSC_0956.JPG
000004|2/2ad34bd6.jpg|0240|0360|0001|2014-01-10 14:57:55|2014-01-10 20:27:55|C:\Temp\Pics\P1050811.JPG/transform?size=thumb
000008|3/383f7c8c.jpg|0240|0360|0001|2014-01-10 14:57:56|2014-01-10 20:27:56|C:\Temp\Pics\P1050803.JPG/transform?size=thumb
000005|3/3912ea51.jpg|0360|0240|0001|2014-01-10 14:57:55|2014-01-10 20:27:55|C:\Temp\Pics\P1050824.JPG/transform?size=thumb
000012|4/42aa659b.jpg|0720|0480|0001|2014-01-10 14:58:28|2014-01-10 20:28:28|C:\Temp\Pics\P1050823.JPG
000011|4/4610c97a.jpg|0720|1080|0001|2014-01-10 14:58:25|2014-01-10 20:28:25|C:\Temp\Pics\DSC_1348.JPG
000001|7/70caccc4.jpg|0240|0360|0001|2014-01-10 14:57:54|2014-01-10 20:27:54|C:\Temp\Pics\DSC_1348.JPG/transform?size=thumb
000003|7/71b49c46.jpg|0360|0240|0001|2014-01-10 14:57:55|2014-01-10 20:27:55|C:\Temp\Pics\DSC_0911.JPG/transform?size=thumb
000014|7/74fa7f6b.jpg|0720|1080|0001|2014-01-10 14:58:40|2014-01-10 20:28:40|C:\Temp\Pics\P1050803.JPG
000002|8/8d2658e3.jpg|0240|0360|0001|2014-01-10 14:57:55|2014-01-10 20:27:54|C:\Temp\Pics\DSC_0956.JPG/transform?size=thumb
000009|8/8f4ae667.jpg|0720|0480|0001|2014-01-10 14:58:20|2014-01-10 20:28:20|C:\Temp\Pics\DSC_0911.JPG
000007|9/90eab9c9.jpg|0360|0240|0001|2014-01-10 14:57:56|2014-01-10 20:27:56|C:\Temp\Pics\P1050823.JPG/transform?size=thumb
000006|9/9cef1281.jpg|0240|0360|0001|2014-01-10 14:57:55|2014-01-10 20:27:55|C:\Temp\Pics\DSC_1353.JPG/transform?size=thumb
000016|b/b9494e8f.jpg|0720|0480|0001|2014-01-10 14:58:43|2014-01-10 20:28:43|C:\Temp\Pics\P1050824.JPG
000015|c/c7c66b93.jpg|0720|1080|0001|2014-01-10 14:58:42|2014-01-10 20:28:41|C:\Temp\Pics\DSC_1353.JPG
000013|f/fdc8bd09.jpg|0720|1080|0001|2014-01-10 14:58:39|2014-01-10 20:28:38|C:\Temp\Pics\P1050811.JPG

File Summary: 16 files; Total size: 1,587 KB

So, if the skin needs a larger preview, I guess these additional db lines & thumbnails are created.

Thanks for the last update. I now understand what xbmc/skin is doing and I've your script with all options to clean my cache! Smile
  • 44(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Texture Cache Maintenance utility17