• 1(current)
~1 minute delay when starting XBMC
Hi people,

I would like to find out why xbmc is so slow to open now. I experience like 2 to 3 minutes when I start it with the xbmc logo before the aeon nox init screen kicks in.
I have identified in debug logs the place where the overhead occurs:
Code:
23:34:56 T:2937195328  NOTICE: Artwork Downloader: ## Service - Run at startup: False
23:34:56 T:2937195328  NOTICE: Artwork Downloader: ## Service - Delayed startup:  minutes
23:34:56 T:2937195328  NOTICE: Artwork Downloader: ## Service - Run as service: False
23:34:56 T:2937195328  NOTICE: Artwork Downloader: ## Service - Time: :00
23:34:56 T:2920409920   DEBUG: NEWADDON PythonCallbackHandler construction with PyThreadState 0xb0800468
23:34:56 T:2937195328    INFO: Scriptresult: Success
23:34:56 T:2937195328    INFO: Python script stopped
23:34:56 T:2937195328   DEBUG: Thread XBPyThread 2937195328 terminating
23:34:57 T:2981366592   DEBUG: NEWADDON PythonCallbackHandler construction with PyThreadState 0xbdb0dc0
23:36:27 T:3038066432   DEBUG: Previous line repeats 179 times.
23:36:27 T:3038066432   DEBUG: ADDON: Starting service addons.
23:36:27 T:2937195328  NOTICE: Thread CVideoInfoScanner start, auto delete: false
23:36:27 T:3038066432    INFO: initializing python engine.
23:36:27 T:3038066432   DEBUG: new python thread created. id=5
23:36:27 T:2928802624  NOTICE: Thread XBPyThread start, auto delete: false
23:36:27 T:2928802624   DEBUG: Python thread: start processing
23:36:27 T:3038066432  NOTICE: initialize done

any advice on what can be the problem ?

I also experience long delay when I quit xbmc (seems frozen from 15-25 seconds before xbmc disappear)
I must admit the startup time is more annoying...

thanks
/tharn
My start-up time doesn't seem much different from when I had Eden installed.

I did notice a big delay in shutdown time.
If I press the off button on the remote it takes at least 30 seconds to start shutting down.
(All other button presses have no delay on screen)
When I press the off button directly on my ion 330 it starts shutting down immediately.

So for me the shutdown time is more annoying. I have tried to find an answer on the forums, but nobody seems to have that problem (yet).
some edit: I thought it was related to the fact that the DB is on a remote mysql (gigabit ethernet only) but I tried on local, and result is the same
I think it could be an addon taking a lot of time, but I tried disabling some without success.

Are there specific addons that should better be disabled when the collection grows to a certain volume ? (but well, probably not the source of the problem as Eden had no problem with same volume... unless there is a specific Frodo addon that causes the problem)
I tried Frodo 12.1, with full loglevel set to 3. It is still painfully slow to start, with the following huge gap in log:

*snippet removed by moderator*

Any idea what the "suspended the sink" is about, and what comes after that can take 1:30 long before the service addons kicks in ?
Please no log snippets on the forums, always use http://xbmclogs.com/ and make sure it's a full debug log.

If wasn't for the fact that one of the snippets happened to mention Directsound, they'd be no way of even knowing what OS you are using, but since that's there I guess it's Windows but being only a snippet I've no idea what version.
hi. Sorry, did not know about xbmc logs.
the above log is indeed generated in windows.

full log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=5973

I have a setup on Windows8 x64 (test machine running in a VM), one on Windows7 x64 (actual machine) and one using Ubuntu (actual machine).
The 3 suffered from the same long start problem since Frodo 12.0.

I upgraded W8 x64 one to 12.1 to see if better with no change. The above log is from W8 x64 with XBMC 12.1
I had some random issues when upgrading to Frodo and worked through it in this thread (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1389722). Eventually, I just blew out all my db's and started from scratch (did this with Eden too). That seems to have cured most the issues but now I'm experiencing a rather long pause when initially starting XBMC. It stays on the black XBMC Frodo 12.1 splash screen for upwards of a full minute. Now this isn't the end of the world but I've never experienced this level of delay, not on Dharma, Eden and not even on Frodo when I had all those other issues before I blew out my db. Scanning also seems to be taking a lot longer than it used but maybe that's in my head. Below is a debug log:

pastebin.com/A7MAQnWD

Does anybody have any suggestions or see anything in that log that may help me lessen the wait time to get XBMC to the home screen after initially launching it?

Edit: I have Win7, ATV2, Mac OSX installations all running 12.1 and a MySQL db.
I have had the same issue which was all related to DB issues.
Do you have PhPMyAdmin installed to see if data is actually being populated into your MySql DB?

There is a local DB that gets populated if it cant connect to your MySql DB so make sure your MySql DB is being populated with data.

