Streaming video from a TiVo over network
i love xbmc/xbmp! they absolutely rule!

i was reluctant for a long time to start using xbmc because it did not have all the features i wanted. now i believe it surpasses xbmp in many ways except for one....

when will tivo streaming functionality be incorporated into xbmc? this is the last thing standing between me using media center 100%. please...please...please...make it happen soon!

thanks! and keep up the awesome work!
yeah, xbmc is great, and things are happening quickly these days, but tivo support is probably quite a big side-project, that would have to be taken first by a non-xbmc developer (and following that work, if it was good it could be integrated).

if you'd have searched, you'd also have found another thread on the same subject (of playing back tv recorded streams in xbmc), this one http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin....try7459
i am not sure i understand what you mean by a non-xbmc developer writing the code but tivo streaming did work in xbmp. i would too also like to see it work in xbmc someday. i still have my tivo setup with ccxstream, so that part is done, and i have even kept the tivo section in my xbmc config file (held over from the xbmp days) and even now i can see all the tivos now showing shows listed in xbmc, but when picking one the xbox locks up.

back when xbmp was being worked on someone did some magic to get tivo streams running. i don't know if they wrote a special codec for the ty streams, or if mplayer already supported it and xbmp just needed to tap in to that portion of mplayer or whatever. but it does seem like most of the difficult portion should have been done already when it was coded for xbmp.

i wish i knew more about programming, but to my simple mind it seems like someone who knows what they are doing would need to copy the relevent parts from the xbmp code and dump them in to xbmc in the right places and do some tweaking. i know there is more to it that that, but i too hope it is possible at some point.
mknight - as far as i can recall, they ccxstream software that actually runs on teh tivo needs to be updated to be compatible with the support version in xbmc, someone please correct me if i am wrong.

cp
if that was all i needed to do that would be great. i just figured since it works in xbmp, and in xbmc i can see and pick the shows still that it had to do with the ty format not working in xbmc.
ccxstream does not need to be updated on the tivo...the codecs for the .ty files need to be added to xbmc. it took forever for it it happen on xbmp (we had a tease of it on a 6-9-03 cvs build, and it then went away until 10-29-03 brought it back as part of a final build).

please!!! developers hear us! make us happy(ier) than you already have. Wink
i'm just curious, is there any support for .ty in mplayer or the software xbmc is based upon? and is someone presenting now a patch to support .ty, against current xbmc cvs sources?
(thebeast @ feb. 22 2004,06:00 Wrote:i'm just curious, is there any support for .ty in mplayer or the software xbmc is based upon? and is someone presenting now a patch to support .ty, against current xbmc cvs sources?
yes, mplayer supports ty (not sure if you need a patch first though) but frodo said the xbmc already support ty (.ty files that is)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
did frodo confirm that xbmc will stream from a tivo? or just that it supports .ty files? they are very different things!
ok...i just tried this. i was able to browse over to the tivo, but when i tried to play a .ty file it just glitched some audio, and had no video what-so-ever. (it just stayed on the file selection screen)
i can confirm that every version of xbmc i have tried does not play ty files either streamed from a tivo using ccxstream or directly by accessing a ty file already pulled from a tivo and put on a smb share.
Quote:i can confirm that every version of xbmc i have tried does not play ty files either streamed from a tivo using ccxstream or directly by accessing a ty file already pulled from a tivo and put on a smb share.

i think the time has come for you to file a bug report thread Wink
what is the best way to go about doing that? just post in the bug forum?
Star 
(grenex @ mar. 02 2004,01:53 Wrote:did frodo confirm that xbmc will stream from a tivo?  or just that it supports .ty files?  they are very different things!
yes those are two very different things & i thought i made it clear. only mpeg-ts/ty files are currently supported by xbmc (it should be, if not = bug)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
unfortunaly i dont have a tivo, replaytv or other device
i cannot buy one either since those units seem 2b ntsc & 110volts, and where i live we got pal & 220volts
so to be honest.
i cant fix/add/do anything related with tivo's or replaytv's
there's no way for me 2 test it.

frodo
XBMC Project Founder (Retired), now head programmer of MediaPortal

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Streaming video from a TiVo over network0