• 1(current)
Gigabyte Brix looks like a winner
HDMI, Display port, Wifi, USB3

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news...spberry-pi
Reporter can't be very bright if they think it's aimed at the Raspberry PI market. It's obviously a NUC competitor
(2013-04-13, 02:34)dalben Wrote: Reporter can't be very bright if they think it's aimed at the Raspberry PI market. It's obviously a NUC competitor

YES I agree, but I see his point when the reporter said: "While Gigabyte didn't directly state the Raspberry Pi as the market it was going after, it alluded to this with its reference to "having only one main competitor". In the same way the Raspberry Pi Foundation markets its mini PC, Gigabyte also intends for Brix to be used in educational establishments, as well as for businesses and personal use."

So may I think it will arrive for about $60 USD? I would buy one, but I guess I am dreaming. It will cost my kidney...
[Xgimi Z6 Polar]
[Xiaomi Mi Box]
[Raspberry Pi 3 B]
(2013-04-13, 07:03)lukasnmd Wrote: So may I think it will arrive for about $60 USD? I would buy one, but I guess I am dreaming. It will cost my kidney...

Yes, you are dreaming. This is a NUC competitor pure and simple, and the fact that that "journalist" felt the need to ignore this doesn't change that. It will arrive at NUC prices too, not R-Pi prices. Gigabyte aren't making the CPUs, don't forget, so there's a big chunk of the BOM where they can't undercut Intel.
(2013-04-13, 10:37)twelvebore Wrote:
(2013-04-13, 07:03)lukasnmd Wrote: So may I think it will arrive for about $60 USD? I would buy one, but I guess I am dreaming. It will cost my kidney...

Yes, you are dreaming. This is a NUC competitor pure and simple, and the fact that that "journalist" felt the need to ignore this doesn't change that. It will arrive at NUC prices too, not R-Pi prices. Gigabyte aren't making the CPUs, don't forget, so there's a big chunk of the BOM where they can't undercut Intel.

"This is a NUC competitor pure and simple"
- Agree.

"...the fact that that "journalist" felt the need to ignore this doesn't change that."
- Again, I agree, it doesnt change anything, but I think the journalist doesnt even know that NUC exists...

It was correlated with Pi because of the educational purposes, wich the NUC will never be, IMO. [NUC with GPIO or acessible for poor kids, I dont think so.]
[Xgimi Z6 Polar]
[Xiaomi Mi Box]
[Raspberry Pi 3 B]
Yep - it's a NUC competitor. Bizarre to compare it to a Raspberry Pi.

Good to see USB3.0, though a pity only 2 not 3. Good to see GigE, but a pity that the second video is MiniDisplay Port rather than HDMI or a Thunderbolt/MiniDisplayPort Apple-style variant.

Be interesting to see costs relative to NUC - and how the >i3 versions compare to eagerly awaited i5/i7 NUCs (which are also expected to have USB3).

More info here : http://translate.google.com/translate?hl...rrenz.html

Original : http://www.winboard.org/news-940-gigabyt...rrenz.html

Processors (all dual core - including i7. All but Celeron appear to Hyperthread - i.e. each physical core appears as 2 logical cores):
Celeron 10007U (1.5GHz CPUMark 1592)
i3-3227U (1.9GHz CPUMark 2690)
i5-3337U (1.8GHz CPUMark 3219)
i7-3537U (2.0GHz CPUMark 3712)
(2013-04-13, 07:03)lukasnmd Wrote: YES I agree, but I see his point when the reporter said: "While Gigabyte didn't directly state the Raspberry Pi as the market it was going after, it alluded to this with its reference to "having only one main competitor".

The "one main competitor" they were referring to is obviously the NUC. The journalist is very dim if he thinks they were referencing the Pi.
(2013-04-13, 14:28)voochi Wrote:
(2013-04-13, 07:03)lukasnmd Wrote: YES I agree, but I see his point when the reporter said: "While Gigabyte didn't directly state the Raspberry Pi as the market it was going after, it alluded to this with its reference to "having only one main competitor".

The "one main competitor" they were referring to is obviously the NUC. The journalist is very dim if he thinks they were referencing the Pi.

OK, you got the point, now I understand, my mistake, I didnt think this way... I was focusing on the words "educacional purposes". As I said earlier, I dont think the journalist knows about NUC existence. He may know about RasPi existence because it had a media exposure, etc...
[Xgimi Z6 Polar]
[Xiaomi Mi Box]
[Raspberry Pi 3 B]
Haha, yes, outside of the journalist thinking it's competing with the Pi, this actually looks like a very kick ass mini x86 PC.
(2013-04-13, 15:42)Ned Scott Wrote: Haha, yes, outside of the journalist thinking it's competing with the Pi, this actually looks like a very kick ass mini x86 PC.

+1 for the kick ass mini x86 pc.
[Xgimi Z6 Polar]
[Xiaomi Mi Box]
[Raspberry Pi 3 B]
only the price tag will tell if it'll win or loose.
(2013-04-15, 11:28)eskro Wrote: only the price tag will tell if it'll win or loose.
If Gigabyte (or someone else) would launch a passive cooled version of this kind of box as standard that's where they would really succeed in the HTPC market at least.

We know from the NUC that they run cooler with a good passive case but at a €99+ upgrade on top of the price of the standard board it's rather expensive. A pre-built passive cooled solution at a small premium over existing NUC prices would be a winner!
I wonder where he got "educational purposes" from to begin with. I think the reporter just made that part up. I don't see it on the one slide and the one sheet next to it from the demonstration so maybe it was on a different slide?

http://uk.hardware.info/news/34462/gigab...rix-system

^-- this shows more slides and none mention educational

This is a NUC clone plain and simple. Like eskro said it will be all about the price.
Yeah that is not really a good comparison by the editor but most figured that out. I definitely would like to see prices too.
(2013-04-15, 12:27)suineg Wrote: I wonder where he got "educational purposes" from to begin with. I think the reporter just made that part up. I don't see it on the one slide and the one sheet next to it from the demonstration so maybe it was on a different slide?

http://uk.hardware.info/news/34462/gigab...rix-system

^-- this shows more slides and none mention educational

This is a NUC clone plain and simple. Like eskro said it will be all about the price.

In the pic 4 on the link they dont say if the Celeron version will be GbE lan or just another FastE lan. I wish i could know it. I got my aim on Celeron versions of these mini pc's. Would be awesome if a Celeron version came with Intel HD4000 GPU. Intel has to make it first, I know.
[Xgimi Z6 Polar]
[Xiaomi Mi Box]
[Raspberry Pi 3 B]
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gigabyte Brix looks like a winner2