If it is not than you have an issue with permissions or basic connectivity or your MySql DB isn't online.

Take out the DB Settings from advancedsettings.xml and you will see that 1 minute delay go away which will confirm this is a DB issue.
יונתן בן-חיים
(2013-04-17, 19:38)nokdim Wrote: I have had the same issue which was all related to DB issues.
Do you have PhPMyAdmin installed to see if data is actually being populated into your MySql DB?

@nokdim, thanks for the response! Yes, phpMyAdmin shows the db populated and I'm seeing synced watch status's on multiple installations. So, though I have in the past, and undoubtedly will have in the future, issues with permissions, this does not appear to be the cause of my current issue.
I would suggest removing your videolibrary options from advancedsettings.xml on one client and see if the delay goes away to confirm if this is DB related or not.

It will not hurt to do this and you can add it back once you confirm if it is db related.

The only thing is I run V11 Eden as I have had issues with db on upgrades so I have been hesitant to upgrade to V12.

Good luck!
יונתן בן-חיים
(2013-04-17, 21:12)nokdim Wrote: I would suggest removing your videolibrary options from advancedsettings.xml on one client and see if the delay goes away to confirm if this is DB related or not.

It will not hurt to do this and you can add it back once you confirm if it is db related.

The only thing is I run V11 Eden as I have had issues with db on upgrades so I have been hesitant to upgrade to V12.

Good luck!

Yeah me too, i've had to blow out the db and start from scratch with both Frodo and Eden. I'll do that to test, but I'm sure the delay will be gone (as in I'm sure it is somehow related to the db) so I'm not sure what I'll do with this info since I'm def going to be using the MySQL db...
Did you delete the entire db and let XBMC rebuild it from scratch not just the content of tables?

I know in older versions you had to create the db like MyVideos but after Eden it would create the db MyVideosXX XX being some version number since they changed the db schema around and with upgrades it would create a new db...

Based on your log you are using MyVideos75 did you try and delete the db MyVideos75 and let XBMC rebuild that from scratch?

Do you have scan library on start-up enabled?

Do you have cleanonupdate enabled? I dont see this in your log this might help your scan times.
<cleanonupdate>true</cleanonupdate>
יונתן בן-חיים
(2013-04-17, 21:48)nokdim Wrote: Did you delete the entire db and let XBMC rebuild it from scratch not just the content of tables?

I know in older versions you had to create the db like MyVideos but after Eden it would create the db MyVideosXX XX being some version number since they changed the db schema around and with upgrades it would create a new db...

Based on your log you are using MyVideos75 did you try and delete the db MyVideos75 and let XBMC rebuild that from scratch?

Yes, I deleted everything in the database folder of the userdata folder and removed the <name> tag from my advanced settings. The old db's were xbmc_musicxx and xbmc_videoxx and on the first firing up of xbmc the MySQL db's MyVideosXX and MyMusicXX (with no xbmc_ prefix) were created.

(2013-04-17, 21:48)nokdim Wrote: Do you have scan library on start-up enabled?

Do you have cleanonupdate enabled? I dont see this in your log this might help your scan times.
<cleanonupdate>true</cleanonupdate>

Yes I have scan library on start-up enabled and as I mentioned in my first post it does seem to be taking more time than it used to. I don't have cleanonupdate enabled and fail to see how this would help my scan times. If anything it would make them take longer, right?
dont mess with the userdata folder thats all local cache stuff which is probably why it takes for ever to scan since it is trying to build a new image for every episode and show you have to display in the library.

login to phpmyadmin and drop the MyVideos75 and MyMusicXX db's and let it rebuild those again from scratch.

I would turn off scan on startup off until you get a good working library in the db and turn back on once your db is healthy and happy.

cleanonupdate actually deletes stuff from the library that is no longer on disk so if yo delete shows/movies after you watch them it will remove from library saving it time on scan so it should help after the first scan.
יונתן בן-חיים
13:31:49 T:6508 NOTICE: VideoInfoScanner: Starting scan ..
13:31:55 T:6904 NOTICE: Thread XBPyThread start, auto delete: false
13:31:55 T:6904 NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
13:31:55 T:7024 NOTICE: Thread CFileCache start, auto delete: false
13:33:00 T:7172 NOTICE: Previous line repeats 2 times.
13:33:00 T:7172 NOTICE: Thread Jobworker start, auto delete: true
13:33:00 T:6508 ERROR: Failed to open(//Movies/Menace II Society (1993)/.actors) opendir call failed with "NFS: Lookup of //Movies failed with NFS3ERR_NOENT(-2)"

I would suggest looking at your NFS mounts and seeing if they're mounting ok, looks like the delay is when the CFileCache kicks off
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
~1 minute delay when starting XBMC0